MFE losing more than it gets, Any tips?

Filipe

Hello guys,

I have a doubt:

I have 23 Solar panels ( http://imageshack.us/f/856/java2012092515371649.jpg/ )

and two MFE with a LV-Transformer each. ( http://imageshack.us/f/546/java2012092515372203.jpg/ )

They feed my machines and a Energy Link at my Quarry. ( http://imageshack.us/f/40/java2012092515364628.jpg/ )

But, even with 23 solar panels the MFE loses more energy than it gets from the solar panels.

After several minutes I run out of energy and I have to turn on those Steam Engines while the MFEs recharge.

How I can I get more energy than I lose? So I can keep this system working non-stop.

Thank you very much !

-- I love tekkit --

Hey pal. Unfortunately, the only solution, which you probably won't like, is to build more power. There are a few issues that you face.

One is that the quarry and machines will run all day and night, while the solar panels will only draw power during the day, so if your solar panels can't get ahead of the machinery during the day, they definitely won't have any power leftover at night.

Another big issue is the quarry is a massive power hog. Like...MASSIVE. Converting IC power to BC power for the quarry, it still takes a pretty big energy commitment.

So yea...the solution is to just build up the power network a bit bigger. If you're feeling adventurous, try incorporating some water mills into the setup. They generate a really small amount of power, but it's consistent across all times of day.

Edit: Unless there's another idea that some other fine Tekkiter might have.

I was wondering, for while I can't afford more Solar Panels ( low resources ) then I could add two Timers.

They could work like 10-10 minutes (or a night time).

One Timer for the Steam engines and another for the Energy Link.

This, maybe, would be enough for while. What do you think?

So yea...the solution is to just build up the power network a bit bigger. If you're feeling adventurous, try incorporating some water mills into the setup. They generate a really small amount of power, but it's consistent across all times of day.

I wouldn't say a small amount of power. They generate the same amount as a solar panel, so since they run all day long the produce twice as much as a single solar panel.

As for the quarry, I believe it will eat however much power you give it, but only work up to a certain limit (one block per second if I remember correctly). They also have an internal buffer. What you should do is attach the MFE to the quarry via energy link, wait a moment, then detach it and let the quarry run. Time how long it takes for the quarry to stop. Now set up a timing system to signal an EU-Splitter for howver long the quarry runs, then allow the quarry to charge back up for a bit, and repeat.

I wouldn't say a small amount of power. They generate the same amount as a solar panel, so since they run all day long the produce twice as much as a single solar panel.

Ah yea, I'd forgotten about the water bucket addition version. I was just thinking of the unmanned setup with water blocks all around it. I think the cap on that method was 1/4 the output of a solar panel. Getting the rig setup to run buckets of water to get that full power is definitely Tekkity to the max :D

I manage to make the the MFEs feed more then need, It took my 33 solar panels, But still a small amout of recharge rate and I am screwed at night time.

If Watter Mills really generate the same as Solar, I will look for it, there is a huge "lake" where my Quarry is working, I can place it there.

Or...

Do what this guy did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkuqn6rsMyY

And start working with Geothermal energy aswell.

You need to mash those down into LV solar arrays.

Water mills DO NOT generate the same amount as solar panels. Solar panels generate 1 EU/t, a LV solar array 8 EU/t. But a water mill generates 0.01 EU/t unmanned per adjacent water block. In a maximum configuration it can only produce 0.25 EU/t. Manned it will produce 2 EU/t.

To power a quarry fully you're either going to have to get some generators going or get some more solar arrays and get TWO MV solar arrays, which you're not quite not close enough have, yet. You could use a miner instead, which is really what you should be doing rather than trying to use a quarry.

Or you can be satisfied with how slow it is.

I have less than 50 hours of Tekkit...

I only know things like, Energy condenser, solar panels, batbox, pipes, quarry...

I am learning new things every minute.

Thx for the help, I will try to take lava from the nether and usa geothermal energy, sounds the best thing to do at the day.

get MV solar arrays, and like it or not, feed them into a single MFE with only one quarry running.If you'd like, you can alternate which quarry runs; I would run one for a day, then switch ;) You just have two MFEs with that many solar panels ): Once you find a large lava source, you can also have a geothermal generator ;)

get MV solar arrays, and like it or not, feed them into a single MFE with only one quarry running.If you'd like, you can alternate which quarry runs; I would run one for a day, then switch ;) You just have two MFEs with that many solar panels ): Once you find a large lava source, you can also have a geothermal generator ;)

You realise that, if he needs to have a quarry running, he probly doesn't have that many resources. Saying "Just get a few MV solars" is the same as saying "No problem bro, just get a few hundred solar panels and run them into an MFE... good luck!"

I don't know why people power a quarry from the same MFE as all their other stuff, its just asking to run out of power.

Run two cables off your solar panels:

1. to the MFE for your machines

2. to the Energy Link via optional 2nd MFE if you want to run it at night.

Your also loosing power in that overly long copper cable, if its longer than 4 blocks you need to make it shorter or replace with fibre cable.

I've done more complex setups involving redstone circuits and storing power in MFSUs so the massfab runs at night too.

Another thing is don't start the quarry on the surface. Sure it's convenient but it had to go through allot of overburden before it finds good stuff. In the same theme the first few should be small so they hit bottom faster. If your going to be using EE and the quarry hits lava (you put water in the quarry hole for this) you're in very good shape.

What is EE?

My Quarry is completely full of water, if it finds lava, it will be turned into copplestone

I can't do another quarry for while, this one I made is sooooooooo huge and I have not enough power to feed two.

I will take lava from the nether, I got everything ready (just need coupe waterproof pipes).

Tomorrow I might have Geotermal working properly.

What is EE?

My Quarry is completely full of water, if it finds lava, it will be turned into copplestone

I can't do another quarry for while, this one I made is sooooooooo huge and I have not enough power to feed two.

I will take lava from the nether, I got everything ready (just need coupe waterproof pipes).

Tomorrow I might have Geotermal working properly.

EE stands for the Equivalent Exchange mod. He was noting that obsidian has a decent magical value.

To get some Numbers in here.

Each solarpanel produces 1 Eu/tick, so you got 33Eu/tick income at daytime.

The EnergyLink got a error with it's energy usage.

It takes ALWAYS all the energy it can get up to 72Eu/tick.

Even on LV (which would be 32Eu/tick) it takes more. Dunno how but thats how it is.

So as long you dont have more then 72Eu/tick income there are not many ways to limit the energy usage of an Energylink.

1 possible way would be to split you power income. One half of the power directly to the energy link, the second line into any Energy storage. Either set the Redstone behavor of the Energy storage to Emit if Redstone input and hook it up to a negated signal of a Light sensor. Or get a EU/Splitter cable and hook that up to a Light sensor.

So the first half of your Energy income will power the Energy link at daytime and the second half will be used at night.

Best regards

Jojo

www.endetgaming.net

Quarry power usage: up to 9 MJ/t

Solar panel power generation: 1 EU/t

EU to MJ conversion: 5 EU == 2 MJ, but the Energy Link is bugged and only delivers roughly 90% of its MJ output.

Therefore: 33 EU / 5 * 2 * 0.9 = 11.88 MJ.

Or the other way around: 9 MJ / 2 * 5 / 0.9 = 25 EU

You will need roughly 25 solar panels to power your Quarry at full speed during daytime. The reason why you need more than 25 to see a difference in your MFE is probably due to one or more of the following three reasons:

1) maybe something else is drawing power;

2) maybe you have distance-based loss in some cables and/or conductive pipes; and

3) some energy will "disappear" into the Quarry's internal storage, since it will only run at full speed if that storage is full. It's not gone though, you get that energy back when the solar panels shut off at night and the Quarry feeds on those reserves for a few moments longer.

If you play singleplayer Tekkit (or have the means to get the server you play on modified) then there are other mods that add alternatives to the Energy Link that drain less EU/t, and also fix the bugged power conversion. For example, a Regular Electric Engine from the Transformers mod never consumes more than 12.5 EU/t, and outputs 5 MJ/t, allowing you to run your Quarry at a bit over half speed while imposing a hard limit on how much juice it can "steal". I added that to my own server because it is so convenient.

You realise that, if he needs to have a quarry running, he probly doesn't have that many resources. Saying "Just get a few MV solars" is the same as saying "No problem bro, just get a few hundred solar panels and run them into an MFE... good luck!"

You realize that he already has a bunch of solar panels, right? It's not that hard to get the materials to make LVs if you already have the solar panels >_>

People are making the numbers WAY too complicated on this thread... It's very simple:

Energy link: always uses 72 EU/tick, even if it isn't hooked up to anything.

Solar panels only work during the day.

Thus, in order to not have the energy link use all your power (quarry or not), you need 72*2 = 144 solar panels (or equivalent number of compact arrays), and a battery capable of holding half the power they make in a day. This will cause you to break even.

If you want to build up any energy storage for other uses, you will need additional power beyond those 144 panels.

Obviously you could also shut off power to the energy link some of the time, but that will make your quarry stop running, so that's not really much of a solution.