Diamonds from scrap

Yes. It's quite easy with a Redpower2 deployer and a bit of pneumatic tube / filter magic:

lCRVy.jpg

A more sophisticated approach uses a sorting machine to sort out the other valuable items from the scrap boxes too (gold dust, gold helmets, iron dust, coal dust, and so on.)

For the purposes of this demonstration I just hooked up an infinite source of scrap boxes. In practice an Automatic Crafting Table II could be used to make the scrap boxes out of the recycler's scrap.

All this said, this is pretty much the most inefficient way to generate diamonds there is - it's much more economical to use the scrap in a Mass Fabricator making UU-matter.

[Note: Equivalent Exchange is even cheaper, but hardly a challenge.]

Scrap boxes to make diamonds is rather inefficient compared to scrap used to make UU-Matter to make diamonds, though. Simply because, I believe, Diamonds are the lowest chance item from a scrap box. Wooden hoes are the highest, for some reason.

This may be true, but you also have to consider the astronomical amount of power UU-matter takes to make, not to mention the expensive machinery. If there's a 1% chance for a diamond (I don't know what it is tbh), you'll need 900 scrap per, but you'll also get some other useful stuff, and things you can recycle to make...more scrap. UU-matter it would take about a third that in scrap (306 per diamond), but also 1.5 million EU. At 35 EU/scrap...even that 600 scrap difference means...basically nothing.

It was without ee, because I would just use blaze rods if it were ee. I did want to do it this way because I had made a scrap factory, running off a few water mills, a geothermal generator and a standard generator. So electricity was a problem. Thank you to all of you, and I *might* let you know how it works out, if I ever decide to do it.

I'd be tempeted to hook this up to a few cobble gens, get multiple recyclers and a longer then nessassary sorting system just to have a whole bunch of items floating around the pipes and a cool looking machine.

The gold and diamonds would be a nice bonus.

Why not just hook up a condenser to a bunch of cobblestone generators? In theory it would be slower, but it requires no complicated or expensive equipment other then the condenser, and because cob gens are relatiely free, it would save you a lot of time(in setup and work) and it uses exactly 0 EU. See? Simple but long-lived solution for a complicated but short-lived problem.

Why not just hook up a condenser to a bunch of cobblestone generators? In theory it would be slower, but it requires no complicated or expensive equipment other then the condenser, and because cob gens are relatiely free, it would save you a lot of time(in setup and work) and it uses exactly 0 EU. See? Simple but long-lived solution for a complicated but short-lived problem.

Because Equivalent Exchange provides no challenge at all.

Frankly, I rank /creative mode/ as a harder way to get a lot of diamonds then EE, just because the condenser can make em faster then I can move stacks to chests.

I think the whole point is to /make/ an over engineered scrap machine here, else UU matter would be the obvious answer.

Personally am a fan of the automated crafting table approach combined with IC2 machines. 64 coal, 8 flint and an obsidian later you get a diamond using a couple of compressors, a couple of automated crafting tables and a macerator. Highly recommend heavily overclocking the macerator if you do this though, waiting on all that coal dust is a bit of a pain.

Too bad EE makes the diamond just outta the stack of coal in a condensor.

Wow, nice, bump a dead thread with a comment completely defying the OP. Making diamonds from scrap is a power friendly method, and does not require excessive amounts of coal, as there is no ee. But thank you to all of you that did chip into the conversation in the correct manner.