Why do we need the mods?

If I want to join a server but that server has, lets say the rocket-science addon for IC2, why would I need the mod. is it because of the launcher or is it just because the mod requires everyone to have it or somthing else all together.I mean the mods are for SMP so why do we need them? Can anyone provide some insight?

Its because the way how the mods work. When you place a block, your client sends the block's ID to the server, which then sends it again to all clients in the server. This requires both the server and the client to have the same mod for them to recognize the ID. If you have some mod the server doesn't, you can still play in that server, you just can't use the mod since the server cannot recognize the mod's IDs. If you don't have some mod the server has, the server cannot send you the mods IDs since your client cannot recognize them. It's simple, have the mods or don't play.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the actual way mods work, someone correct me if im wrong.

It is because the Client needs to have the same mods as the server...

EDIT: ninjaed by a better description and actual modder. :ninja:

:3 <-- My face when you called me a modder. Nah, i just created the most awesome thing ever made in Tekkit (atleast according to the moderators/admins).

Codespeak: It boils down to the famous NullPointerException that arises when you try to figure out properties/states/methods of a null "object" (it isn't really an object - it's nothing!).

Layman's terms: It boils down to when your client is trying to figure out a block/item's properties when such a block/item doesn't exist.

Let's say you join a game without a mod that exists on the server, and the server tells your client: "Here's an item that's going to interact* with your player!". If your client searches through its list of items and blocks it knows and can't find it, it makes up a "nothing" thing and tries to use that. Well computers are totally useless at figuring out stuff from nothing, so it will just crash/burn and cry instead.

*interact could mean render, explode, use, cause damage to, etc.

Hence, the best way to cover your own ass is to assk** everyone who connects to your server to use the same mods.

**originally a typo, keeping it there

:3 <-- My face when you called me a modder. Nah, i just created the most awesome thing ever made in Tekkit (atleast according to the moderators/admins).

Well, you had the colour so I just assumed :)

Codespeak: It boils down to the famous NullPointerException that arises when you try to figure out properties/states/methods of a null "object" (it isn't really an object - it's nothing!).

Layman's terms: It boils down to when your client is trying to figure out a block/item's properties when such a block/item doesn't exist.

Let's say you join a game without a mod that exists on the server, and the server tells your client: "Here's an item that's going to interact* with your player!". If your client searches through its list of items and blocks it knows and can't find it, it makes up a "nothing" thing and tries to use that. Well computers are totally useless at figuring out stuff from nothing, so it will just crash/burn and cry instead.

*interact could mean render, explode, use, cause damage to, etc.

Hence, the best way to cover your own ass is to assk** everyone who connects to your server to use the same mods.

**originally a typo, keeping it there

That makes sense.

Its because the way how the mods work. When you place a block, your client sends the block's ID to the server, which then sends it again to all clients in the server. This requires both the server and the client to have the same mod for them to recognize the ID. If you have some mod the server doesn't, you can still play in that server, you just can't use the mod since the server cannot recognize the mod's IDs. If you don't have some mod the server has, the server cannot send you the mods IDs since your client cannot recognize them. It's simple, have the mods or don't play.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the actual way mods work, someone correct me if im wrong.

Mostly correct. Mods that need to be installed on just the server are serverside mods, also called plugins. Mods that are installed only on the client side (usually in the form of hacks) are client side mods. Since the only the thing done client side in the code is rendering, there are very few client side mods. It also means that if you want to be able to play modded minecraft on a server, the server needs to have the mod installed, and you need to have the mod installed. If you have mods that aren't on the server, and those mods are coded so that

serverSideRequired=false
 then you can have them installed even if the server doesn't, but they will be disabled. The code for determining whether a mod is required in the server, the client, or both, is 
@NetworkMod(clientSideRequired=true/false, serverSideRequired=true/false)
Most mods (Not counting plugins and client side mods/hacks here) need to installed on both the client and server, so the code is set to 
@NetworkMod(clientSideRequired=true, serverSideRequired=false)

How do you make a server IN tekkit? Also, not the according to the mods/admins)

well technically, the map runs inside the tekkit.jar so your server is inside the memory bits that the tekkit.jar and mods allocate for themselves.

Id wager to ask in return "how do you make a tekkit server OUTSIDE of tekkit? :P

And what I imagine the mods/admin says about my server when I hear them talking to me in my head is my business..thank you! :)

If I want to join a server but that server has, lets say the rocket-science addon for IC2, why would I need the mod. is it because of the launcher or is it just because the mod requires everyone to have it or somthing else all together.I mean the mods are for SMP so why do we need them? Can anyone provide some insight?

i meant i updated my tekkit but it wont work as many times as it updated ie even tryed redownloading it but it wont work so the tekkit server i go on wont letme on cuz sum of the mods are updated and i have the older mod :/

Who the heck are you!? Pretty sure you posted this in the wrong place...