Tekkit/Technic lagging on Gaming Pc

Brad Sharp

I can't seem to grasp why tekkit/technic are only achieving around 60 FPS. I do have the sphax purebd 64x texture pack with the tekkit/technic patches, but I run all other games like COD, Battlefield 3, Prototype 2 with all highest settings they can go and its going down to around 25 FPS when I record with any recording program. Please help me, here are hte specs to my computer.

CPU: AMD FX-6100

RAM/Memory: 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6800 OVERCLOCKED

GPU clock settings: 840MHz

memory clock settings: 1100 MHz

Minecraft isn't like most other games, and will eat up all the PC's resources regardless, especially with all the mods and a higher res TP. But yes, use 2-4 GB RAM (More sometimes=Less). And just to be sure, in case you have an integrated graphics card, make sure java is set to use the Radeon card. And make sure you don't have Java 32 installed alongside Java 64, as it will default to the slower Java 32. Doing all that may increase performance, but don't expect any jump in FPS, especially when using a recording program.

java 32 is more than likely installed due to the browsers needing it and being 32bit.

Now, I doubt you have 8gb allocated to the technic launcher because it wouldn't launch if you had all your ram allocated. The system simply wont allow it when java asks.

secondly, you only get the option to allocate more than 2gb if java 64bit is properly installed and detected by the launcher in which case 4gb is more than adequate to allocate and run full bore max settings. The most I have seen technic use in this configuration is 2.27gb of ram.

you can allocate all available ram in the launcher because it isn't a "hard" allocation, for lack of a better term. all that does is tell the java virtual machine that it is allowed to use up to that amount if it needs to, but the JVM doesn't claim the full amount from the start.

you do want to turn that down though, 2 gigs should be more than enough. you may also want to check your video card settings, as maxing out at 60fps sounds like Vsync is being forced. regardless of what you do, you WILL take a huge FPS hit when your recording, assuming you are using FRAPS.

• 2 weeks later...

As people have said, don't allocate that much RAM. Minecraft will bloat and back up with garbage data until it crawls to a painful halt. MC is not known for being optimized or even well coded honestly. 1 gig is enough. Two if you don't believe me and wan't to haggle. 32 bit java also makes it run like crap.