[WIP] MageCraft (Version 0.1.0 Source Code available)

GreenWolf13

Yeah, I figured. I also changed the download link to a paste bin link. What I really need is textures for blocks, otherwise I'll just be using a filler texture from vanilla. A compatibility feature will be the ability to macerate saltpeter crystals and sulfur crystals, along with apatite, to get Nitrate of Potash and phosphate respectively. Of course, the mortar and pestle is much cheaper, since it's just a wooden bowl and a stick. If you have any questions about what any of the ores, minerals, items, spells, familiars, or anything else does, don't hesitate to ask.

So do you want me to try to make some textures for the ores and stuff?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do you want me to try to make some textures for the ores and stuff?

That would be nice. I can't draw to save my life, so if I tried to make any textures, they would end up looking pretty bad. I could probably do the ores, and the lead ingot would be a simple recoloring, and quite a few items would be recoloring, but there are several that would just look terrible if I did them.

That would be nice. I can't draw to save my life, so if I tried to make any textures, they would end up looking pretty bad. I could probably do the ores, and the lead ingot would be a simple recoloring, and quite a few items would be recoloring, but there are several that would just look terrible if I did them.

I will give it a shot (no promises because I'm no artist myself). It will give me something to work on though.

I will give it a shot (no promises because I'm no artist myself). It will give me something to work on though.

Thanks. Here's a list of items that aren't simply recoloring a vanilla texture [Don't feel like you are obligated to do these. This is just a list of things that need to be textured.]:

Spell Scrolls

Alchemist Worktable

Saltpeter Crystal

Sulfur Crystal

Mortar and Pestle

Stele

Brimstone

Alchemical Decoder

Runestone

Philosopher's Stone

Mana Infuser

Arcane Researcher

Blank Runestone

Mana Enchanter

Arcane Enchanter

This is a list of items that are similar to vanilla textures, but have differences other than recoloring:

Spellbook

Alchemist Notebook

Alchemical Tome

Summoner's Codex

Artifacts are also something that need to be textured, but I haven't decided what all the artifacts will be yet.

Thanks. Here's a list of items that aren't simply recoloring a vanilla texture [Don't feel like you are obligated to do these. This is just a list of things that need to be textured.]:

Saltpeter Crystal

Sulfur Crystal

Stele

Alchemical Decoder

Runestone

Mana Infuser

Arcane Researcher

Mana Enchanter

Arcane Enchanter

Can you give me some more info about these items (color, ideas for looks) These are the main ones but for the others, if you think of any specifics it would be good to know. You could PM me if you don't want to clutter the thread.

Just a quick point out that Metallurgy has Utility Ores that include sulfur and saltpeter, as well as a gunpowder recipe. Considering that I pretty much include this in my vanilla setup, it's worth looking at as a shortcut, as it also includes a nice range of Fantasy Metals as well.

Can you give me some more info about these items (color, ideas for looks) These are the main ones but for the others, if you think of any specifics it would be good to know. You could PM me if you don't want to clutter the thread.

I'll tell you right here, as it will help anybody else who wants to make textures.

Saltpeter Crystal: A white crystal.

Sulfur Crystal: A yellow crystal.

Stele: A dark grey or black knife. think of the texture for the iron knife or the athame in tekkit, and then make it dark grey or black.

Alchemical Decoder: It looks a bit like a magnifying glass, but with runes inscribed around the edge, and with green tinted glass.

Runestone: A grey stone with runes on it.

Mana Infuser: Brownish colored, with purple stars at the corners, and a yellow spiral design on top.

Arcane Researcher: Reddish colored, with symbols for each of the elements (fire, water, earth, air) at the corners, and a rune on top.

Mana Enchanter: Like a regular enchanting table, but brownish (same color as the Mana Infuser) and with purple stars at the corners.

Arcane Enchanter: Like a regular enchantment table, but reddish (same color as the Arcane Researcher) and with black spirals at the corners.

Just a quick point out that Metallurgy has Utility Ores that include sulfur and saltpeter, as well as a gunpowder recipe. Considering that I pretty much include this in my vanilla setup, it's worth looking at as a shortcut, as it also includes a nice range of Fantasy Metals as well.

Interesting. Is it a forge mod? if so, the forge ore dictionary would allow my mod to use its saltpeter and sulfur, and vice versa. As for the gunpowder recipe, that's how gunpowder was actually made in medieval times, so I just used that. Alchemy may be magic, but it is also a form of proto-science. A lot of the recipes are either based on or the same as they would be in real life.

No problem, I may try more items, though I have no idea how to texture blocks...

Block textures are (relatively) simple. If you look in the terrain.png for minecraft, you'll see that they have textures for the top, bottom, and sides of each block. If you do create more textures, could you make them slightly higher resolution? They look really good, but they are quite small, and enlarging them causes pixelation.

Depositing new upsized textures with readme included for upsizing: http://www.mediafire.com/?z95b0fiuyotde5y

Hopefully 32 x 32 is fine for you, but tell me if it isn't.

EDIT: I give no assurances of quality, and if you get better textures please use them.

Thanks! I'll take a look at them once I get back to my computer.

Edit: Just looked at the textures. They look amazing. I might edit a few of them a little bit, bit other than that, I love them. I really like the brimstone texture.

Full on Forge mod, yep.

I'll see what I can do for some textures, although I'm still busy on my own stuff first.

That would be great. Thanks for the info on the metallurgy mod.

Hey Green, when you mean stele, do you mean a slab or do you mean the tool for writing on wax tablets?

The tool (Here is his description: A dark grey or black knife. think of the texture for the iron knife or the athame in tekkit, and then make it dark grey or black.)

I like it. The Mana Enchanter is very well done, and the other textures look very nice. I'm definitely going to use most of these in my mod. Thank you for taking the time to make textures for my mod.

No problem, if you need me to make anymore textures, just ask. I will try my hand at the others later, but dont feel like you have to use all of mine.

• Moderators

I looked a bit on your mod list ( still dazed and mindfucking confused...) and I gotta say, Impressive! But you didn't put any of those summons I once asked you of :(

One thing I hope you may want to consider, if it's not too late on the "add more stuff to mod" list.

Ores, some are boring to find and mine, yet you mine them. Like a kid in a candy store, you take whatever you find as fast as you can! Sooner or later you get your inventory full of shit you dont want. If you don't want to be a mage.

Could you make the ores invicible?

Ores that, if mined by anyone non-magician, they would plop out as normal cobblestone. But if you have spent some time doing mage-stuff, the user would see the ores as they really are. And get the actual ore, instead of cobble

This would allow those people who would just want to mess with your mod without actually doing any mage-stuff. And those who wants to be a mage can explore that expertise even further!

I hope I didn't put this out too confusingly. Still, amazing work on your part.

I looked a bit on your mod list ( still dazed and mindfucking confused...) and I gotta say, Impressive! But you didn't put any of those summons I once asked you of :(

One thing I hope you may want to consider, if it's not too late on the "add more stuff to mod" list.

Ores, some are boring to find and mine, yet you mine them. Like a kid in a candy store, you take whatever you find as fast as you can! Sooner or later you get your inventory full of shit you dont want. If you don't want to be a mage.

Could you make the ores invicible?

Ores that, if mined by anyone non-magician, they would plop out as normal cobblestone. But if you have spent some time doing mage-stuff, the user would see the ores as they really are. And get the actual ore, instead of cobble

This would allow those people who would just want to mess with your mod without actually doing any mage-stuff. And those who wants to be a mage can explore that expertise even further!

I hope I didn't put this out too confusingly. Still, amazing work on your part.

The mage only ores could be possible. I could add a block that looks like stone and drops cobblestone unless a certain item is held or a certain spell has been cast. What type of ores would you add that would be mage only?

• Moderators

Add? or the ones you already have in your list? I'm guessing that Apatite and Saltpeter and Sulfur is gonna be as common as coal?

If users dont want the ores, like in SMP-environments, then grant those who wants to go crazy with mage-ism the ability to mine for it themselves. And users who want to go tech-only (nerds) can only see/mine regular cobble. This would prevent any unnecessary config editing, if those silly tech-nerds want to lessen the rate of your ores.

Add? or the ones you already have in your list? I'm guessing that Apatite and Saltpeter and Sulfur is gonna be as common as coal?

If users dont want the ores, like in SMP-environments, then grant those who wants to go crazy with mage-ism the ability to mine for it themselves. And users who want to go tech-only (nerds) can only see/mine regular cobble. This would prevent any unnecessary config editing, if those silly tech-nerds want to lessen the rate of your ores.

Apatite, Saltpeter and Sulfur are indeed going to be very common. the other ores I add are mosly gems, and using the forge ore dictionary, I can make it so that you can use them for other mods. There is also the possiblity of allowing the ability to use them to make tools. The only thing in the mod that really wouldn't have a use in other mods is lead, as it's sole purpose is to be turned into essence using alchemy. I migt make some other mods that use ores from this mod, and release them as modules. Then I would just put world generation into a core module, and make MageCraft and the others into indivdual modules.