[WIP] MageCraft (Version 0.1.0 Source Code available)

GreenWolf13

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daedalus was also a character in a doctor who book http://www.drwhoguide.com/whobbc27.htm 8-)

Doesn't matter anymore, as I am removing the item that is a reference to Dr Who (the arcane crafter [it's bigger on the inside]) as I only needed it to craft the Wings of Daedalus and the other boss end game items. When I decided to turn them into spells, I removed the need of a 5x5 crafting grid. I may add the arcane crafter back with different functionality in the release though. Anybody have any ideas for it?

Doesn't matter anymore, as I am removing the item that is a reference to Dr Who (the arcane crafter [it's bigger on the inside]) as I only needed it to craft the Wings of Daedalus and the other boss end game items. When I decided to turn them into spells, I removed the need of a 5x5 crafting grid. I may add the arcane crafter back with different functionality in the release though. Anybody have any ideas for it?

i have an idea, it could be used as a regular crafting table(but bigger) but!,the but is very imprtant, you could "place" a spell in the crafting table to infuse an item with that spell, but it would use twice as much mana as regular crafting (yes, this does mean you could make wands when crafting stick)

i have an idea, it could be used as a regular crafting table(but bigger) but!,the but is very imprtant, you could "place" a spell in the crafting table to infuse an item with that spell, but it would use twice as much mana as regular crafting (yes, this does mean you could make wands when crafting stick)

This would be incredibly complex, as I would have to add a new crafting recipe for each item+spell combination. I could limit it to just sticks, but I feel as if being able to craft magic wands defeats the purpose of the quick spell page in the spell book.

Edit: I figured out how I could implement your idea. I could make it so that you use the Arcane Crafter to craft Spell-Orbs, which are a spell scroll in the center of the crafting grid surrounded by fully charged tier 5 mana crystals. The recipe would be:

xxx

xox

xxx

with x being the fully charged tier 5 mana crystals and the o being the spell scroll. This would create a Spell Orb, which could be attached to a stick to create a magic wand. Any spells cast this way would cost little to no mana, as it would draw mana from the mana crystals in the Spell-Orb, but you would need to recharge the wand every now and then. Alternatively, I could make it so that spells are cast from the Spell-Orb and omit the crafting a wand, but that's an aesthetic tweak.

Uh, I thought the ancient Greek from 700 BC based their myths on Dr. Who... Was I wrong?

Well it is difficult to say. Likely what happened was the Doctor used the TARDIS to go back in time and indoctrinated the ancient Greeks to base their gods off of the show.

Stop right there Viking Hacker! You shall not derail this thread!

Damit, you got me. It was Xylord who started it though :(.

On topic (Because I don't want to derail this): This sounds like a really well fleshed out and in depth mod! While I can't offer much in the way of coding, I would be happy to provide suggestions or Test when it is almost ready (in 2025)

But... But we wanted to talk about food. :(

No. This thread will not be derailed. You are welcome to discuss aspects of the mod (ideas, code, etc...) but you will not derail it.

Damit, you got me. It was Xylord who started it though:(.

On topic (Because I don't want to derail this): This sounds like a really well fleshed out and in depth mod! While I can't offer much in the way of coding, I would be happy to provide suggestions or Test when it is almost ready (in 2025)

Thanks. Most of the features I want to implement are actually pretty simple (in terms of coding) or have been done before. As for suggestions and help, I could use some ideas for ores/minerals, gems, plants, and familiars to add. The ores/minerals and plants are for making catalyst, and the gems are for mana crystals. Familiars are obviously going to be for summoning. Any suggestions on improving spells and making them more balanced are also welcome.

No. This thread will not be derailed. You are welcome to discuss aspects of the mod (ideas, code, etc...) but you will not derail it.

What about some sort of new food items? just kidding :D

Are you going to balance the mod to mesh well with others like EE or IC2?

Ahh, I was just jesting. :D

I was wondering though, how destructing do you plan this mod to be? For example, for the really high level spells, fire ones for example, could they be used to grief? If so, do you think you could code some "grief mode : false/true" thing in the config, for the usage in servers and such.

And also, like Jorcer, I would appreciate to be among the beta testers, if there's ever such a thing.

What about some sort of new food items? just kidding :D

Are you going to balance the mod to mesh well with others like EE or IC2?

I intend for this mod to mesh relatively well with the technic/tekkit mods, but I intend to make it so that it is very difficult to set up an automation system. The major flaw of Eauivalent Exchange when used with Buildcraft or Redpower is the fact that you can automate your production. I want it to be that you can't just set up a world anchor and go do something else. I'm also going to be limiting the items that you can turn into essence. Cobblestone was the first thing on the list of items that can not be turned into essence. The mod will be a Forge mod, so it should be compatible with other mods, and I intend for you to be able to use copper, tin, brass, bronze, etc... for turning into essence.

Ahh, I was just jesting. :D

I was wondering though, how destructing do you plan this mod to be? For example, for the really high level spells, fire ones for example, could they be used to grief? If so, do you think you could code some "grief mode : false/true" thing in the config, for the usage in servers and such.

And also, like Jorcer, I would appreciate to be among the beta testers, if there's ever such a thing.

Griefing shouldn't be a major problem, except for maybe the fireballs (as they could start a fire, but firespread can be disabled with most plugins). Some of the familiars will probably have some pretty destructive powers, but it should be easy to disable block destruction by familiars and spells. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, as it is not something I would have thought of on my own. I will definitely add a config option to turn off block destruction by spells and familiars.

I intend for this mod to mesh relatively well with the technic/tekkit mods, but I intend to make it so that it is very difficult to set up an automation system. The major flaw of Eauivalent Exchange when used with Buildcraft or Redpower is the fact that you can automate your production. I want it to be that you can't just set up a world anchor and go do something else. I'm also going to be limiting the items that you can turn into essence. Cobblestone was the first thing on the list of items that can not be turned into essence. The mod will be a Forge mod, so it should be compatible with other mods, and I intend for you to be able to use copper, tin, brass, bronze, etc... for turning into essence.

Griefing shouldn't be a major problem, except for maybe the fireballs (as they could start a fire, but firespread can be disabled with most plugins). Some of the familiars will probably have some pretty destructive powers, but it should be easy to disable block destruction by familiars and spells. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, as it is not something I would have thought of on my own. I will definitely add a config option to turn off block destruction by spells and familiars.

With regards to balance, what I wanted to ask was how it would interact with the other mods. One of the great things about Techinc is that most of the mods can be used together to make them better than they might be apart. IC2 is much less fun without redpower, EE is less OP without Redpower and IC2, etc.

With regards to balance, what I wanted to ask was how it would interact with the other mods. One of the great things about Techinc is that most of the mods can be used together to make them better than they might be apart. IC2 is much less fun without redpower, EE is less OP without Redpower and IC2, etc.

It should work well. If EE3 is ore balanced, I might include more EE integration, but I currently plan to stay away from EE integration. So items from my mod won't have an EMC value, and items from EE won't have an "essence" value. Eloraam does a similar thing with some of her mod's items. I plan to integrate IC2 compatibility (ores added by my mod can be macerated), and some RP2 compatibility. I don't intend to let pipes or tubes work with the machines/crafting devices added by my mod, as I want it to be more of a "hands on" mod instead of an automation mod. I will be using Forge, so the Forge Ore dictionary will be included. So gems added by other mods (RP2, Xycraft) can be used as mana crystals. Eventually there will be an API to allow closer integration between my mod and other forge mods.

It should work well. If EE3 is ore balanced, I might include more EE integration, but I currently plan to stay away from EE integration. So items from my mod won't have an EMC value, and items from EE won't have an "essence" value. Eloraam does a similar thing with some of her mod's items. I plan to integrate IC2 compatibility (ores added by my mod can be macerated), and some RP2 compatibility. I don't intend to let pipes or tubes work with the machines/crafting devices added by my mod, as I want it to be more of a "hands on" mod instead of an automation mod. I will be using Forge, so the Forge Ore dictionary will be included. So gems added by other mods (RP2, Xycraft) can be used as mana crystals. Eventually there will be an API to allow closer integration between my mod and other forge mods.

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this! Just don't get discouraged if/when you post it on MCF and everyone starts whining about Technic and/or release dates...

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this! Just don't get discouraged if/when you post it on MCF and everyone starts whining about Technic and/or release dates...

I can deal with the MC Forums. I've also got a new item list with spells and Familiars almost done. I just have to finish up with the Familiars, then I will upload it. I've added some more Alchemy stuff. I've also decided to add Greek Fire as a throwable weapon and light source.

Edit: you keep saying that, just tested, its under the character limit

Really? Huh, I would have figured it would be over the character limit. Still, using dropbox is a bit more effective, as it makes it easier to edit the list on the go, and it keeps the Original Post neat/

Really? Huh, I would have figured it would be over the character limit. Still, using dropbox is a bit more effective, as it makes it easier to edit the list on the go, and it keeps the Original Post neat/

No Pics No Clicks!!! :hurr:

You might want to include a link to Pastebin if people don't want to download the file. Just saying.

I was joking about the Pics, Of course there aren't any :)

Yeah, I figured. I also changed the download link to a paste bin link. What I really need is textures for blocks, otherwise I'll just be using a filler texture from vanilla. A compatibility feature will be the ability to macerate saltpeter crystals and sulfur crystals, along with apatite, to get Nitrate of Potash and phosphate respectively. Of course, the mortar and pestle is much cheaper, since it's just a wooden bowl and a stick. If you have any questions about what any of the ores, minerals, items, spells, familiars, or anything else does, don't hesitate to ask.