Making A Texture Pack

R1mP3x

Hey guys,

Im looking to make a texture pack but im not sure where all the files are.

I know how to get the basic minecraft files and folders but im stuck on where the tekkit files are.

If anyone could tell me where they are that would be great :D

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, I signed up just to help; unfortunately I cannot help with a video -yet- but here is the main things you need;

1.) as Smurfkiller said you go into %appdata%, in there you go to .techniclauncher

2.) Within .techniclauncher there are many folders depending on which type of minecraft you installed (aka tekkit, yogscast, ect.) here go to the "tekkit" named folder.

3.) [quite important!!!] When there, you will want to make a backup of the mods folder either in your documents folder or on your desktop (just in case).

4.) once thats done, open the mods folder and you will see a bunch of rar/zip/java files. These are all the mods tekkit runs off on (all 41).

5.) open the files (even the java files) using winrar.

At this point its blind luck if you find the exact thing you want to re-skin, but here are some markers:

Most mods will have either a telltale sign (such as block_machine will be machines and item_ will be items). Everything that starts with gui_ will be the background image of what you interact with within the game (aka crafting tables and furnaces etc.)

IC2 block files can be found here: industrialcraft-2-client_1.97.jar -> ic2 -> sprites (here the machines are titled block_machine.png and block_machine2.png and items are under item_0.png)

Buildcraft textures are here: buildcraft-client-A-core.zip -> net -> minecraft -> src -> buildcraft -> core -> gui -> block_textures.png

Railcraft textures: Railcraft_Client_5.3.3.zip -> railcraft -> textures -> railcraft.png

Redpower World: RedPowerWorld-2.0pr5b2.zip -> eloraam -> world -> world1.png

EE: EE2ClientV1.4.6.5.jar -> ee -> art -> sprites -> eqexterra.png (eqexsheet.png is the item texturepack)

Ironchests: mod_ironchests-client-3.8.0.40.zip -> cpw -> mods -> ironchest -> sprites -> block_textures.png

Weaponmod: Weaponmod.zip -> gui -> weaponmod -> weapons.png (the cannon and other textures are in the other folder titled item -> weaponmod -> ... - I havent touched these in my personal reskinning yet, so I have no idea what is what yet, but it should be straight forward)

There is a bunch of other folders and textures, but I think it shouldn't be that hard to find them. Pretty much you need to look out for folders named either "textures" "sprites" or "gui", and with a little bit of luck you find what you were looking for.

I hope this was helpful.

Happy Skinning!

Decoy out.

• 2 weeks later...

if

hmmm. I use pixelmator, but I wonder now if I didn't save it as a png...

you didnt save it as PNG. all the translucent images like water or the single images like saplings and other images smaller than a block will have white backgrounds

png lets you save images with transparent backgrounds or semi opaque images

so do all the flies have to be input into the zips in the tekkit mods folder? (made account to ask)

i mean, once i edit them, can i put them in a zip texturepack in a format like vanilla MC and have extra folders

ex: mffs_rev7_for_1.2.5-client\mod_client\mffs_grafik\blahblahblah.png

IN the same texture zip. or do they need to be installed seperate. i am asking because i make textures for vanilla MC and am hoping that one doesn't need to install everything by hand, throws off some people.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I signed up just to help; unfortunately I cannot help with a video -yet- but here is the main things you need;

1.) as Smurfkiller said you go into %appdata%, in there you go to .techniclauncher

2.) Within .techniclauncher there are many folders depending on which type of minecraft you installed (aka tekkit, yogscast, ect.) here go to the "tekkit" named folder.

3.) [quite important!!!] When there, you will want to make a backup of the mods folder either in your documents folder or on your desktop (just in case).

4.) once thats done, open the mods folder and you will see a bunch of rar/zip/java files. These are all the mods tekkit runs off on (all 41).

5.) open the files (even the java files) using winrar.

At this point its blind luck if you find the exact thing you want to re-skin, but here are some markers:

Most mods will have either a telltale sign (such as block_machine will be machines and item_ will be items). Everything that starts with gui_ will be the background image of what you interact with within the game (aka crafting tables and furnaces etc.)

IC2 block files can be found here: industrialcraft-2-client_1.97.jar -> ic2 -> sprites (here the machines are titled block_machine.png and block_machine2.png and items are under item_0.png)

Buildcraft textures are here: buildcraft-client-A-core.zip -> net -> minecraft -> src -> buildcraft -> core -> gui -> block_textures.png

Railcraft textures: Railcraft_Client_5.3.3.zip -> railcraft -> textures -> railcraft.png

Redpower World: RedPowerWorld-2.0pr5b2.zip -> eloraam -> world -> world1.png

EE: EE2ClientV1.4.6.5.jar -> ee -> art -> sprites -> eqexterra.png (eqexsheet.png is the item texturepack)

Ironchests: mod_ironchests-client-3.8.0.40.zip -> cpw -> mods -> ironchest -> sprites -> block_textures.png

Weaponmod: Weaponmod.zip -> gui -> weaponmod -> weapons.png (the cannon and other textures are in the other folder titled item -> weaponmod -> ... - I havent touched these in my personal reskinning yet, so I have no idea what is what yet, but it should be straight forward)

There is a bunch of other folders and textures, but I think it shouldn't be that hard to find them. Pretty much you need to look out for folders named either "textures" "sprites" or "gui", and with a little bit of luck you find what you were looking for.

I hope this was helpful.

Happy Skinning!

Decoy out.

Thank you so much for this I cant wait to see a video if you do! :D