Will this PC run a Tekkit Server?

Hotelmariofan

I am looking into purchasing an older PC to run a Tekkit Server 24/7 so I can play with a few friends. I'll write down the specs of the PC I'm looking at, could someone tell me if it would run a server for say, 12 people, well? Thanks in advanced.

PC #1:

Sony VAIO PCV-2232 Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Desktop 1.5GB 120GB

Make(Sony)

Optical Drive(DVD-RW)

Firewire Ports

Video Port

Audio Port

Ethernet

Hard Drive(120GB)

RAM(1.5 GB)

Operating System(Windows XP Home SP3)

Microsoft Office 2007 (Word, Excel, Outlook)

Processor Speed(2.8GHz)

SD Slot

USB Port(2.0)

At least a dual-core, preferably quad. You'll want at least 3 gigs of RAM, and most importantly, a good Internet provider. Avoid Comcast like the plague, but DSL isn't good either. Verizon FiOS is the best way to go, unless you happen to be one of the lucky few getting Google Fiber. Hope this helps. :)

Yes, internet connection is a very important one, although it doesn't seem like it. I have to wait to host my server until we get fiber optic. It runs without lag but low connection is annoyin. Here are my specs: intel core i5 quad core 3.1ghz. Nvidia geforce gtx460 with 1 gig. 4 gigs of RAM (upgrading to 8 soon). And getting fiber soon.

At least a dual-core, preferably quad. You'll want at least 3 gigs of RAM, and most importantly, a good Internet provider. Avoid Comcast like the plague, but DSL isn't good either. Verizon FiOS is the best way to go, unless you happen to be one of the lucky few getting Google Fiber. Hope this helps. :)

everything he said is right, except the dsl part, as verizon is the worst provider in the world, and at&t dls ROCKS, i get 1tbps XD, ok jk, i really get 6 mbps but its fine for server's as mine runs fine with 0 lag for others even people that are in canada

A DSL line gets you 1.5 Mbps download and about half that upload. I know, I used to be stuck on DSL. Cable providers are ok, (but watch for Comcast's hard 250GB per month data cap) but fibre is the best. Most telephone companies have at least some fibre offering, check to see if you're eligible.

Yeah, I was a bit worried about it at first, but after further research I found that out. But back to the topic, do I guess I should invest a little bit more money to get a quad core then? I'd rather not spend 100 bucks for a server but if that's what's required, that's what I'll do.

RP2 pumps just move water though, really; there isn't anything to do with it after that without using deployers and buckets. And they don't even work with water strainers (though they're so buggy in SMP screw that).

The computer is too outdated to update properly. It may be able to serve as a vanilla server for a handful of friends, but I doubt anything beyond that.

Exactly, Sacrieur. RP2 doesn't give you "HERP DERP MAGIC BLOCK THAT DOES IT ALL FOR YOU". It gives you building blocks, stepping stones if you will, and lets you create anything you desire. Build the same machine with BC and RP2. I guarantee you'll feel better about yourself building the RP2 one, as it takes ingenuity. On purpose.

RP2 pumps just move water though, really; there isn't anything to do with it after that without using deployers and buckets. And they don't even work with water strainers (though they're so buggy in SMP screw that).

The computer is too outdated to update properly. It may be able to serve as a vanilla server for a handful of friends, but I doubt anything beyond that.

WRONG! RP2 pumps move lava too.

I see no reason why that won't run a (small) tekkit server, honestly. I've run tekkit on dual 2.4GHz Pentium-4 era Xeons and 1GB of RAM. It was a little slow because of the RAM, but 1.5GB would've been sufficient. People underestimate Pentium 4s.

Don't listen to sacrieur. They obviously know nothing about hardware. Xp is good to host a server off of if you turn the fancy GUI off. You could host MAYBE 10 players if quarries and pipes are kept to a minimum. Good luck!

P.s. I build computers as a pretty serious hobby when I'm not working and have been doing so for about 10 years.