Making Technic Pack run faster

nahum45

Question

9 answers to this question

allocating more memory will generally not help you a whole lot. the default 1gb should be fine, unless you have 2gb or less of ram. if you have 2gb or less, change it to 512.

the memory thing simply tells the java virtual machine how much room it has to work with before it has to clean house and get rid of data that's no longer in use. minecraft has never needed anywhere near 1gb of memory to run, but giving it that much means java needs to clean up less often. the reason cleaning up less often is usually seen as good is that java tends to grind to a halt while it's cleaning house in the background for a second or so. the less often it does this, the better in most cases.

the reason you want to lower that memory limit on a low ram machine is so that the memory allocated by java doesn't end up in virtual memory, or swap space. if this happens your performance will tank and you may even crash sometimes.

tmyk.gif

Honestly, while that advice about keeping the memory allocation low is both correct and accurate, it is not universal. My machine has quite a fast processor and rather speedy RAM, and I have the worst offenders (IC2 sounds and Millenaire) disabled. But let me point out that IC2 sounds never actually lagged me, and I have mine set at 4G (8G in the machine), and no matter how long I run it, I don't have issues when it dumps memory, and I can watch it dump memory with the F3 menu. I get no spikes when it does it.

Call me lucky, but on some limited number of particular setups, allocating a large amount of RAM actually helps. It's just that in most cases it hurts.

Call me lucky

sir, you indeed are so bloody lucky

relatively speaking you don't even begin to realize how lucky you are =P

relatively to me that is xP

ontopic

allocating more ram wont increase how fast technic or minecraft work, it may only make it either smoother or the contrary

^ - translating all the wise words said by the people here -

so if you want it to be faster, check the optifine ( video ) settings and so on...

@Jgm

to disable millenaire

open the technic launcher

select technic in the upper left corner

click on mods bottom part of the window, it will open a text file

search for mileanaire and change it from on to off

to disable Ic2 sounds

go to %appdata%\.techniclauncher\technicssp\config

edit IC2.cfg, find "soundsEnabled=true"

change it to "soundsEnabled=false"

This might be a hassle, considering most of you are commonly affiliated/more familiar with Windows OS... But I'm Running OS X Mountain Lion with a 64-Bit Java Installation, and need help opening the IC2.cfg file. In order to change "soundsEnabled=true" to "soundsEnabled=false"

Any feedback appreciated(:

Thanks!(: