Forge not installing?

sugarissweet

Forge is not working for my modpack

dropbox link; https://www.dropbox.com/s/0k6ouhjiggdmmk8/ISWEARTOGOD modpack.zip?dl=0
I've never made a modpack and im not too tech savy but i thought i'd make one for fun for friends and i but i keep getting an error each time i join saying "forge isn't installed". I've tried changing the name to "modpack" and still nothing. help?

Without checking I am just going to assume that you used the latest forge version and renamed the universal file. Forge made changes to newer versions, which includes the latest versions for 1.12.2, where you have to instead download the installer and rename that to modpack.jar. Lots of users have been having this issue recently as forge seems to have "snuck" these changes into the latest 1.12.2 builds, previously they were only for 1.13+, hence why any guide you may have followed did not include this newer info.

If that's not the case then I will take a closer look.

• 3 months later...
On 6/20/2020 at 4:01 PM, TerdyTheTerd said:

Without checking I am just going to assume that you used the latest forge version and renamed the universal file. Forge made changes to newer versions, which includes the latest versions for 1.12.2, where you have to instead download the installer and rename that to modpack.jar. Lots of users have been having this issue recently as forge seems to have "snuck" these changes into the latest 1.12.2 builds, previously they were only for 1.13+, hence why any guide you may have followed did not include this newer info.

Literally fixed my issue. Made this account just to say thank you. Been doing this on occasion for over 5 years; never seen this before, but it's 100% what needed to be done

On 6/20/2020 at 3:01 PM, TerdyTheTerd said:

I know this may be 3 months later but do you mean rename the installer and add that to the bin file or rename it modpack.jar and then install it into the bin? (Edit): I am trying to do this with 1.16.3.... sooo is it different?

Edited by Silice

• 1 year later...

In addition to the using the forge installer.jar, double check to make sure the zip file download definitely has the bin/ config/ and mods/ folders at the root of the archive. Some tools may put the contents in a folder of the same name as zip file.