Mass Effect Relays close to reality!

FFGF

I going to assume you live miles from the sea and don't know a frigate is a type of ship. The more usual botanical structure, suitable for the surface of Mars is a greenhouse.

actually... i live in england.... i feel ashamed for forgetting that tidbit of info.... i guess it's seppuku time for me...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lives in england =/= is english

but i'm not japanese either

That's why I didn't say you're English ;)

But hey top yourself anyway you want to.

Probably what we could end up doing is manipulating gravo-magnetic fields ahead of the craft to create an entirely new space where everything acts like it has zero mass.

Unless space genuinely is curved, at which point that goes out the window.

But then we're on to trekkie warp drive thingies.

There is no evidence for a gravito-magnetic field, they haven't even got a theory of gravity yet. In my opinion, anything that some how had its mass removed would instantly convert to energy and fuck off at the speed of light, never to be seen again.

In my opinion, anything that some how had its mass removed would instantly convert to energy and fuck off at the speed of light, never to be seen again.

Ah, no. I say acts like it's mass has been removed.

Say if you began accelerating a graphite pencil from 0 to c, would it actually get bigger?

The field, which you are correct in saying hasn't been proved yet, but CERN could change that, would create an entirely new space where this is possible.

Then we could all fuck off at faster than the speed of light to wherever we wanted to, in our bubble of human engineered space.

It's like a middle finger to the laws of physics.

We already do plenty of travelling to Mars, we send probes and see what happens.

The cost of this is comparatively low to the cost of sending humans there.

The probes can do the same things humans can, but for much longer as they do not require life support.

And they won't cause human loss in the event of an accident.

The only reason I can think of for sending humans to another planet would be to popularise space flight again, which although important holds no scientific value.

Or, act as diplomats to an alien intelligence, which we have yet to find, and are unlikely to find, ever.

Sure there is lots of life, it would be very arrogant of me to say that we're the only living creatures in the universe.

The big issue though is distance, without faster than light travel going to another star which has a planet in orbit that supports life would take thousands of years.

We already do plenty of travelling to Mars, we send probes and see what happens.

The probes can do the same things humans can, but for much longer as they do not require life support.

The only reason I can think of for sending humans to another planet would be to popularise space flight again, which although important holds no scientific value.

Or, act as diplomats to an alien intelligence, which we have yet to find, and are unlikely to find, ever.

Sure there is lots of life, it would be very arrogant of me to say that we're the only living creatures in the universe.

The big issue though is distance, without faster than light travel going to another star which has a planet in orbit that supports life would take thousands of years.

Or maybe they will come to us, which is most likely to end disastrous (as seen in many topics about finding extra-terrestrial life e.g Mass Effect's First Contact War, various theory's and movie).

Or maybe they will come to us, which is most likely to end disastrous (as seen in many topics about finding extra-terrestrial life e.g Mass Effect's First Contact War, various theory's and movie).

They won't, they never have, and probably never will visit us as intelligent beings.

I'm very much open to ideas like panspermia, other than that I'm very sure about aliens not ever having visited us.

For the future we're not interesting (yet) enough for a higher intelligence to come visit us.

The resources on our planet are abundant in the universe, we as a species are self-destructive, and we have no real power to fear or covet.

There just isn't any justification for another intelligent species to spend the resources needed to visit us.

Oh and if an alien race wants to use us as slaves, why not build robotics ones that, don't whine, die, starve, or get sick.

They won't, they never have, and probably never will visit us as intelligent beings.

I'm very much open to ideas like panspermia, other than that I'm very sure about aliens not ever having visited us.

For the future we're not interesting (yet) enough for a higher intelligence to come visit us.

The resources on our planet are abundant in the universe, we as a species are self-destructive, and we have no real power to fear or covet.

There just isn't any justification for another intelligent species to spend the resources needed to visit us.

Oh and if an alien race wants to use us as slaves, why not build robotics ones that, don't whine, die, starve, or get sick.

Well most likely to make us slaves, harvest us for whatever, kill us and take off with our resources/populate earth.

Well most likely to make us slaves, harvest us for whatever, kill us and take off with our resources/populate earth.

The materials that they would harvest from us are abundant in the universe, and freely harvested from uninhabited systems nearer to them.

As for the slave thing read my last sentence.

@ DanielJin

With higher intellect comes higher level moral values, and insight. Therefore putting us in a zoo would not fit with the level of intellect required to come to us.

It's also not a reasonable objective considering the incredible amount of resources required to come here. Are they really going to spend the energy of an entire star system to travel to us, and kidnap us for a zoo display?

Is having humans in a zoo really that important?

@ DanielJin

With higher intellect comes higher level moral values, and insight. Therefore putting us in a zoo would not fit with the level of intellect required to come to us.

It's also not a reasonable objective considering the incredible amount of resources required to come here. Are they really going to spend the energy of an entire star system to travel to us, and kidnap us for a zoo display?

Joking aside, I agree with you that aliens would never visit us as a intellgent species, even if they found us, they will probalay just see us as some animals.

• Moderators

It seems that too many people have spent too much time looking at fake ufo youtube videos.

How about a more proper introduction to the "proof of alien life".

Take it for whatever it is.

Oh, its fuck-long too, so grab a cup of tea and enjoy :)

The materials that they would harvest from us are abundant in the universe, and freely harvested from uninhabited systems nearer to them.

As for the slave thing read my last sentence.

@ DanielJin

Well it would be cheaper to spend the necessary fuel and resources to get here/turn us into slaves, since we can easily/rapidly reproduce, so we could be enslaved to generate power or they could use our limbs, bones, and skin to make furniture or just consume us because maybe we're a delicacies; besides all that I would hope to meet an extra-terrestrial to question/study their entire history and culture because human history is so short, and it's culture is despicable (as of right now) for example, most people would rather save a child than someone with a lot of intellect say somebody that works in a Science field, maybe Astronomy; I hate the fact that most people would rather save the child than save the Astronomer in a life or death situation, since most likely the Astronomer would bring more to the human species than the child who will most likely grow up to a lesser profession; so maybe their population has finally come into a higher level of thinking that the population should benefit more than the individual.

Well it would be cheaper to spend the necessary fuel and resources to get here/turn us into slaves, since we can easily/rapidly reproduce, so we could be enslaved to generate power or they could use our limbs, bones, and skin to make furniture or just consume us because maybe we're a delicacies; besides all that I would hope to meet an extra-terrestrial to question/study their entire history and culture because human history is so short, and it's culture is despicable (as of right now) for example, most people would rather save a child than someone with a lot of intellect say somebody that works in a Science field, maybe Astronomy; I hate the fact that most people would rather save the child than save the Astronomer in a life or death situation, since most likely the Astronomer would bring more to the human species than the child who will most likely grow up to a lesser profession; so maybe their population has finally come into a higher level of thinking that the population should benefit more than the individual.

I am sorry, however your argument makes so little sense I am having difficulty considering it as an argument.

Are you trolling me, or are you just that disillusioned?

@munaus

I'm looking at the video you sent me, the first speaker who delivers a testimony of '86 already contradicts all radar accounts from before '86 as he said this was the first recorded radar sighting.

Immediately after him we have several people claiming such incidents before '86.

I haven't finished the vid yet, but I'll get back on it after I do.

Any thing accelerated to the speed of light actually distorts in the view point of an external observer. It gets shorter, until, at the speed of light, it disappears up its own arse. It also gains apparent mass until, at the speed of light, its mass goes to infinity, it turns into a black hole and disappears up its own arse. According to accepted physics, nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light, close to it, but not at it. However there is nothing to stop something travelling faster than light as the equations only go to infinity at the exact speed of light. However, you would then be travelling backwards in time and this would violate causality. And, the final bugbear, how would you get to the speed of light plus a bit without accelerating through that speed? (and disappearing up your own arse.)

@ all the UFO believers,

1) All RADAR imagery is inherently unreliable, I wont (actually I can't, how cool is that) go in to details but there are many techniques that 'move' RADAR images so the missiles (or what ever) are guided to the place the aircraft (usually aircraft) isnt. Military ECM is a very interesting field but good luck getting Johnny Pilot to admit he flicked the wrong switch in the cockpit and jammed the local ATC.

2) It is a quirk of inertial navigation systems that they don't work very well at low speeds and therefore arn't used much in helicopters very much (GPS is much better for them). GPS is a relatively new invention and is vulnerable to jamming (North Korea like to do it) and so Heli crews train in navigating by a variety of means. The simplest is to look down and match what you see to what's on the map. Old school but it works well during the day, not so much at night though.

Here's a scenario for you 'true believers' A heli crew is doing night flying training but are unsure of their position, it's pitch black but they notice some car head lights, they follow the car and it stops, its either got to its destination or a junction. Great it's a junction, this is handy the helicopter approaches slowly from the rear of the car (as it's been following it), there is a road sign (brilliant) the heli comes over the vehicle, turns it's spotlight on and the crew reads the sign post. They know exactly where they are, the spotlight goes off and they fly away.

Now imagine you're in the car...You're driving along, it's very dark, you don't know quite where you are so you stop at a junction and check the sign, a roaring noise starts but there is nothing there, then you might notice a bright flashing light coming up behind you but there might not be. The noise gets louder, the bushes are blowing this way and that, the car begins to rock when suddenly a bright white light spears down from above. You panic, time moves strangely to someone in a real panic, they also tend to fumble things, flashing lights can also cause seizures. You come to your senses sometime later, you have no clue what just happened, there is no evidence apart from a few flattened stalks and a damp patch in your pants.

Strangely enough, news paper clippings appear on the notice board of the local rotary wing squadrons, its as if by magic.....or was it aliens???

Theoretically, aliens have a rather large chance of existence, whether their planetary conditions are equivalent to ours, or they have simply adapted to a different climate. (un)fortunately, they are at closest light years away. Without technology advanced enough to move us across space in a reasonable time frame, those aliens will have to go on without us for the time being. Assuming wormholes were an option, it could be done, but if wormholes do indeed exist, it is most likely at the center of a black hole, which screws time and space and is the size of a penny

I can't believe nobody brought this up yet. so I'll just leave this here. (It's especially funny because of all those 'bla bla the governement' people. Legally speaking, right now, it is not allowed for countries to own planets. They agreed to it. The reason NASA is so 'meh' nowadays is because private companies are starting to take over. As they should.)

http://mars-one.com/en/

• Moderators

Living in Mars? Only one way I can see that will end.

First they'll be stunned by the view of an entire planet of wasteland

Then annoyed by doing nothing then work work work work...

There will be infighting... small details first, "who left that banana pile here? Can't you people recycle?", "Oh come on you guys, do try to finish the dishes!"

Then they will start to get crazy and show abnormal behavior "All work and no rest makes Marsman a dull boy"

Then... the fat one will kill the other three and eat them!

I'll give the project about 4 months before things get awry...

Living in Mars? Only one way I can see that will end.

First they'll be stunned by the view of an entire planet of wasteland

Then annoyed by doing nothing then work work work work...

There will be infighting... small details first, "who left that banana pile here? Can't you people recycle?", "Oh come on you guys, do try to finish the dishes!"

Then they will start to get crazy and show abnormal behavior "All work and no rest makes Marsman a dull boy"

Then... the fat one will kill the other three and eat them!

I'll give the project about 4 months before things get awry...

As long as I can take my minecraft on Mars, my mental state should stay stable.

By close I hope you mean 500-600 years from now, I mean we only landed on the moon once and people still think it is bullshit. The only way to get to Mars is to either FTL/teleport there or build a giant botanical frigate that can provide life, food, water and last for generations. It also has to have an infinite fuel source and stay in one piece. Since NASA isn't getting much of shit for funding we will NOT see it in our life time.

Generations? You mean months, right? To land a guy on Mars takes 40 billion. But, flying him back, well, that's a whole nother story.

As of yet, humans can still do much, much more. I one day a rover can only go about 500 meters.

Theoretically, aliens have a rather large chance of existence, whether their planetary conditions are equivalent to ours, or they have simply adapted to a different climate. (un)fortunately, they are at closest light years away. Without technology advanced enough to move us across space in a reasonable time frame, those aliens will have to go on without us for the time being. Assuming wormholes were an option, it could be done, but if wormholes do indeed exist, it is most likely at the center of a black hole, which screws time and space and is the size of a penny

The lack of observed alien existence is called 'The Fermi Paradox' and was proposed in the 1950s. I have my own thoughts on where they are.

Generations? You mean months, right? To land a guy on Mars takes 40 billion. But, flying him back, well, that's a whole nother story.

$40 billion was a couple of decades ago but the price tag would still be a whole lot lower than bailing out some shit bank.