Incessant lag, unloading areas

Ultimate117

Hey guys. I'm back again with another Tekkit issue. Once again, I spent about ten minutes reading the section titles trying to find an appropriate section for this question. They're not funny, they're trying to hard.

Anyway, yesterday I was getting about 20-40 fps, from 80+ the previous day. Not a huge issue, I just let it go. I started Tekkit today, and now I'm getting about 1-2 fps, and large areas are visibly rapidly unloading and reloading on the minimap. Here's a screenshot, keep in mind that this is happening in different areas over and over again:2bm83.png

I had to go to the escape menu and bring up another window to take this screenshot, ingame was lagging way too much to do anything.

The server is using an unaltered Tekkit, as well as me. Nothing has changed with my computer, and it normally runs very well. Now I'm going to be a little rude and ask not to receive the following answers, as they are not correct:

- Updating graphics drivers/any drivers

- Reinstalling Tekkit

- Upgrading my computer...

I'm happy to modify anything to do with... anything if it will fix this issue. Here are my system specs:

Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5GhZ, GTX550TI 1GB, 7GB RAM, plenty of HDD space, at a good speed.

Thanks a ton for any answers, I've tried all I can.

EDIT: This is NOT full PC lag. It's running everything else fine, and I don't believe it's maxxing anything about it.

None on the map. Though NVidia cards have always given me a high fps that isn't truely "smooth", though that could just be my refresh rate. Anyway, unrelated. Any other ideas?

The issue isn't with NVidia cards in general, it is that NVidia cards, when used with Technic, can cause massive lag unless some settings are changed (I don't remember which ones but there have been some posts about it around here). Another thing, have you tried deleting/disabling IC2 sounds in the IC2 config file?

I'll have to try that, I'

The issue isn't with NVidia cards in general, it is that NVidia cards, when used with Technic, can cause massive lag unless some settings are changed (I don't remember which ones but there have been some posts about it around here). Another thing, have you tried deleting/disabling IC2 sounds in the IC2 config file?

I'll have to try that, I'll report back.

I have an Nvidia GeForce GT 610 and have had zero problems with tekkit / technic. It more than likely is another culprit unless you changed some settings on the card itself.

That is the newer one though right? I have only seen it happen with certain types of NVidia cards.

Alright, can't find that file, where is it and which option should be changed?

That is the newer one though right? I have only seen it happen with certain types of NVidia cards.

You know what type of card it is? A Mobile one. That's because laptops tend to have integrated graphics as well, and Java defaults to using those. It's not really the NVidia card, then; it's the fact that Java's stupid.

You know what type of card it is? A Mobile one. That's because laptops tend to have integrated graphics as well, and Java defaults to using those. It's not really the NVidia card, then; it's the fact that Java's stupid.

Oh okay, that clears up some issues. From what I have encountered it seems NVidia cards are the largest culprits. Do you happen to know what settings need to be tweeked?

Do you happen to know what settings need to be tweeked?

Assuming you're on a laptop, which is the only place they cause problems that I've seen, you go into the NVIDIA Control Panel and change the 3d Settings to make Java, the Launcher, and Minecraft (just for fun, all 3, yes) use the "High-Performance NVIDIA processor".

Just for Reference here, I am also using a GTX550TI with 1GB of VRAM, I have 0 problems running anything I ask fo it. I use BETA Drivers tho so sometimes my game goes from 100+ fps to around 40, so I would rollback your drivers maybe? Just giving my thoughts here, seeing I run the same vcard :P

Some us would rather just play and deal with crap FPS than not play at all.

Indeed. 20 fps is more than enough to get by, but I'd prefer 30 or more if possible. Of course, I remember when i used to play on my old 32 bit Vista with 1 or 2 GB ram. It was bad, but I still played. That was back when Technic first came out, and GameBooster was my best friend.

getting back to the OP, this sounds a lot like an issue I was having a little while back after I upgraded my computer and tried playing tekkit on it. I would get great framerate for maybe a minute or 2 and then massive lag, <1 fps, and it would become completely unplayable. only MC would be having this issue and there's no way my desktop with SLI'd GTX580s and 16GB of ram was having issues handling minecraft.

it turns out, the launcher was defaulting to 32-bit java, despite 64-bit being installed and marked as the default. I had to create a batch file that I use to run the launcher in order to make sure it runs on 64-bit.

here's how to make sure you're not having this problem: open tekkit, just leave it on the title screen. ctrl+alt+del and open task manager. look at the processes tab and find "java.exe". if you see a *32 on the end, it's running in 32-bit mode and this is your problem. if you don't, you're fine.

edit: oh and the section names are fine, thanks. this actually belongs in, at worst, the general SMP section. at best it belongs in the tekkit bug board. it really doesn't belong here and I doubt you thought about it for more than 2 seconds.