Teleport pipes

Cougar281

I discoverd teleport pipes last night and started experimenting with them.

With the Teleport pipes, is there a specific range, or will they work as long as the chunks at the sending pipe and receiving pipe are both loaded? Has anyone noticed connection issues? I noticed that my send pipes showed 0 pipes connected until I right-clicked the receive pipes, at which time the recieve pipe went from 0 pipes connected to 1. They're a great idea, but I'm not sure they're a viable option if they keep disconnecting.

The other questions are with the power teleport pipes. First, is there any way to throttle the power they suck? I have a MV solar array powering two MFEs, which could easily power my qurry all night, probably two, but now that I added a power teleport pipe to the energy link to power a second quarry for experimentation, the solar array can't keep up with the draw and the MFEs essentially sit at zero.

The second part, is there a range to the power teleport? I had read some posts about distance related losses, but then someone indicated that they thought they were now lossless. When I set up the power teleport pipe literally next to the test quarry, it links up and powers the quarry. When I tried the same setup at my home, they seem to link (show connected pipes 1), but power does not seem to flow. Is there any way to SEE if the power actually is flowing? If not, are there any other simpe devices I can play with to test and see if power is actually flowing?

In both cases my setup is:

Power source -MV Solar array -> 2 MFE's -> LV Transformer -> Energy Link -> Gold conductive pipe -> power transport pipe

Quarry- Power Transport Pipe -> Gold conductive pipe -> Quarry

So I've done some more playing and I'm even more confused.

I tested setting up the teleport pipes on my creative server. I set up a power teleport at my main test site that's powered by a bank of 4 MFSUs and a ton of HV Solar arrays, then I set up a test site abotu 1000m away. The pipes show 0 pipes connected..... but they ARE connected. As soon as I turned the power teleport pipe to 'Receive:True' *poof* up went the scaffolding and away it went. Items are funneling through the teleport pipe to the chest I set up in a steady stream... yet they show '0 pipes connected'.

On my friends server, my quarry site is about 120m away, all pipes show connected to the proper number, yet I can't 'beam' power from my home to the quarry, despite the power pipes showing connected, and the transport teleport pipes seem to work right. Setting up a power teleport pipe 5 blocks away works perfectly, aside from sucking 2 MFE's dry almost instantly.

Other than my server being creative and his being survival, there are really no differneces that I'm aware of. Any ideas why it works on my server but not his?

Edit: What I found works on my server is:

Power side: Energy Link -> Wood Conductive -> Gold Conductive -> Power teleport

Quarry Side: Power Teleport -> Wood Conductive -> Gold Conductive -> Quarry

Duplicating it exactly does not work 120 blocks away.

Edit 2: WOW... I'm a retard. Helps to hook the Energy Link up to the OUTPUT of the BattBox :rolleyes:. That addresses the problem powering the quarry from 'home', any thought's on curbing power consumption?

A qarry needs 9 MJ/t for fullspeed, which means 24 EU/t. Use a batbox as a throttle (32 EU/t -> 12 MJ/t) to come close to that cap. It will eat just a little bit too much, but that should be "good enough", I hope.

Another thing: "Quarry Side: Power Teleport -> Wood Conductive -> Gold Conductive -> Quarry"

Why the wooden conductive next to the teleport? Use the golden one directly.

Thanks, that helps a lot. At the moment, I'm powering two quarries off the one Batbox & Power transport pipe, and while that may not allow 'full speed', it's still plenty fast (WAAAAY faster than when I powered my first one with a steam engine LOL), and with two MFE's and a BatBox between the energy link and the solar panels, the MFEs last quite a while, whereas when they were connected up to the Energy Link via a LV Transformer, the MFEs would get sucked dry in no time if they had a charge and the MV Solar array just couldn't charge them up while the power link was up.

I've stepped down to only running one quarry at a time. I had two 'large' quarries running and I ended up using all the server's RAM.... oops...

On the subject of the pipes though, I noticed on the sending pipe what *appeared* to be blocks bouncing back like there was no place for them to go, but there were blocks straming through the recieving end just fine. Am I correct to assume that if blocks *were* being bounced back for whatever reason, they would pop out at the quarry and I'd be able to pick them up, thus what I was seeing was just a 'visual glitch' as there were no blocks popping out?

I've stepped down to only running one quarry at a time. I had two 'large' quarries running and I ended up using all the server's RAM.... oops...

On the subject of the pipes though, I noticed on the sending pipe what *appeared* to be blocks bouncing back like there was no place for them to go, but there were blocks straming through the recieving end just fine. Am I correct to assume that if blocks *were* being bounced back for whatever reason, they would pop out at the quarry and I'd be able to pick them up, thus what I was seeing was just a 'visual glitch' as there were no blocks popping out?

You're almost correct. If it is not a visual bug, and your using buildcraft pipes, and it can't fit in an inventory, it's going to pop out of the pipe. You can in /theory/ pick these items up, but if you spill a quarryfull you'll cause such lag/framerate issues that you might not be able to get close.

Make sure you have plenty of storage, use RP tubes where possable, and have a way of dealing with overflow.

Also, you could probably fit several small quarrys in the small number of chunks. That shouldn't take much ram at all, so long as you don't leak.

The 'glitch' that I saw was at the quarry where there's one length of Stone pipe before the teleport pipe. Won't the item only pop out at the receive end if the recieving container is full, not bounce back through the TP pipe to the Quarry? If it was unable to send to anohter pipe, I would expect it to bounce back at the quarry side without sending across the TP Pipe. I filled up two silver chests with cobble long ago and set up an overflow path that takes all excess cobble and dirt (filled up dirt too) and pipes it straight to my Antimatter Relay. All other chests have plenty of room.