[WIP] MageCraft (Version 0.1.0 Source Code available)

GreenWolf13

Apatite, Saltpeter and Sulfur are indeed going to be very common. the other ores I add are mosly gems, and using the forge ore dictionary, I can make it so that you can use them for other mods. There is also the possiblity of allowing the ability to use them to make tools. The only thing in the mod that really wouldn't have a use in other mods is lead, as it's sole purpose is to be turned into essence using alchemy. I migt make some other mods that use ores from this mod, and release them as modules. Then I would just put world generation into a core module, and make MageCraft and the others into indivdual modules.

This is starting to sound like an overhaul mod. Nothing inherently good/bad about that. Just an observation. Is that what you think it will turn out to be?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is starting to sound like an overhaul mod. Nothing inherently good/bad about that. Just an observation. Is that what you think it will turn out to be?

Maybe. Alot if mods these days use modules, and I'm leaning in that direction right now. Plus, if I do it in modules, I can release updates faster, as I don't have to update the whole mod at once.

Maybe. Alot if mods these days use modules, and I'm leaning in that direction right now. Plus, if I do it in modules, I can release updates faster, as I don't have to update the whole mod at once.

I totally forgot about modules (the keller is impacting me). If you separated it into modules you would avoid lots of compatibility issues as well. (If someone didn't want to use certain parts of your mod because it conflicts they can just not use that module)

I totally forgot about modules (the keller is impacting me). If you separated it into modules you would avoid lots of compatibility issues as well. (If someone didn't want to use certain parts of your mod because it conflicts they can just not use that module)

Exactly. Core would be the only thing required for everything, as it would be responsible for world generation. Then MageCraft would be another module (possibly broken down into sub-modules) with Systematic Agriculture (another mod I am working on, the name is subject to change) and any other mod I make be different modules.

Exactly. Core would be the only thing required for everything, as it would be responsible for world generation. Then MageCraft would be another module (possibly broken down into sub-modules) with Systematic Agriculture (another mod I am working on, the name is subject to change) and any other mod I make be different modules.

Are you planning on integrating all of your mods together even if they seem pretty different (like the magecraft one and the farming one)

Are you planning on integrating all of your mods together even if they seem pretty different (like the magecraft one and the farming one)

They will definitely have some shared features. The farming one will provably be the one that relies on core the least, as the only ore I'd include from it is apatite for fertilizer, and even that is iffy. But there will definitely be certain aspects if each mod that can't be used wirhout the other. A farming spell in MageCraft might be more effective when used with Systematic Agriculture.

They will definitely have some shared features. The farming one will provably be the one that relies on core the least, as the only ore I'd include from it is apatite for fertilizer, and even that is iffy. But there will definitely be certain aspects if each mod that can't be used wirhout the other. A farming spell in MageCraft might be more effective when used with Systematic Agriculture.

May I suggest you somehow reference Senguir (as butteveer of dumbtale) in your farming mod?

May I suggest you somehow reference Senguir (as butteveer of dumbtale) in your farming mod?

No. While I may not agree with his actions, Sengir is still a good coder, and I respect him for that. He may have personality issues, but he is not stupid (when it comes to coding). We will never get anywhere if we persist in insulting him. The first step towards forgiveness is tolerance. If we want him (and other modders like him) to wake up and realize that technic isn't an evil blight to the modding community, we need to take the first step.

No. While I may not agree with his actions, Sengir is still a good coder, and I respect him for that. He may have personality issues, but he is not stupid (when it comes to coding). We will never get anywhere if we persist in insulting him. The first step towards forgiveness is tolerance. If we want him (and other modders like him) to wake up and realize that technic isn't an evil blight to the modding community, we need to take the first step.

oh, so we're a good blight on the minecraft community?

oh, so we're a good blight on the minecraft community?

More like this layer of benign bacteria over a gaping wound that is the modding community, in hopes that not too many nasty things would establish there. (The analogy works for the most part--FlowerC is the flesh-eating bacteria, so that's gonna need some serious antibiotics.)

Hahaha! I like the icons, but I wish they were something specific to the mod and not just an icon...

Well, they do have special secret powers. The Valkon Icon allows you to [Redacted] [Redacted]. Did you see my reference to the admins? I'll give you a hint: It's the [Redacted] of [Redacted] [Redacted] [Redacted].

I see you expanded on the initial idea of the Windjammer familiar. Too bad you had to remove the ability to /Thor stuff for free from it.

Yeah, I figured that having free lightning for 10 minutes was too OP. It does decrease mana requirements to cast air spells though. Even Thor's Hammer can't call down lightning for free, even though it is an artifact that can only be found in dungeons or as an incredibly rare drop from mobs. I've learned from Pahimar's example that free stuff is almost always a bad idea.

I can deal with the MC Forums. I've also got a new item list with spells and Familiars almost done. I just have to finish up with the Familiars, then I will upload it. I've added some more Alchemy stuff. I've also decided to add Greek Fire as a throwable weapon and light source.

Huzzah. Now I just need to reskin them to Molotov's...

Someone mentioned ruby slippers on my Tekkit server, so that might be something to mess around with down the road. A wearable /home spell/artifact?

Hmmm. That does sound interesting. I'll look at the MC source to see if it's possible without overwriting base classes.should be doable though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm fully behind this Greenwolf, cant be worse than Thaumcraft. I'm not saying that THaum is not a good mod, I like ANYTHING that lets me take dirt and make it into something worth while. It's just so god damn expensive.

This...it just seems like it'll be something fun to play.

From the sounds of it, this mod will be harder to use (with regards to making items) than Thaum or EE. It also sounds like the really high value and really low value items won't be able to be created.

EDIT: The forums (http://magecraft.boards.net/index.cgi) usually have the most updated info about the mod and the development of the mod. Green also posted a list of features he is thinking of adding over there so check it out!