Drunkraft(WIP) - Discussion and Suggestion

Lethosos

Some months ago, I made a promise to an admin (known in the past for his drunken rampages) on a Vanilla server that's no longer up anymore, its spirit divided between two newer servers. I decided that now was the time to go ahead and start coding this project, now that I'm more comfortable with the Java environment. It's a bit of an ambitious task, but with your cooperation and support I feel I can really make this sing.

The premise of Drunkcraft is basically it's an alcohol mod. But that's just calling Bud Light "sophisticated." No, it's best to describe it as "Advanced Brewing" if we were to use Vanilla Minecraft terms. There are two parts to the mod in whole: the brewing/distillation machines and the powerful effects of crafting/mining while under the influence of your home-made moonshine. :D

A shortlist of what the mod will contain:

• The creation of various alcoholic products, such as beer, tequila, vodka, rum, and whiskey
  • Buildcraft? compatable machines that all perform various tasks in the brewing process, such as:

Fermenter

Distiller

Condenser

Press

Bottler

And larger production structures for your industrial facilities!

• Storage containers for all your booze, both large and small!
  • Intermixed effects for your unique brand of booze!
  • And speaking of unique brands... there's a way to name any batch of liquor--and keep it constant when bottling it!

Suggestions are quite welcome, and we have happy hour between 9 and 10 PM, with drinks at half-price. :frogc00l:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buildcraft?

If this is going to be a technic only mod MJ's are fine but if you want this to be able to go out into the world, it has to be able to take UE, MJ, EU, hell maybe EMC (I think I read somewhere that there's going to be a way to pipe and store EMC in EE3), etc. It even needs to be able to take something burnable like logs for players with just vanilla minecraft with two other mods installed to be able to use.

I just think that if this is going beyond the community here, these are musts.

Oh and I'll have a cup of whiskey during this hour if you don't mind! :D

I know, the electric counterparts will come after I get the basic modules up and running without problems. Then I can start hooking stuff up together. Having the units function with at least UE, MJ, and EU will work just fine for my purposes, I'm not gonna play with magitek until I'm ready to really branch out and add some innovative brews to the mix.

1: Don't forget wine

2: You should target UE as the base mod. From what I gather one of the submod authors is working on a fluids mod that will have pressure calculations, perfect feature for a distillery setup.

3: I've been contemplating a "kitchen" mod with UE as a base, featuring more crops, basic farm tools, kitchen equipment, and a food system that lets you create meals to mix/match buffs. If I ever get enough sleep to finish my current project I'll be adding in a decent list of crops that could be used for brewing (grapes and a couple berries).

Heh, grapes is on my list already, the industrial sized non-powered press is planned to do wine the traditional way... with your dirty, stinky feet! :D Should be a fun addition once I work out the logistics of that. (You could technically trap a cow/pig/sheep/wolf in there, too, but I should make the end result for that basically "liquid poo" just to teach the cheaty ones a lesson.)

I'll certainly start with that once the liquid dynamics are in place.

Depends on how realistic you want some machines to get.

You could have the basic set of distillery blocks that take fruit/grains in and give out booze then a more mechanical set that takes into account pressure, heat, time, and acidity values that require monitoring and corrective actions to produce more booze, or a better quality. The CC API could allow a computer to control the machine, monitoring the statistics and setting off the corrective actions as needed but would require the computer to know what the levels of each should be for the specific target booze (so it's not just a generic infinite loop checking static values).

Hrm. Tell you what, we'll put aside for the time being, I may put out some hooks if someone more interested in the pure science of it is interested in writing the add-on code for that purpose. All I wanna do is throw organic stuff in big pot, simmer, and drain off the juice so I can drink it til I'm blind. :p

Right in one. You can't run without walking. I intend to take a good look at liquids and tank systems while writing up the fermenter.

Besides, I'm waiting on mDiyo's tutorial on structures before I can set up the larger mass-production versions.

don't worry about other mods electricity grids, if you are going for buildcraft compatible engines, stick with MJ, its convenient, and there are always awesome mods like powercrystals power converters that will do all the conversion stuff, why reinvent the wheel? gl with this it looks like it has potential far beyond the brewing i am familiar with currently!

Given that the distillation process for whiskey does call for concentrating ethanol alcohol (or at least what the process says, I'm not looking it up again,) you can light this stuff just fine. So it's on the menu.

Given that the distillation process for whiskey does call for concentrating ethanol alcohol (or at least what the process says, I'm not looking it up again,) you can light this stuff just fine. So it's on the menu.

This is the best mod ever.

Out of curiosity, would any of you be comfortable about me adding the "angel's share" to the aging process in barrels/tuns? This is a natural process where the ethanol in distilled spirits evaporate over time while stored in oak barrels. (The going rate seems to be at 2% per month, I think. 10% in tropic regions, of course.)

In return, the "devil's cut" can be added to extract booze from "aged" barrels. More research is needed to understand just how much can be gained.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Those are gameplay tweaks you don't really need to worry about yet.

I know, I just do a fair amount of research when I a project. "Angel's share/devil's cut" is on the other list that I keep for additional ideas to add at a future date. I just wanted to see how receptive that kind of idea would be to those interested.