Packets? I no undestand

wfs0801

I'm really new to Tekkit (only played for roughly a week or so). So obviously I'm still learning, and there's a lot to learn. Well I'm making some good progress tonight (used Divining Rod to find first Diamonds ^.^), and I'm planning on expanding my solar farm to bring in more power to expand everything else. I've been doing some research and can't figure out what exactly these 'packets' are that everyone always refers too, I just can't find a straight up definition.

Also, how many regular Solar Panels can I have before the Tin Cable that carries the power to my BatBox can't take it (Currently at 16)? What about the Copper Cable that I have running from the BatBox too Transformer, then on to the Machines? And Gold Cable? It'll be a while before I'll have enough Diamonds to actually use Glass Fibre Cable.

All cables can take an unlimited amount of packets. Cables are only limited by packet size.

All things that send power send packets sized equal to their output rating, once per tick (20 packets per second).

A solar panel is rated at 1 EU/t. It will send packets sized 1 EU, once per tick.

A geothermal generator is rated at 20 EU/t. It will send packets sized 20 EU, once per tick.

A Batbox is rated at 32 EU. It will send packets sized 32 EU, once per tick.

And so on!

Any cable that receives even a single packet larger than it is built for will vaporize.

Any machine that receives even a single packet larger than it is built for will explode, with varying severity.

A packet is basically a burst of power. Tin cables can carry like 5EU/t at most. Solar panels give off 1EU per packet. If you're using LV solar arrays then that's your problem because each gives off 8EU per packet. If you're using regular solars then I don't know what the problem is but you should try replacing them with copper cables.

Also, an unrelated tip: disable EE. You'll have a lot more fun without it. That mod makes all the other mods in Tekkit, including IC2, useless.

Okay, I could probably link you to a thread about that, but I feel like explaining it.

One solar panel makes one 1EU packet of energy per tick. There's 20 ticks per second, so your solarpanel will get you about 20 EU per second. A packet is like a little battery that is sent through your cable. A 1EU packet is a very small battery, and a 64EU packet is a bigger one. A tin cable can take packets smaller than 5EU, about, but it can take an infinite number of them. So, you could have 64 solar panels who would produce a total of 64EU/t(tick), but since that's 64 packets of 1EU, your tin cable won't burn up. However, if you use a medium-voltage solar array, your tin cable will burn. Why? Because it makes one, big packet of 64 EU.

So, as long as you use regular panels, your tin cable can handle as many as you want. But remember that tin cables lose 1 EU per packet per 40 blocks, so if your solar fiwld is larger than 40 blocks, you'll lose your energy.

Also, the Batbox produces LV, so you don't need a transformer yet, but you'll need one or more with the MFS and the MFSU.

Here are the amounts cables can take :

Tin : About 5EU packets

Copper : 32EU packets (LV)

Gold : 128EU packets (MV)

Glass Fiber : 512EU packets (HV)

Refined iron cable : 2048EU packets (ExtremeV)

A packet is basically a burst of power. Tin cables can carry like 5EU/t at most. Solar panels give off 1EU per packet. If you're using LV solar arrays then that's your problem because each gives off 8EU per packet. If you're using regular solars then I don't know what the problem is but you should try replacing them with copper cables.

Also, an unrelated tip: disable EE. You'll have a lot more fun without it. That mod makes all the other mods in Tekkit, including IC2, useless.

How about you stop pushing your views on this person? Why should you tell this person to remove a mod just because you dislike it? The first part of Tekkit is to explore the mods.

The first part of Tekkit is to explore the mods.

Hah, well you happen to be both open and closed minded at the same time >.<

Anywho, just to chip in,

The larger the packet size a cable is taking, the more that energy will dissipate. I.E. you can't have more than 100 blocks of ExtremeV going if you want to power anything more than an electric toothbrush at the end.

Switch things to Glass Fibre ASAP. But don't use EE to get the diamonds for this.

Because then you'll realise if you're condensing enough to rattle off enough diamonds for turning everything to Glass Fibre cable,

then why do you need machines anyway?

And that, Silent, is why EE makes so many people never explore mods beyond basic IC2 machines.

Hah, well you happen to be both open and closed minded at the same time >.<

Anywho, just to chip in,

The larger the packet size a cable is taking, the more that energy will dissipate. I.E. you can't have more than 100 blocks of ExtremeV going if you want to power anything more than an electric toothbrush at the end.

Switch things to Glass Fibre ASAP. But don't use EE to get the diamonds for this.

Because then you'll realise if you're condensing enough to rattle off enough diamonds for turning everything to Glass Fibre cable,

then why do you need machines anyway?

And that, Silent, is why EE makes so many people never explore mods beyond basic IC2 machines.

Now that we've explained packets four times already, why doesn't a fifth guy comes in and explain it again?

Now that we've explained packets four times already, why doesn't a fifth guy comes in and explain it again?

Well you see,

One solar panel makes one 1EU packet of energy per tick. There's 20 ticks per second, so your solarpanel will get you about 20 EU per second. A packet is like a little battery that is sent through your cable. A 1EU packet is a very small battery, and a 64EU packet is a bigger one. A tin cable can take packets smaller than 5EU, about, but it can take an infinite number of them. So, you could have 64 solar panels who would produce a total of 64EU/t(tick), but since that's 64 packets of 1EU, your tin cable won't burn up. However, if you use a medium-voltage solar array, your tin cable will burn. Why? Because it makes one, big packet of 64 EU.

So, as long as you use regular panels, your tin cable can handle as many as you want. But remember that tin cables lose 1 EU per packet per 40 blocks, so if your solar fiwld is larger than 40 blocks, you'll lose your energy.

Also, the Batbox produces LV, so you don't need a transformer yet, but you'll need one or more with the MFS and the MFSU.

Well you see,

This thread should be the official "Multiple packets explanation thread". And I'm sure you could have explained by yourself, rather than plagiarize me. :(

Yeah, but you're all forgetting all cables can take an unlimited amount of packets. Cables are only limited by packet size.

All things that send power send packets sized equal to their output rating, once per tick (20 packets per second).

A solar panel is rated at 1 EU/t. It will send packets sized 1 EU, once per tick.

A geothermal generator is rated at 20 EU/t. It will send packets sized 20 EU, once per tick.

A Batbox is rated at 32 EU. It will send packets sized 32 EU, once per tick.

And so on!

Any cable that receives even a single packet larger than it is built for will vaporize.

Any machine that receives even a single packet larger than it is built for will explode, with varying severity.