Technic Battles Redux

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea who did it. Was gone for hours prior to that, running around the world doing other stuff.

I don't think antigrief would help much either, unless it were super intensely done (probably not worth it compared to other solutions). There are too many ways to get around it in tekkit, unless you lock down the whole server something awful.

However, I do think it would be reasonable to add WorldEdit to the server, or something like that, for ROLLBACKS, if nothing else. For example, it allows you to just copy/paste an old backup of the world into a backup directory for worldedit, and then in-game you can select a region with the axe and roll back ONLY that region. (you ARE making backups aren't you? if not, get an auto backing up program too.). I think that would be sufficient, since nobody would lose anything except what was built since the last auto backup, and everybody visits their bases often enough to notice things.

And since it would require a WE action to rollback, an op could decide what counts as truly major destructive griefing (like nuking a base) and what is acceptable pranking-level stuff.

Also possibly worldguard or something, but I suggest that for logging purposes only, not as an attempt to actually protect things. To allow the person to be banned and thus prevent repeated needs for rolling back over and over.

I have no idea who did it. Was gone for hours prior to that, running around the world doing other stuff.

I don't think antigrief would help much either, unless it were super intensely done (probably not worth it compared to other solutions). There are too many ways to get around it in tekkit, unless you lock down the whole server something awful.

However, I do think it would be reasonable to add WorldEdit to the server, or something like that, for ROLLBACKS, if nothing else. For example, it allows you to just copy/paste an old backup of the world into a backup directory for worldedit, and then in-game you can select a region with the axe and roll back ONLY that region. (you ARE making backups aren't you? if not, get an auto backing up program too.). I think that would be sufficient, since nobody would lose anything except what was built since the last auto backup, and everybody visits their bases often enough to notice things.

And since it would require a WE action to rollback, an op could decide what counts as truly major destructive griefing (like nuking a base) and what is acceptable pranking-level stuff.

Also possibly worldguard or something, but I suggest that for logging purposes only, not as an attempt to actually protect things. To allow the person to be banned and thus prevent repeated needs for rolling back over and over.

I do have a auto-backup, but I'm not sure where it's backing up to. I'm not great at worldedit, so I'd need someone to help me with that.

superg, enabling http means you can download any text from pastebin.com, and load it as a computer script in game. That may or may not be something we want, but if it is, it's something we would want to decide upon in GENERAL, for ALL computers/programs. And personally, as much as I like the pastebin option, I would advise we not enable that, considering the recent spate of griefing we have had on the server. Being able to just download fully functional viruses would NOT help that...

The only other option is downloading individual programs, which you seem to be asking for, but doing so:

A) seems like a silly amount of work for andrew, especially for frivolous things like facebook clones, and

B) seems a bit imbalanced. If you can get programs you want, why can't other people, to make their lives easier?

superg, enabling http means you can download any text from pastebin.com, and load it as a computer script in game. That may or may not be something we want, but if it is, it's something we would want to decide upon in GENERAL, for ALL computers/programs. And personally, as much as I like the pastebin option, I would advise we not enable that, considering the recent spate of griefing we have had on the server. Being able to just download fully functional viruses would NOT help that...

The only other option is downloading individual programs, which you seem to be asking for, but doing so:

A) seems like a silly amount of work for andrew, especially for frivolous things like facebook clones, and

B) seems a bit imbalanced. If you can get programs you want, why can't other people, to make their lives easier?

Agreed. I'd rather not have a CC virus wrecking my server. Also, if you really want it, just type the script yourself.

i keep crashing whenever i use the frame motors on my airship.

any help? please?

Your client is unable to render certain things moving on airships. One thing that I know will cause a crash is having any pneumatic tubes, jacketer wires, alloy wires, etc. connected to a turtle on your airship. Anything that changes its graphic to "branch" over to another block, seems to cause your client to crash when it connects to a turtle.

I assume there are other things as well that can also cause rendering failures. So first, go and look for any turtles with wires or tubes attached. Then, if none of those, begin by systematically removing all the different types of blocks on your airship. Start with things that are NOT part of the redpower mod, since those are most likely to be something eloraam didn't support. Take off all of one kind of block or one kind of connection between blocks, and test, then replace and try the next thing, etc.

I do have a auto-backup, but I'm not sure where it's backing up to. I'm not great at worldedit, so I'd need someone to help me with that.

http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/WorldEdit/Snapshots

Basically, you just find your auto backups, and move them into the new directory that it says in that link. Backups/World/World1 or whatever. I'm sure you could make the auto backup program simply save in that directory to begin with.

Then in game, an op can take a wooden axe, and left click one corner of a rectangular cuboid, right click the opposite diagonal corner, and type //restore (name of the file for the backup desired) and it will change all the blocks between those two corners only to whatever they were as of that backup.

well yeah, world edit would probably fail at a lot of things in rolling back. But the main thing is mostly just getting your chests back and architectural stuff and your expensive machines I should think. Pipes are easy to reroute and wireless things are easy to type new frequencies into, etc.

Probably also a good idea to carry any programs that were difficult to code as a copy on a disk with you at all times, or in a personal safe somewhere.

I mean to some extent if somebody blows up your base with a nuke or something, you probably dont even really WANT to rebuild there anyway. You just want the stuff back so you can go hide it somewhere else.

well yeah, world edit would probably fail at a lot of things in rolling back. But the main thing is mostly just getting your chests back and architectural stuff and your expensive machines I should think. Pipes are easy to reroute and wireless things are easy to type new frequencies into, etc.

Probably also a good idea to carry any programs that were difficult to code as a copy on a disk with you at all times, or in a personal safe somewhere.

I mean to some extent if somebody blows up your base with a nuke or something, you probably dont even really WANT to rebuild there anyway. You just want the stuff back so you can go hide it somewhere else.

True point.