Spacetoad stepping down as Buildcraft's developer. :o

Rbd25

Hey guys, I was just checking out the different mods in the pack, seeing if any of the developers have had any thoughts on 1.2 and noticed on spacetoad's blog that he has decided to hand over the responsibility of Buildcraft to the community, specifically Krapht and SirSengir. (Logistics Pipes and Forestry) Just figured I would post this over here and give everyone a heads up.

Link to Blog: http://www.mod-buildcraft.com/

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I appreciate all the work that SpaceToad did on Buildcraft, it is one of my favorite mods. From what I've seen from logistics pipes, and the bit Ive seen from forestry, I'm thinking that Krapht and Sengir could keep it going though. I would also imagine that both logistics pipes and forestry will end up becoming merged into Buildcraft instead of being separate.

Also I'm not too sure on what Sengir's Opinion is of technic pack... would be something one of the technic guys would need to clarify I think, I'm hoping he is alright with it however, maybe krapht will turn him to the light :D

Ah, Interesting. I'm wondering about Krapht now.. Also another thought came to mind, Isn't Spacetoad one of the major people in Minecraft Forge development? If so, what if he is stopping development for that as well? that could be... problematic.

Ah, Interesting. I'm wondering about Krapht now.. Also another thought came to mind, Isn't Spacetoad one of the major people in Minecraft Forge development? If so, what if he is stopping development for that as well? that could be... problematic.

Mojang supported API coming out soonâ„¢. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

While I'm not entirely sure that's been officially, explicitly said by anyone who would know for sure, I find it believable. Notch said he wanted to make the game more mod-compatible "eventually," and Jeb seems to be working very hard to that end. Notch even said he was glad that Jeb was doing things he was "hesitant" to do. (Whether he was genuinely worried about problems some of these things might have presented or just lazy is an interesting question, but it's not very important and I'd take his word on good faith.)

While it has been said about eloraam working with jeb on the new modding api, the thing that has worried some is that it will split the modding community, with some moving to using the new system and the rest keeping their work on the already functioning forge, like they have been doing for so long already. I'm, hoping that with eloraam helping, that it will be made easy for modders to have their mods on this new api. I believe cheapshot or kaker made a post about the new api and what it meant for technic, and this was a concern of theirs.

While it has been said about eloraam working with jeb on the new modding api, the thing that has worried some is that it will split the modding community, with some moving to using the new system and the rest keeping their work on the already functioning forge, like they have been doing for so long already. I'm, hoping that with eloraam helping, that it will be made easy for modders to have their mods on this new api. I believe cheapshot or kaker made a post about the new api and what it meant for technic, and this was a concern of theirs.

I doubt that this will be of any major consequence. The best coders are mostly very pragmatic people, and will use whatever functions best.

Worst case scenario, we lose a couple of the lowest quality pieces of technicpack. and then, noticing the missing pieces of the community, someone else will fill them in.

tl;dr don't worry, be happy.

There's also the possibility of some of them being plainly lazy, including the minds behind the big mods. Minecraft modding, much like many modding circles, seems to imitate evolution in some respects, so I sincerely doubt it will be an annoyance in the long-term. However, in the temporary it could cause a schism a bit along these lines:

1 print "MY API'S THE BEST!"

2 print "NUH-UH! MINE IS!"

3 print "NUH-UH! MINE IS!"

4 goto 2

So, does anyone know if SirSengir is chill with the technic pack like Eloraam and Albaka, or is he another child from the flowers?

SirSengir disapproves of Technic. Krapht is cool with it. So that's what all the fun will be.

Oh, please. If anyone's worried about this, calm down. If I may be overly dramatic but very truthful for a moment: There is no force in all of existence stronger than a tenacious will. A commitment to a passion grants ample tenacity to any will, and the team behind Technic are clearly rather passionate about this wonderful little hobby of theirs. Clearly if your strong reaction is genuine it emboldens your willpower about staying with the team. Things might go all wayward and topsy-turvy for a while, just like they might do the same anywhere else from time to time. However, a strong mind and its strong will has kept ordinary men of woman born guarded from bullets, blades, breaks in bones and battered bodies. A short time of "Gah, these people have all gone beyond the pale!" with no physical violence and generally petty problems due to it being on the internet is comparatively nothing. In the long term, Minecraft and the Technic Pack and so on will be fine. In the short term, anyone staunchly dedicated to the Technic pack and its ideas of a better Minecraft will see the worst that could happen as a minor nuisance and maybe leave the official Minecraft fora and possibly other places they may be in favor of places like this one, likely only temporarily until the storm blows over. Technic will survive on some level, and I for one look forward to the healthy competition that may come soon.

Oh, please. If anyone's worried about this, calm down. If I may be overly dramatic but very truthful for a moment: There is no force in all of existence stronger than a tenacious will. A commitment to a passion grants ample tenacity to any will, and the team behind Technic are clearly rather passionate about this wonderful little hobby of theirs. Clearly if your strong reaction is genuine it emboldens your willpower about staying with the team. Things might go all wayward and topsy-turvy for a while, just like they might do the same anywhere else from time to time. However, a strong mind and its strong will has kept ordinary men of woman born guarded from bullets, blades, breaks in bones and battered bodies. A short time of "Gah, these people have all gone beyond the pale!" with no physical violence and generally petty problems due to it being on the internet is comparatively nothing. In the long term, Minecraft and the Technic Pack and so on will be fine. In the short term, anyone staunchly dedicated to the Technic pack and its ideas of a better Minecraft will see the worst that could happen as a minor nuisance and maybe leave the official Minecraft fora and possibly other places they may be in favor of places like this one, likely only temporarily until the storm blows over. Technic will survive on some level, and I for one look forward to the healthy competition that may come soon.

tl;dr