Soul and Greed's guide to tekkit servers

soulgriever

Hi me and greed run two of the deluxe tekkit server's and unlike most of the servers out there Greed and I decided to help each other improve our servers constructively rather then try to compete with each other like most.

So what is this thread about..... Obviously with Parsonage and Route66 being two different servers we both have different views on different things. So we will do our best to bring you the best of both sides to help you with whichever route you choose

Now first off I will start out with saying some mods that I recommend ABSOLUTELY need to go.

The MODS

Yes I can tell you that EE has to go but honestly that's players choice. I'm not getting into that full debate that's not what this topic is for, But one mods you need to watch yourself on is Wireless Redstone and I personaly recommend removing Balkons as most of its items bypass most protection plugins out there and you usually find yourself some players camping spawn with them.

there is no difference on removing or disabling ?

only its a lot easyer to just remove what you dont need then if you have to block craft/hold/place of every item of the mod, this will make your permissions file/database even more complex when its not even needed.

And rule [1] To building database or even flatfile's. Make them easy and dont make them hard to edit! So less items = more freedom to work and make everything work smoother

also if somewone hacks your server and is able to /op he can still bypass the blockt items and still use them, if removed he cant

thats why remove is better then block

Like in my server

Removed:

EE

WeaponsMod

Enderchests

Additional pipes

Ender ores

Bloacked:

Computercraft (since admins use and soon supporters as well )

This guy is talking about getting the developers to remove EE completely, and this is where I disagree. Why remove it completely when the administrator can have the option to disable it himself.. In-fact, there is a different between disabling only a -few- functions from a mod rather than -completely- remove the whole this.

EE has some fantastic things (alch bags, merc eye, flying ring, condensors) but also has some unbalanced/griefing things (mk3 collectors/relays, catalytic lens/destruction catalyst, ring of arcana, etc,) bugged exploitable items (RM furnace, alchemy chests, black hole band in alchemy bag, transmutation tablets, etc). Overall, its a fantastic mod, but really wasn't designed with SMP in mind. This would of been fine if not for the config being not very flexible to turn off/reduce/partially disable certain items and such. Currently on the server I'm admin on, we've been working with the owner to try and balance EE without removing it entirely. Often that seems the easier option. Players have a bit of a knack of getting around the more vanilla methods, ie, ban RM furnance, but instead they put it down with an auto-crafter and deployer. We've resorted to actually removing the patterns, so items aren't craftable under normal circumstances. This also allows us to use our economy to make these 'restricted' items purchasable, but in a strictly controlled manner.

This guy is talking about getting the developers to remove EE completely, and this is where I disagree. Why remove it completely when the administrator can have the option to disable it himself.. In-fact, there is a different between disabling only a -few- functions from a mod rather than -completely- remove the whole this.

i think you need to read the dam post a bit better first mate :) ! we are talking about server's not tekkit in a whole !

EE has some fantastic things (alch bags, merc eye, flying ring, condensors) but also has some unbalanced/griefing things (mk3 collectors/relays, catalytic lens/destruction catalyst, ring of arcana, etc,) bugged exploitable items (RM furnace, alchemy chests, black hole band in alchemy bag, transmutation tablets, etc). Overall, its a fantastic mod, but really wasn't designed with SMP in mind. This would of been fine if not for the config being not very flexible to turn off/reduce/partially disable certain items and such. Currently on the server I'm admin on, we've been working with the owner to try and balance EE without removing it entirely. Often that seems the easier option. Players have a bit of a knack of getting around the more vanilla methods, ie, ban RM furnance, but instead they put it down with an auto-crafter and deployer. We've resorted to actually removing the patterns, so items aren't craftable under normal circumstances. This also allows us to use our economy to make these 'restricted' items purchasable, but in a strictly controlled manner.

agree EE is a nice thing but its more Single player then Multiplayer oriented. Now yes this can be solved by banning the distructive items witch we have try'd but did not work since the energy condenser just makes everything to easy ! i do agree on the alch bags those are freeking handy but i rather drop those and lose the condenser as well. Since these are a fuckover if you want to build a iconomy system. Ofc the point of EE is not a discution here! this post is about how Soulgriever and myself set up our server and share what we have learnd with you.

And our oppinion is NOT to use EE but that is not stopping anyone to not use it. This is just have we run our server and any can do his own liking.

@expozay

He isn't saying that at all. You can remove the mod from your server files and it will remove the mod completely. Not even people with OP can craft/give items from that mod because the mod files aren't even there.

indeed i did

I never though of server owners in the deluxe section to be competing, I thought of them as mutually successful servers. I was under the impression that the server op swap shop was the place to collectively give advises about running servers in general. The thing about the Deluxed Section is that there is a variety of different style of servers, aswell as different stories and experiences. I wouldn't give away my personal server information because when you create a server you try and put your unique creative mark on it, your personal twist and your own hard work. Thats what makes a deluxed server, the amount of work, time and creativity.

It's up to new Server owners to try and find their own paths, ideas and creative game mechanics.

As far as your guide sure you can put what ever you'd like but it wouldn't be the same as your servers because you guys make the server not your plugins/banned mods.

I run NationsMC and i am grateful players enjoy the server even if it wasn't deluxed.

Hey guys, I run XtreamCraft Tekkit, and I personally have found that from a griefing perspective, EE is easily blocked. Have you heard of GriefPrevention? The players claim their own land, and the plugin doesn't allow ANY block changes, so if you used a Destruction Catalyst on the user's plot, it won't do anything. Even if you click outside the plot, it is like a invisible wall. You combine GriefPrevention, WorldGuard, and Hawkeye (Logblock, etc.), and EE is nerfed.

Here's the link to GriefPrevention: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/grief-prevention/

And

Me and soul will be working on the main post later today :).

Its easy to ban a complete mod by just taking the Zip file out of the "Mod" Folder

Banning items on there own is easly dont threw Permissions and a plugin i use. "Noitem"

Is there a way for me to contact you about that? I don't quite understand how to configure that.

Hey guys, I run XtreamCraft Tekkit, and I personally have found that from a griefing perspective, EE is easily blocked. Have you heard of GriefPrevention? The players claim their own land, and the plugin doesn't allow ANY block changes, so if you used a Destruction Catalyst on the user's plot, it won't do anything. Even if you click outside the plot, it is like a invisible wall. You combine GriefPrevention, WorldGuard, and Hawkeye (Logblock, etc.), and EE is nerfed.

Here's the link to GriefPrevention: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/grief-prevention/

And

Is there a way for me to contact you about that? I don't quite understand how to configure that.

I use a plugin "DisableCraft" which easily allows you to disable items by adding their IDs to their config. It's pretty easy to configure but I can help you out if you need. feel free to msg me.

i think you need to read the dam post a bit better first mate :) ! we are talking about server's not tekkit in a whole !

agree EE is a nice thing but its more Single player then Multiplayer oriented. Now yes this can be solved by banning the distructive items witch we have try'd but did not work since the energy condenser just makes everything to easy ! i do agree on the alch bags those are freeking handy but i rather drop those and lose the condenser as well. Since these are a fuckover if you want to build a iconomy system. Ofc the point of EE is not a discution here! this post is about how Soulgriever and myself set up our server and share what we have learnd with you.

And our oppinion is NOT to use EE but that is not stopping anyone to not use it. This is just have we run our server and any can do his own liking.

indeed i did

This isn't a matter of his server, merely defending the logic of saying having an option is better than being forced. I think you need to understand a damn opinion mate! : P

first off I never said for the guys at tekkit to remove it completely besides with all the kiddies used to using EE removing it would b suicide at this point. I simply said it is my preference to remove it. I didn't even say it was on my recommended mods to remove. Also I cant force anyone to do crap so you saying that Im trying to FORCE people to do anything is merely retarded, your taking my post out of tense and any further argument on EE will just continue to derail what this thread was created for congratulations moron If you want to argue about how you love EE there is plenty of other posts out there on forums.

also guys if I see something Im srry I havent been able to post to much in this as my laptop died I should be posting alot more later

Now as what this thread was made for more recommendations

THE PLUGINS

I prefer using residence. and greed prefers using towny. now there are plenty of other protection plugins out there but it seems these two are the most common. Ill leave Towny and LWC for greed. Ill just talk about residence in this posting.

Residence allows players to select and buy (if you have an economy on your server) an area of land that they in sense own. they can control who else has permission on their land and what permission they have. A player who owns a section of land can assign what flags a player has. these flags include some more popular flags such as build, move, damage, pvp, use, healing, tp. basicly theres a bunch of them and if it doesnt have a flag you need odds are there is a custom flag out there as it has built in support for defining custom flags.

more to come

Hidden

first off I never said for the guys at tekkit to remove it completely besides with all the kiddies used to using EE removing it would b suicide at this point. I simply said it is my preference to remove it. I didn't even say it was on my recommended mods to remove. Also I cant force anyone to do crap so you saying that Im trying to FORCE people to do anything is merely retarded, your taking my post out of tense and any further argument on EE will just continue to derail what this thread was created for congratulations moron If you want to argue about how you love EE there is plenty of other posts out there on forums.

also guys if I see something Im srry I havent been able to post to much in this as my laptop died I should be posting alot more later

I never said anything that should aggravate one that isn't a fool, simply staying by the point that EE should be supported by technic rather then being completely removed.. And as I've stated a fair amount of times, an option is better than being forced. Nor did I say you were trying to force people, what I meant was by the developers removing it, it pretty much forces the rest not to be able to use the mod in further updates. Even if it's not what your topic was about, I made a miss understanding.

So please, ladies, stop taking things to literal.. I only decided to stick to my point. There's no reason to take things down the road to an argument and battle of wits for who gets the last word. Let's keep this forum mature! I mean no harm : )

Hidden

I never said anything that should aggravate one that isn't a fool, simply staying by the point that EE should be supported by technic rather then being completely removed.. And as I've stated a fair amount of times, an option is better than being forced. Nor did I say you were trying to force people, what I meant was by the developers removing it, it pretty much forces the rest not to be able to use the mod in further updates. Even if it's not what your topic was about, I made a miss understanding.

So please, ladies, stop taking things to literal.. I only decided to stick to my point. There's no reason to take things down the road to an argument and battle of wits for who gets the last word. Let's keep this forum mature! I mean no harm : )

You were already told on reply #8 that suggested the developers to remove EE... if you read the thread title... "Soul and Greeds guid to tekkit servers.... Basically stating this is their guide and opinion on what to use for their particular type of server, nothing more.

Hidden

You were already told on reply #8 that suggested the developers to remove EE... if you read the thread title... "Soul and Greeds guid to tekkit servers.... Basically stating this is their guide and opinion on what to use for their particular type of server, nothing more.

Excuse me sir, please be quite. I don't want a 3rd man starting in on something that isn't of their concern.. when I just offered peace to settle things down after miss understandings took occurance.

Hidden

I would understand you response if I were being a douche bag but I wasn't. You had a misunderstanding, which I told you about. Sorry that you didn't like my response as I am sure you won't like this one even though I wasn't being a jerk.

Hidden

Glad to see we're both on the same page of no war intended, I'm rather tired and being bi-polar to peoples responses in this thread after what I've experienced in the past of how these "kiddos" trail on little arguments to a full out blow > : l

Hidden

Excuse me sir, please be quite. I don't want a 3rd man starting in on something that isn't of their concern.. when I just offered peace to settle things down after miss understandings took occurance.

dont be like that... He is freaking right. You have bin bashing from the start and not even properly reading up the stuf that is already in here! you take everything personal and like you HAVE to do it. But THIS IS A THREAD OF OUR OPINION !!! you can do what you like in your server but THIS THREAD is about what WE do and HOW we do it ! ! ! ! ! !