So.. with lack of a proper powering system...

It is damn near impossible to power a factory without burning through dozens of stacks of coal.

I've tried to create a system using harvesters and planters to feed the Stirlings wood, but not enough power is generated from that.

Gonna try using Steves Carts with a Solar Engine.. Maybe that'll help?

TE: it provedes every means you need to power all your machines - or store that energy

MFR: Bio Reactors + Bio Generators are also a nice option, however to only run you stuff by those it could require quite a few big automated farms to effectivly run. (thought you would also get tons of wood so you could combine it with steam engines from TE).

Magmatic Engines are the best option if you abuse some other mechanics.

TE: it provedes every means you need to power all your machines - or store that energy

MFR: Bio Reactors + Bio Generators are also a nice option, however to only run you stuff by those it could require quite a few big automated farms to effectivly run. (thought you would also get tons of wood so you could combine it with steam engines from TE).

Magmatic Engines are the best option if you abuse some other mechanics.

I tend to abuse ever mechanic in the game, so long as it's legit. So no EE3 BS...

Oh nvm, you mean the steam... Which is going to make me run back and forth from a decent water source, or build a half dozen Accumaltors to supply a dozen Steam engines to power my 3 mechs, barely...

What's so bad about Steam? I don't think "a dozen Steam engines" would only barely power 3 machines. They output 2MJ/t, and AFAIK the most any one machine uses is 4. 12*2 is 24, and 3*4 is 12. You have 12MJ/t left over - assuming that every single one of those machines uses 4MJ/t. That's a pretty big excess in terms of MJ. 3 Steam Engines would easily run them at half capacity, which is more than "barely".

I tend to abuse ever mechanic in the game, so long as it's legit. So no EE3 BS...

Oh nvm, you mean the steam... Which is going to make me run back and forth from a decent water source, or build a half dozen Accumaltors to supply a dozen Steam engines to power my 3 mechs, barely...

you can also use BC Pumps over 3x3x1 water ponds. Not sure what's more effective thought, didn't use the accumulators yet.

What's so bad about Steam? I don't think "a dozen Steam engines" would only barely power 3 machines. They output 2MJ/t, and AFAIK the most any one machine uses is 4. 12*2 is 24, and 3*4 is 12. You have 12MJ/t left over - assuming that every single one of those machines uses 4MJ/t. That's a pretty big excess in terms of MJ. 3 Steam Engines would easily run them at half capacity, which is more than "barely".

Large MRE Treefarms cut trough your energy reservers as they do trough their forest thought ;-)

Accumulators don't need powering and can't bug out and exhaust the water source. Probably faster too. Definitely a better option.

Aye seems to do the trick, 1 steam per mech, and I have a dozen mechs, Induction counts as 2, so about 20 steams to power, about a stack of coal each, so 20*64...

Damn...

Lagnalok's suggestion of using tree farms to get the wood, convert it to charcoal, then using the saplings in a bio reactor is quite a nice idea. Should keep you powered infinitely, and it'll look pretty nice too.

Lagnalok's suggestion of using tree farms to get the wood, convert it to charcoal, then using the saplings in a bio reactor is quite a nice idea. Should keep you powered infinitely, and it'll look pretty nice too.

Major problem with that -> you'll use more energy to make charcoal over just burning the wood.

Would it? As far as I can see, a dedicated steam or Stirling engine could easily create plenty of charcoal from a single piece of charcoal supplied. You just need to work out how many pieces of charcoal it creates per charcoal given to the engine, and feed the last one back into the engine. Infini-loop!

Would it? As far as I can see, a dedicated steam or Stirling engine could easily create plenty of charcoal from a single piece of charcoal supplied. You just need to work out how many pieces of charcoal it creates per charcoal given to the engine, and feed the last one back into the engine. Infini-loop!

I thin it's 1/4 ratio so 1 charcoal can create 4 per wood. Not including MFR Harvester and such...

That doesn't sound right - I'm sure it should be more efficient to use a powered furnace than a normal one. An ordinary furnace can create 8 charcoal per one charcoal.

Were you using just wood there? I meant fueling the engines with some of the charcoal you make.

Stirling engines are terrible, you should upgrade to at least steam. And they are well worth the extra resources for an aqueous accumulator. If you are happy with moving pumps around in the nether, and pumping lava to the overwolrd via tesseracts, you will have all the power you need. However, a self sustaining steam engine setup can be made with a steves carts tree farm, some applied energistics, a powered furnace or two and some aqueous accumulators.

Ive not used the mfr biofuel stuff before, but it looks like a good option for endgame power needs.

I guess I could have been more clear.

By endgame, I meant they were an option for making a setup like the steves carts self susaining power supply. Its all about mass production in minecraft these days :D

I guess I'd better jump into a test world and have a play with the mfr power systems.

There's lots of ways to power stuff. You can use TE Steam Engines, Combustion Engines, Magmatic Engines, and lots more. There's MFR too.

IC2 was kinda boring. When you got down to it, there were only 2 viable endgame power sources: Reactors and Solar Arrays. Solar Arrays were OP and weren't hard to make, just tedious. Reactors were fun, though.

But TE and BC2 feels more "Minecraft-y" to me. It just suits Minecraft better. Slightly less mathematics in favor of more practical stuff.

There's lots of ways to power stuff. You can use TE Steam Engines, Combustion Engines, Magmatic Engines, and lots more. There's MFR too.

IC2 was kinda boring. When you got down to it, there were only 2 viable endgame power sources: Reactors and Solar Arrays. Solar Arrays were OP and weren't hard to make, just tedious. Reactors were fun, though.

But TE and BC2 feels more "Minecraft-y" to me. It just suits Minecraft better. Slightly less mathematics in favor of more practical stuff.

Never EVER say Combustion is a form of power, the time it takes to cool down + the VAST amount of water it takes to stay at that 2k range is stupid.

I already said Magmatic can not be supplied efficiently early-mid game.

Stirlins DO NOT give enough power to supply more then 2 mechs.

Steams are working well. They may be my main source of power. Charcoal does in fact burn MUCH longer then Wood, so my infinite power supply is up, power suit is fully charged, and I can't enchant the fucking PowerGauntlet...

If you've got a powersuit, you should've already done power production. (by my standards)

10 Magmatic Engines will produce 40MJ/t, 1 Magma Crucible will require 40MJ/t to run at 100%, put in a Redstone Energy Cell for storage,

and add a few extra Magma Engines and you'll have extra energy produced..

Add too many extra engines, and you'll have to add another crucible to keep up with the engine's lava requirements, so work the balance.

The crucible should be fed with netherrack, which shouldn't be a problem once a quarry is placed in the nether ^_^

Then just connect a hopper to the crucible and have it extract from a chest!

Ok guys. For silly power, do the following.

Planter doing carrots, planter doing potatoes. Harvester on each. ME splits crops between bioreactor and planter. Bioreactor(s) dump into biogenerators. But crops are slow, you need to grow them fast. Get multiple sheep pens. Stick sewers under them with a composter directly touching the sewer so the sewage flows down into composter, no pipes required. Composter gets you industrial fertilizer. Add fertilizer machines to your crop fields. ME moves fertilizer to fertilizer machine. Get more power than you know what do with as the biofuel flows.

Also note you can replace ME with BC pipes if you are being cheap.

You can skip fertilizer and just get huge huge huge plots of crops using upgrades in the machines. MFR machines don't use power unless they do something, they require no power to just sit there, ready to harvest. The only constant power requirement is the ME system. If you went cheap and used BC pipes this system is almost all power addition. It barley costs anything to run and produces huge amounts of biofuel.

EDIT: To give you some idea of how much this is producing, I have 2 fields with the gold upgrades, 17x17, one of carrots, one of potatoes. After processing and all ME costs, I am gaining roughly 1000 MJ per second. I am also producing more biofuel than my generators can handle right now and slightly more crops than my system can handle so the stockpiles of both are slowly increasing. MFR biofuel loop is extremely lucrative in energy.