How-To Drain a Quarry..

hoosiercub

I've got a large quarry with a considerable amount of liquid in it. I know I can pump it out into tanks but is there any other way that I can basically destroy it, since strainers are no more and no volcanite amulets etc.. what can I do otherwise, I don't want the water and it's causing a serious strain on my server.

Filler + all the cobble the quarry pulled out in the first place. Or you could turn that cobble into sand with macerators and have the filler drop sand all over it. This won't be very easy, however, if you made a very large quarry.

You could also pump it into tanks as you initially mentioned and break the tanks to destroy the liquid, then replace the tanks. The filler would be a significantly faster method though.

Yeah it's a pretty good sized quarry.

2013-01-23_14.37.01.png

I think I'll just do what you mentioned by draining it with the pump since I already have a couple of those, filling up tanks, breaking and replacing them. I just hoped there was something simpler and a little faster method of doing this.

**Edit** Yes it says Oil Penis.. first one I'd ever found that was like 30 blocks off the surface and my brother playing on the server with me named it so.

Yeah it's a pretty good sized quarry.

I think I'll just do what you mentioned by draining it with the pump since I already have a couple of those, filling up tanks, breaking and replacing them. I just hoped there was something simpler and a little faster method of doing this.

With it still being so shallow filler would be significantly quicker than the pumps.

Is it really necessary to clear all the water out? Quarries operate just fine in water.

Yes, it is quite necessary, it's not about the quarry operation it's about the lag that that much flowing water causes on my server. In addition I like to go down to the bottom and pick all the things the quarry usually miss by hand on the sidewalls. A metric ***ton of water really impedes my ability to do that.

I ended up using a Filler and stopping the quarry process.

2013-01-24_10.54.39.png

ive always built quarries on water and have never had any lag with the resulting solid block of down flowing water. to deal with clearing the sides of it out: the speed boost of IC2s pants helps you swim A LOT faster if you do it right

ive always built quarries on water and have never had any lag with the resulting solid block of down flowing water. to deal with clearing the sides of it out: the speed boost of IC2s pants helps you swim A LOT faster if you do it right

Cool story, I had a smaller quarry with not nearly as much water as this and cleared it out by hand by filling in the source blocks. It caused a tremendous amount of lag. It's hosted on my home desktop computer and it's just me and a few people that play.

I'd rather not swim. The filler did it's job and did it quite well. no more water and the quarry is back to work without frustration on my behalf.

I see you got rid of the oil penis...

If you didn't want to deal with water, why did you build it over a lake?

I don't think most people realize the game will magically multiply the water and take a small lake and turn it into an ocean when you quarry on it.

I don't think most people realize the game will magically multiply the water and take a small lake and turn it into an ocean when you quarry on it.

Good point. Still, if you know how the water physics are in the game you should be able to guess what will happen.

You initially WANT water in your quarry. This will turn lava, which the quarry will skip over into obsidian and stone, which the quarry can handle.

To remove it, just fill in the source blocks. I did this by hand in a 64x64 quarry, and only spent about an hour swimming around with a few stacks of cobble blocking up the source blocks.

You also have the wand of cooling in factorization. This can be used to turn source water into ice, push back flowing water or lava, or lava to obsidian

• 2 weeks later...

Flowing water by itself doesn't increase lag, providing it isn't expanding quickly. Once flowing water is in a block, it's no different than dirt or stone. Wanting to get in there and mine the walls though, I can understand that.

Well my server would like to disagree with you, this mess was caused by my brother, and it actually dragged the server down to an unusable state. He didn't know, and I didn't know how to help him, which is why I originally came here to begin with.

Pro-tip, next time fill it in before you start the quarry and place a single water source block anywhere in the quarries area.

My experience with Tekkit was pretty limited and I hadn't used things like the filler before, and I didn't even know they existed.

You initially WANT water in your quarry. This will turn lava, which the quarry will skip over into obsidian and stone, which the quarry can handle.

To remove it, just fill in the source blocks. I did this by hand in a 64x64 quarry, and only spent about an hour swimming around with a few stacks of cobble blocking up the source blocks.

You also have the wand of cooling in factorization. This can be used to turn source water into ice, push back flowing water or lava, or lava to obsidian

Yes I can totally agree, you do.. you DON'T want a mechanic of the game to crash your server, which it did in this case. Causing it to be unusable for a lengthy period of time until everything finally catches up. Especially during the draining process.

I did use the filler to fill in the area 8 blocks deep where all the water sources where and then some just to be sure of the deep spots in the small bodies of water that were there when my brother built the thing initially. All is well now and we're all the wiser.

If this is your server use world edit plug in an just do a //drain 50. Some might think its kinda cheating but its your server and play however it makes it fun for ya.

The problem has already been resolved, but we don't use bukkit emulation of any kind, so we don't have World Edit, it's just a "vanilla" Tekkit Server, and we don't cheat either ;)