Spacetoad stepping down as Buildcraft's developer. :o

Rbd25

Technic will surely survive and anyone who's worried is paranoid.

This isn't about Technic's survival, it's about BC's continuing development, considering the two new authors are on different terms with a very important subject.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technic will surely survive and anyone who's worried is paranoid.

All that Technic is dead stuff is joke.

This isn't about Technic's survival, it's about BC's continuing development, considering the two new authors are on different terms with a very important subject.

It will be interesting to see the outcome.

One of Industrialcraft's developers is the guy who released a mod that crashed your game if it detected Technic. If Industrialcraft is still in the pack, I don't think Buildcraft is going away either.

That guy actually joined the technic IRC, and, after discovering that the team isn't jerks like he thought, he changed his mind entirely. :p

That guy actually joined the technic IRC, and, after discovering that the team isn't jerks like he thought, he changed his mind entirely. :P

Yeah it seems a lot of people have the assumption that the team is a bunch of lazy bums who just steal money from the modders by giving away the mods for free (Some see it as stealing because it cost the user like 8 cents on ad.fly). That is the one bad thing about the modding community, they are a tad touchy with mods because they can actually make (very little) money from them. Also, programming a mod to crash if it detected a modpack, that is actually kind of cool, what mod was it? (I'm just curious.)

I don't think the guy who released that IC2 addon that crashed technic when used was actually one of the IC2 developers. I could be wrong on this because we never even bothered with his shitty mod, but he just made some stupid solar hats and it was just some addon, not anything official. That's all it was. He had the brilliant idea to put in some bad code that crashed people using techinc. Funny thing though, the way it worked was that it just detected if you were using certain mods together to decide if it was going to crash you or not. People who took the time to install the mods themselves going through everyones adf.ly links and spending days or longer working out conflicts and patching them together...well they got crashed too and were presented with a pantronizing and idiotic message condemning them for using "techinc". Oops!

As for the current discussion. Forestry guy hates us and actually sent back a 50 dollar donation KakerMix sent him to show his appreciation. He hangs out with Spacetoad, who also hates us, so nothing will change other then BC will probably never expand or get better after this. Him and spacetoad are both in the Flowerchild clubhouse for boys, and they all seem to share the same hyper-negative attitude. I don't know about the other guy.

I know the solar hat dude wasn't a developer at the time, but I think he's part of the Industrialcraft team now, and his hats are now part of the core Industrialcraft mod.

I didn't know about him actually getting to know the Technic team was the reason he changed his mind, though, so that's good.

I know the solar hat dude wasn't a developer at the time, but I think he's part of the Industrialcraft team now, and his hats are now part of the core Industrialcraft mod.

I didn't know about him actually getting to know the Technic team was the reason he changed his mind, though, so that's good.

Did that happen? Man oh, I don't even know. Maybe Kaker will cry into a wizard bowl and share his memories with you.

I don't think the guy who released that IC2 addon that crashed technic when used was actually one of the IC2 developers. I could be wrong on this because we never even bothered with his shitty mod, but he just made some stupid solar hats and it was just some addon, not anything official. That's all it was. He had the brilliant idea to put in some bad code that crashed people using techinc. Funny thing though, the way it worked was that it just detected if you were using certain mods together to decide if it was going to crash you or not. People who took the time to install the mods themselves going through everyones adf.ly links and spending days or longer working out conflicts and patching them together...well they got crashed too and were presented with a pantronizing and idiotic message condemning them for using "techinc". Oops!

As for the current discussion. Forestry guy hates us and actually sent back a 50 dollar donation KakerMix sent him to show his appreciation. He hangs out with Spacetoad, who also hates us, so nothing will change other then BC will probably never expand or get better after this. Him and spacetoad are both in the Flowerchild clubhouse for boys, and they all seem to share the same hyper-negative attitude. I don't know about the other guy.

Whoa! S.T hates us? Sweet mother of god. Also Sengir should appreciate those 50 bucks because I mean look at the fucking economy problems were having here in the U.S! some people need to know appreciation >:(

Whoa! S.T hates us? Sweet mother of god. Also Sengir should appreciate those 50 bucks because I mean look at the fucking economy problems were having here in the U.S! some people need to know appreciation >:(

People are weird like that. The money and fame from making Minecraft mods seems to highly affect some modder and thus they see modpacks as stealing some of that fame and fortune and donations from the guys that run it as "Here is some payoff so you like me and I don't feel bad." I kinda wonder if modders would be less protective it they didn't expect to make money or become community famous.

I personally would have taken the money if I were a modder, but I wouldn't care about making money or getting fame from modding.

People are weird like that. The money and fame from making Minecraft mods seems to highly affect some modder and thus they see modpacks as stealing some of that fame and fortune and donations from the guys that run it as "Here is some payoff so you like me and I don't feel bad."

Fact. Every modder in the technic pack who accepts donations has made more money and gotten more exposure since their inclusion in technic then ever would have been possible with just adf.ly and being standalone.

We were kinda hoping they'd all suddenly think rationally and say "Hey, this is a lucky break!". Apparently we're bad guys though? I donno, it's hard to follow the plot, and the characters are cartoonish and impossible to relate to. I liked the book better.

Fact. Every modder in the technic pack who accepts donations has made more money and gotten more exposure since their inclusion in technic then ever would have been possible with just adf.ly and being standalone.

We were kinda hoping they'd all suddenly think rationally and say "Hey, this is a lucky break!". Apparently we're bad guys though? I donno, it's hard to follow the plot, and the characters are cartoonish and impossible to relate to. I liked the book better.

As they say in New York, "WORD TOO YO"

Right, so lemme get this right so far:

Anti-Technic: FlowerChild, Sir Sengir, Spacetoad, CovertJaguar

Pro-Technic: Eloraam, Albaka, Azanor? (Last time i checked, he had that disclaimer telling Kake not to take his mod.) Krapht

Anyone I missed so far?

That's huamnity for you... allways assuming the worst of everyone :'( . Just wondering though why do you guys think the technic has this general bad image to modders despite being really good and honest in reality? What happened to cause such a thought to occur?

One of Industrialcraft's developers is the guy who released a mod that crashed your game if it detected Technic.

I'm pretty sure that would come under whatever equivalent of the Computer Misuse Act Section 3 (I'm in the UK) exists in his country. That's just a glorified trojan horse.

hindos: Because people are fucking stupid and the minecraft community is also severely autistic:

The best modpack ever made (not counting the Yogbox) comes out, and people go "OMFG WHAT IS THIS THE MODDERS ARE MAYBE POSSIBLY MAKING 2 CENTS LESS PER YEAR THIS IS HORRIBLE".

TMI stagnates for months (even now it's exactly the same as the version for Minecraft 1.0), someone makes a new mod from scratch called NEI which is substantially superior and just quite amazing, and people go "OMG IT LOOKS SIMILAR IT MUST BE COPYING ALL OF TMI CODE BURN IN HELL".

Eloraam makes an awesome mod with unique features that resemble stuff in Buildcraft and Industrialcraft (but are either much better or very different), and people accuse her of "copying" BC and IC.

I'm sure there's a bunch more idiocy that's just not as obvious/public, too. Basically, there is no reason, people are dumb, etc.

hindos: Because people are fucking stupid and the minecraft community is also severely autistic:

The best modpack ever made (not counting the Yogbox) comes out, and people go "OMFG WHAT IS THIS THE MODDERS ARE MAYBE POSSIBLY MAKING 2 CENTS LESS PER YEAR THIS IS HORRIBLE".

TMI stagnates for months (even now it's exactly the same as the version for Minecraft 1.0), someone makes a new mod from scratch called NEI which is substantially superior and just quite amazing, and people go "OMG IT LOOKS SIMILAR IT MUST BE COPYING ALL OF TMI CODE BURN IN HELL".

Eloraam makes an awesome mod with unique features that resemble stuff in Buildcraft and Industrialcraft (but are either much better or very different), and people accuse her of "copying" BC and IC.

I'm sure there's a bunch more idiocy that's just not as obvious/public, too. Basically, there is no reason, people are dumb, etc.

Bro there's this mod called Future Craft and so many people are hating on it because it copies B.C, R.P., MFR, and Laser mod all together.

I just love how people seem to think any Minecraft mod makers hold any form of valid legal protection upon their derivative work. If Mojang really wanted to, they could go after all the modders who use adf.ly, fools who expect people to pay hundreds of dollars a month to play on their defective Minecraft server that's desolate and lifeless because nobody can do anything without paying endless tiered fees, and many others, even including modders in general. Though that last one's almost surely never going to happen due to Mojang's general desire for Minecraft to be moddable. It would literally take one small ToU update even assuming the grounds to do it aren't already there but unenforced.

• Forum Administrators

All of this pissy drama will be forgotten anyway, people will remember the great fun they had playing the game, alone and with friends.

Technic has always been about making the modded Minecraft experience easy to get into, that's why we've went from 2 folders you drop onto Minecraft, to the yogbox-style installer, to the Launcher.

All of this pissy drama will be forgotten anyway, people will remember the great fun they had playing the game, alone and with friends.

Technic has always been about making the modded Minecraft experience easy to get into, that's why we've went from 2 folders you drop onto Minecraft, to the yogbox-style installer, to the Launcher.

True. I would type more but I seem to end up ranting if I try. I will say I do like the ease of use that the launcher provides, while I could download, install, and config all the files myself it is nice to not have to do that and it does help make modding easier for the technically inept (though you wouldn't like the Technic pack much if you were) and kind of shows how mod instillation could be so you could have multiple modded minecrafts without have to switch jars or use tools like the Minecraft Profile Manager (which only works on windows and maybe wine if you can figure out who to get Mono to function correctly to read all the .net code).

It would literally take one small ToU update even assuming the grounds to do it aren't already there but unenforced.

Yup, it IS already there. Currently minecrafts ToS has one clause in it that prohibits modding entirely. It's just that they don't enforce it and have a bunch of misleading stuff in there about modding so people have assumed it's allowed, but any time Notch wants he can tap a single sentence and go "You've all violated my terms of service. Hand over your mods."

It's why all these modders arguing about their copyrights is such a sad joke. It's not even just they their stuff is derivative work, it's also not protected at all, since Notch can pull the rug out on anyone, any time he feels like.