The tiny incredible journey of stuff and things (and modmaking)

jakj

(This thread has migrated from its original purpose, so skip to the end. :P)

I will send a payment of $20 via PayPal to the person who either explains to me or provides to me source code showing how to do the following as an IC2 API addon:

(I have programming experience but not in Java, so techspeak is fine.)

Add an extractor, macerator, and compressor recipe.

Add a furnace recipe.

Add a shaped and shapeless crafting recipe to IC2's list.

Add a basic item with no gui (like coal dust, just has a sprite and usable in recipes). I can edit sprites fine if you tell me the size, codec, or file format to use.

Addon would be open source with no monetization or ads.

Price is negotiable if I have underestimated the complexity of my request.

Re: $20 to help me make a tiny IC2 addon

That title's misleading. People may think you want people to pay you, not the other way around, just looking at it. Also, while I'm sure money is great, there are kind(ish) folk around here who would probably help you out in that respect for free. There are free tutorials all over that would show you how to add a furnace recipe, a crafting table recipe, and an item for sure, though adding things to IC2 machines would probably take some guesswork going from what you could learn in those.

Re: I will pay you $20 to help me make a tiny IC2 addon

The wording is a bit off but I think you mean, make addons LIKE a macerator?

Have you considered decompiling IC2?

What? No, don't overthink it. Adding a macerator recipe. Example: 1 coal -> 1 coal dust is a macerator recipe. 1 iron ore -> 2 iron dust is a macerator recipe.

The addon I want to make is a sort of transmutation for IC2. I love EE, but having it on is basically being in creative mode, so I want to limit its use while still being able to manufacture items without a condenser. Right now, you can go cobble -(macerate)-> sand -(furnace)-> glass, and gravel -(macerate)->flint, but you can't go from cobble to flint. I want to be able to set up automatic systems to generate any item in the game (such as a redpower setup making cobble from lava and water, a forestry farm generating charcoal) and make all other items in the game (maybe macerating flint into powdered flint, adding it to sand to make rough sand, then compressing it to make gravel).

I will send a payment of $20 via PayPal to the person who either explains to me or provides to me source code showing how to do the following as an IC2 API addon:

(I have programming experience but not in Java, so techspeak is fine.)

Add an extractor, macerator, and compressor recipe.

Add a furnace recipe.

Add a shaped and shapeless crafting recipe to IC2's list.

Add a basic item with no gui (like coal dust, just has a sprite and usable in recipes). I can edit sprites fine if you tell me the size, codec, or file format to use.

Addon would be open source with no monetization or ads.

Price is negotiable if I have underestimated the complexity of my request.

Sure, I'll bite. Here's how in 3 easy steps.

Step 1 set up dev environment - get Minecraft Coder Pack & install it. Make sure it's 100% working & you can recompile the Minecraft client. http://mcp.ocean-labs.de/index.php/Main_Page

Step 2 read & do the tutorials on the MCP site. Particularly the custom item w/ texture, which will tell you how to make your coal-dust-alike.

Step 3 get the IC2 API from the IC2 forums and add it to your MCP setup. There is also a link to the doxygen API reference there. http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4702 and http://ic2api.player.to/ic2api/html/annotated.html for API reference.

In particular the net.minecraft.src.ic2.api.Ic2Recipes contain methods for all of your other needs.

If you're a programmer, this should be enough to get you where you want.

Send money to MCP or Alblaka.

I support this. EE is way too OP for SSP but it has some useful stuff like Swiftwolf's Rending Gale and the Destruction catalyst. They're my favorite cuz they don't take up armor slots.

I support this. EE is way too OP for SSP but it has some useful stuff like Swiftwolf's Rending Gale and the Destruction catalyst. They're my favorite cuz they don't take up armor slots.

Yes, EE is indeed fun. I love Mercurial Eye.

So, I've been making some progress, and this small idea has grown into the world's first Technic Pack fanmod. I've got MCP all set up, and I've figured out how to read ML and Forge config files to get IDs so I can add recipes.

I'm beginning to implement replacement items for EE tools. E.g. craft phil stone into engineer stone or whatever I end up calling it. Will swap 1 emc blocks instead of transmuting, giving a reason to actually craft them.

Another balance idea is you can use items to make EE items but not the other way. E.g. ee makes 8 iron to 1 gold 4 gold to 1 diamond. I could instead have 8 iron make 1 infused iron essence and 4 essence into 1 mystic core or whatever. Use that core in ee only crafting as a diamond hey presto.

So despite my earlier words, now I do need to learn gui handling, but I'm hopeful. We shall see. So far, so good.

Looking forward to this, for sure. It would be pretty cool to have a modding community around Technic itself, not just having it use other mods. I wish you good luck. I, myself, will make a tiny mod for Technic too, to change splash screens too Technic related ones.

@Cheap Shot:

I wanna make a tread for my "mod". Is this O.K., and can I place it in the Café Lame or do I need to place it elsewhere?

EDIT: Posting it. Just tell me if that's not ok or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

any updates?

I stumbled upon this post and I find the idea very interesting

Oh, boy, has this ever grown past my initial simple idea. :D

Yep, just taking my time with it and enjoying the process of learning. It's kind of a slow ramp-up because I'm just learning a language and an api all at once, not to mention most knowledge comes from either 1) crappy YouTube videos or 2) walking the Minecraft decompiled source code.

So far, though, I've worked past the need to read configuration files, and I'm using the Java reflection API to directly access member fields and methods from loaded classes from other mods. (For example, I can access the function in EE that gets the EMC value of an item, and I can access the GUI object inside CleverCraft to open the Crafting Table II screen.) I even figured out how to add a hook into the source that Forge doesn't have.

My coding style also focuses on "write it once and never again", so I spend a lot of time creating new modular classes instead of just copying and pasting code. For example, I'm creating static helper classes that do things like read and write itemstack arrays via NBT, and I created a helper class that implements GUI elements like progress bars so, instead of using a bunch of draw calls with ugly embedded math, all I do is create a progress-bar object and tell it its current progress.

(I obviously have not seen every mod currently in existence, but I have now seen (via decompilation) most of the big ones and a lot of the little ones, and I am hoping (with crossed fingers ;-)) that some of the code I'm writing will be interesting to people and may even be used by others. The way I'm doing things is already a lot more newbie-friendly, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people were able to learn modding by getting into my code (because I tend to use excessive redundance and descriptive member names in the cause of readability, modularity, and reusability) and seeing what's going on.)

It shall come when it comes. :-) Writing a mod for Minecraft is actually a lot like playing Minecraft itself: You go around and gather a bunch of stuff, then you mess around and see how you can put it together into something interesting, rearranging things until they look just right, and then going out and getting more stuff to make an even more interesting contraption.

• 2 weeks later...

What about it?

Sure, I'll bite. Here's how in 3 easy steps.

<<snip>>

Send money to MCP or Alblaka.

Yes, exactly, which is why I'm asking if you sent them the $20 as I requested in exchange for providing the information you requested.

The details of financial transactions are the business of the parties directly involved.