Big Dig Pack

CanVox

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably because it's a nicely done modpack and that it's different from other modpacks in the form of worldgen. I personally enjoy it, and I also enjoy Tekkit. I do tend to lean more towards Big Dig though.

I downloaded the mod pack to see what all the fuss was about. I went in with an open mind and played for roughly 10 hours (in total). My general impression was that someone just located each and every mod out there, smacked them together in a pack. Nothing has been done to tweak or integrate the mods, they are just working, and that's it. I do see how this pack has a certain allure to some players out there, since (and I quote this from the modpack) "it's not cheating... but it's close!".

This fact and playstyle is lost on me. I don't want everything for nothing, I want the game to be an actual challenge. That way, whenever I create something in game, I will have at least a small sense of pride from the work. Looking at this modpack and what people create in it, I just go "meh..". They might as well have creative mode for all I care. That said, I will again say, I'm baffled as to why players would even want to play this. This modpack has got to be a nightmare for servers.

You may enjoy your own play style, but that in no way makes players with a different play style "bad players". If someone wants to check out a wide variety of mods without spending hours collecting the resources required to do so, that's their decision and it makes them no worse players than if they enjoyed spending hours collecting the resources to do everything. The fact that they don't want to doesn't mean that they can't or will. You shouldn't judge people as "bad players" just because they play a game as diverse as Minecraft in a different way to you. You may not enjoy this, but that has no effect on whether others do. Just because the play style is lost on you doesn't mean it's lost on everyone else.

You may enjoy your own play style, but that in no way makes players with a different play style "bad players". If someone wants to check out a wide variety of mods without spending hours collecting the resources required to do so, that's their decision and it makes them no worse players than if they enjoyed spending hours collecting the resources to do everything. The fact that they don't want to doesn't mean that they can't or will. You shouldn't judge people as "bad players" just because they play a game as diverse as Minecraft in a different way to you. You may not enjoy this, but that has no effect on whether others do. Just because the play style is lost on you doesn't mean it's lost on everyone else.

I do judge people as bad players if they either cheat or become lazy. Okay, maybe bad is not the word to describe it, but you get the gist of it.

Yeah, it was worded pretty badly. Blanket-naming every player of a pack as "bad" is never a good idea, especially when some of the most experianced players out there play it. You can judge the pack, but deciding how good at Minecraft the players are by it isn't a good idea

I do judge people as bad players if they either cheat or become lazy. Okay, maybe bad is not the word to describe it, but you get the gist of it.

yeah man, those lazy fucks are having a good time without putting in the hard work that they should have to put in to enjoy themselves when they're playing a game. fucking terrible, man. this is minecraft, not your grandma's fucking pong games! you shouldn't just be able to do what you want in a time frame of less than 3 weeks. what are these people, some kind of "adults" with their so-called "jobs" and lame excuses like "responsibilities" for not having 8+ hours a day to spend in the mines like the rest of us? assholes like that don't deserve to even have a 3x3x3 dirt hut, real talk.

and don't give me this BS "playstyle" garbage, either. I don't want to hear excuses for not playing this game with almost no rules the correct way like a REAL FUCKING MINER. if you don't like it, get your entitled ass out of here because only pros are allowed to play with THESE virtual legos, scrubs.

that's what you sound like when you say shit like this about a game like minecraft. think about that.

yeah man, those lazy fucks are having a good time without putting in the hard work that they should have to put in to enjoy themselves when they're playing a game. fucking terrible, man. this is minecraft, not your grandma's fucking pong games! you shouldn't just be able to do what you want in a time frame of less than 3 weeks. what are these people, some kind of "adults" with their so-called "jobs" and lame excuses like "responsibilities" for not having 8+ hours a day to spend in the mines like the rest of us? assholes like that don't deserve to even have a 3x3x3 dirt hut, real talk.

and don't give me this BS "playstyle" garbage, either. I don't want to hear excuses for not playing this game with almost no rules the correct way like a REAL FUCKING MINER. if you don't like it, get your entitled ass out of here because only pros are allowed to play with THESE virtual legos, scrubs.

that's what you sound like when you say shit like this about a game like minecraft. think about that.

This is why I hate to discuss on a forum.

You clearly misinterpreted the message as an offense against your game preferences. That was not how I wanted it. I have no intention of backing away from the fact that I believe this modpack is crap. If players want to play it. Fine. I just don't understand why anyone would want to play a modpack that is essentially creative mode without creative mode.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to play a modpack that is essentially creative mode without creative mode.

Perhaps it's so they can spend more time enjoying the content added by the mods and less time sitting in a cave/quarry/mineshaft/whatever looking for resources.

Perhaps it's so they can spend more time enjoying the content added by the mods and less time sitting in a cave/quarry/mineshaft/whatever looking for resources.

Maybe some will disagree with me on this one, but isn't that some part of the fun? Spelunkering, finding caverns, fight mobs and the thrill of finding a rare ore after a lot of work and using it to craft expensive sought after objects? And if they want to skip that at some point, why not just enable creative mode then?

After all, the game is called "Mine" "Craft"...

Maybe some will disagree with me on this one, but isn't that some part of the fun? Spelunkering, finding caverns, fight mobs and the thrill of finding a rare ore after a lot of work and using it to craft expensive sought after objects? And if they want to skip that at some point, why not just enable creative mode then?

After all, the game is called "Mine" "Craft"...

Man, I hate X feature, i wish people didn't force me to play it.

There's still mining involved, just significantly less of it.

As has been said before, it's all about play style. Some people like spending a lot of time mining. Some people would rather use creative mode. And some still want to mine, but either don't have the time/patience/etc to spend as much as the first group and would rather just get into the other portions of mods (i.e. the things that are the reason you were collecting resources).

There's still mining involved, just significantly less of it.

As has been said before, it's all about play style. Some people like spending a lot of time mining. Some people would rather use creative mode. And some still want to mine, but either don't have the time/patience/etc to spend as much as the first group and would rather just get into the other portions of mods (i.e. the things that are the reason you were collecting resources).

I'm guessing that's why they invented toggable creative mode? (I'm not trying to be demeaning in any way, I'm just a little confused about this).

Hello, aldrigviking. Please write a 1,000 word essay on the following topic. This is not optional. If you fail to complete this challenge in 5 days, you will be banned.

Your topic: Explain in detail how exactly you could use toggleable creative mode to create a play style in which someone mines some but not as much as in tekkit. Please explain how this would be more enjoyable for people than just playing a modpack that has more frequent ores. Again, this is not optional, and I do expect that you will put some level of effort into it, since if your essay isn't very good, you will be kellered. Please remember essay-writing guidelines. Have an introduction that introduces your assertions and a conclusion that wraps things up. Give each paragraph a strong assertion with supporting evidence statements. Your future on these forums are in the hands of your writing skills now!

Hello, aldrigviking. Please write a 1,000 word essay on the following topic. This is not optional. If you fail to complete this challenge in 5 days, you will be banned.

Your topic: Explain in detail how exactly you could use toggleable creative mode to create a play style in which someone mines some but not as much as in tekkit. Please explain how this would be more enjoyable for people than just playing a modpack that has more frequent ores. Again, this is not optional, and I do expect that you will put some level of effort into it, since if your essay isn't very good, you will be kellered. Please remember essay-writing guidelines. Have an introduction that introduces your assertions and a conclusion that wraps things up. Give each paragraph a strong assertion with supporting evidence statements. Your future on these forums are in the hands of your writing skills now!

Since you are the creator of the modpack, you're to biased to decide the fate of forum members posting in this thread. If you have a problem with me not liking your modpack, then it's your problem, not mine. I do not see why I should be punished for stating an opinion. If you do, however, decide to follow through with this "threat", I will consider it abuse of your forum powers.

Don't let it get to your head, just because you have a popular modpack.

Since you are the creator of the modpack, you're to biased to decide the fate of forum members posting in this thread. If you have a problem with me not liking your modpack, then it's your problem, not mine. I do not see why I should be punished for stating an opinion. If you do, however, decide to follow through with this "threat", I will consider it abuse of your forum powers.

Don't let it get to your head, just because you have a popular modpack.

Hi, aldrigviking,

The problem is that you're not really just stating an opinion, the problem is that you have a really poorly-thought-out opinion, people have pointed out issues with it, and rather than address their concerns or think things through, you keep just restating that opinion over and over again without incorporating new information or having a conversation with anyone. That's really annoying, and also boring, and also you were already warned about this shit earlier by a different mod. That's why this essay assignment is so great- you will have to think through your opinions and hopefully find at least one interesting thing to say in 1,000 words. Or you can be banned.

Hi, aldrigviking,

The problem is that you're not really just stating an opinion, the problem is that you have a really poorly-thought-out opinion, people have pointed out issues with it, and rather than address their concerns or think things through, you keep just restating that opinion over and over again without incorporating new information or having a conversation with anyone. That's really annoying, and also boring, and also you were already warned about this shit earlier by a different mod. That's why this essay assignment is so great- you will have to think through your opinions and hopefully find at least one interesting thing to say in 1,000 words. Or you can be banned.

dude... do whatever you like. I'll just stop posting in this thread if you find me that annoying.

First off let me say that I am glad to see BigDig added as a official technic pack. I seem to be having a problem with the mod CraftandEnchant, anytime someone on our server opens up a enchanting table the game will crash. Crash report can be found HERE, I've talked with the developer of the mod and he says the only work around is to change the version of the mod. I am curious if you have any other input as if I change the mod of the server, players will no longer be able to connect due to mismatched mods between client and server.