Modpacks without permissions

Bunkmug

Hello, I'm here to say that modpacks without permissions need to be warned or deleted.

It need to be done because some top modpacks like Aether Super + Pack just put links to the mod pages, but they don't have the permission. Like in that pack I mentioned, it have thaumcraft included, and in the page of this mod there is the packs that have permission (only 3) to include it, and this pack is not there, but in the pack there's just a link to the page of the mod. So, I think something need to be done about that.

• Moderators

Last statement I heard from Technic was: "We are not going to police the internet."

Feel free to tell Azanor if you will. If spending your time guarding precious permissions instead of playing virtual legos is your thing, then I'd say go for it! :3

Please read the last PAINS match and that should help you comprehend why it's fine they don't have the permissions. If your too lazy too let me sum it up: mod copyrights don't mean shit.

Please read the last PAINS match and that should help you comprehend why it's fine they don't have the permissions. If your too lazy too let me sum it up: mod copyrights don't mean shit.

Yes they do, like the aether pack have railcraft included, but it doesn't have any permissions, and in the railcraft wiki it says "

If you fail to get permission, CovertJaguar will use all means available to get your mod pack removed from the Internet."

• Moderators

CovertJaguar will use all means available to get your mod pack removed from the Internet."

Again, if it pleases you, I'd suggest you go tell Covertjaguar about it.

I mean, it's not like he rather wants to play his own game in peace, oh no! He would much rather have dozens of posts telling who and what uses his mod illegally and go hunting for kids in the internet.

Hey buddy, get over it. It isn't the Technic teams job to do it, stop acting like it is.

Also stop acting like CJ doing crap isn't just him being a massive child.

Edit

Should I get the Plus+ page on why modder copy rights are shit?

Funny story: he actually tried to do that to a pack and failed miserably. The courts just dismissed the case as an idiot trying to enforce a copyright that did not exist. Good try but it still stands that in the real world copyrights don't mean shit.

• Moderators

But what if you made a mod and didn't want anyone to redistribute it without your permission.

Easy answer: Don't post it on the internet :3

If you are thinking about theft, then think again. No money is being stolen from anyone. No credit is being stolen from the mod dev (I surely hope not!).

If you have made a precious mod that you and only you want to play with, then you can simply unplug the internet cord and play alone :3

Yeah, but I still think that top packs need to have permissions on every mod included on them.

For what purpose? Make the modpack maker have three day job to get into contact with EVERY modder and bow to their wishes? Why make people do that when it's 100% fine to do it without even listing the mods in the pack? It can be a two hour job to get just the links if you have a sizable modpack.

By doing that you would be crippling the custom pack community. Look at FTB, they have the permission mandate inplace and they have a fraction the good packs we do because it discourages the community. As a modpack maker myself, I say no.

It was deleted because the owner of the pack was hinting at piracy. It had nothing to do with permissions

Hinting? I believe the second line was "We will have a cracked version for non-premium clients up soon!"

Bunkmug: As it stands there are just over 89,250 modpacks registered with Platform. Over the 96 days Platform has been live that averages to ~930 new modpacks a day.

Now, the only way the staff here could possibly be sure that a pack has all permissions would be to contact the mod author for each and every mod. So lets say an average of 30 mods in each pack (many packs have 10-20, but there area lot of 100+ mod huge packs), you're looking at an average of 2790 emails/PMs/forum posts a day to bug the various authors and check the permission status of the pack's permissions.

There's only about 15 mods and admins here and I sure as hell am not going to dedicate all my waking hours to firing off 200 correspondences a day to make sure some 12 year old contacted a mod author properly.

It's not legally needed, it's not worth it, it would alienate the mod authors, and frankly it's not humanly possible since all of us haves lives beyond this website.