Missing Mods/Items (Opinions & Suggestions)

Vas

I've noticed a lot of great mods from Tekkit Classic don't exist here. In fact, the only thing that even makes this version good, is space. Without it, it's basically 40% tekkit, 60% Minecraft, 80% boring.

Items I noticed immediately were gone and made me sad: Redstone Wires. Redstone wires could be placed in angles, on ceilings, on walls, on objects, all sorts of places making it easier to do SO MUCH MORE. Redstone is totally useless after having used redstone wires for a long time in Tekkit Classic. Along with redstone wires was the single block circuits like the special repeater and the Gate blocks. All of this is dearly missed.

Another thing I noticed right away? No solar panels, nuclear power plants, or any other forms of EU generation. Sure, I can deal with MJ. But NO SOLAR PANELS? You can't produce a source of power that runs it's self for weeks on in with the current methods of available power. All of them require constant attention. I'd have to edit the config file to make a lava fabricator take only 1MJ of power so it can power it's self with a lava engine and send more lava to the other lava engines to power my oxygen farm but I don't want to do that cause then I'd have to block anyone else from using lava fabricators. We need solar panels very badly in order to produce perpetual power. Otherwise a self sustaining ecosystem on the moon, kinda not possible.

Tubes. Really need tubes. They are better than pipes in every single way. In fact. Does anyone even use pipes anymore? If you could move items from one chest to another without pipes, would you use that method instead? OF COURSE! Pipes suck! Items pop out, mistakes happen all the time, the system sticks to it's self all the time, sorting requires tons of diamonds and extremely complex systems. It's the biggest mess I've ever encountered. Tubes had a sorting machine and a retrieve machine that could pull items from ANY chest linked to it and all it needed was a bit of power and a timer (oh yea, that's another thing I miss from that redstone wire set).

Those are the top 3 things I can think of, there are other minor things I miss and think should be done but of course some of them need to be said to the makers of the individual mods. Packing the things together in one single tekkit pack was your responsibility and you left out some really great mods. I'd like to ask, why? Why did you leave out everything that made Tekkit fun?

Forcefields! I almost forgot about those...

Duplicator (admin block)! Oh I loved that thing.

Optifine! I need a way to turn off underwater fog & bedrock fog... Cause bedrock fog is just ridiculous.

Energy Condensers! A great way to turn a lot of useless crap like cobble into energy/matter and convert it later! (It was stupid to allow people to create infinite energy boxes using collectors with a glowstone block above them....) If I could simply convert useless items into MJ/EU or something useful, then that'd be great.

As for one of the things I'd like to see, though I'll be forwarding it to the maker of galacticraft, is a different type of oxygen generation.

Basically, oxygen can't be generated until the area has been totally sealed off. Glass blocks and other solid blocks like tin, iron, whatever, must make sure there is no open space for air to escape like out into space. Or a glass dome on the moon for example. No more air being outside the walls where it logically couldn't possibly get to. And if a hole is poked in the wall, air will start to escape as the oxygen generator shuts down until the leak is fixed. Promoting the use of "hard glass" more often.

For reference, Redstone wires and tubes he is mentioning are from redpower, which is not updated yet, as said before in many places, optifine is too buggy to install in any pack now and you;'re more than welcome to do it manually. Condensers have been publically stated to never be included in ee3.

Only fault of the tekkit team was leaving out ic2, which is also currently not officially supporting 1.5, with only a beta.

Move on people, just an uninformed poster who wont research or know what mod does what.

MFFS can be added easily though, his only valid complaint.

Packing the things together in one single tekkit pack was your responsibility and you left out some really great mods. I'd like to ask, why? Why did you leave out everything that made Tekkit fun?

You've got to be shitting me. You spent all that time writing this well organized post but you never bothered to even find out why RP2/IC2 weren't included, which has been posted at least a dozen times on these forums.

And look into Applied Energistics if you need something better than pipes; AE makes RP2 look like the stone age.

I really just want to call this is a troll thread.

Tekkit is going for quality over quantity, feel free to create your own modpack, or go play ftb if you have a problem with the way tekkit is put together, but know that a lot of the mods you listed haven't been updated in a long time. Tekkit classic is still available to play.

I forgot what some of the mod names were so when I searched, I got different results so I couldn't accurately find all information I was looking for. This wasn't meant in any ill manner though some of you responded in a harsh ass like way.

Someone told me some of the mods couldn't be added because they weren't updated, but I didn't find any FAQs mentioning this so I wanted to verify.

IC2 thought was supposedly updated but as one of you said, it's not a stable release. So that question is answered.

I don't like the quanity of crap in my toomanyitems list. I prefer quality as well, which is why my first thought was "Where are tubes" when I got on the first time. Since pipes aren't all that great. I would play Tekkit Classic, if it didn't crash constantly at the slightest glare or movement.

If you guys have answered something a dozen times, maybe you should create an FAQ and sticky it so others have an instant place to find what they are looking for hmm? I typed the incorrect search phrases when looking for info on mods because I forgot the names as it's been a very long time for me. FAQs are the first things I always read when I have questions, then I search the forum, then I post if still not answered. Was my mistake not remembering the name of the mods I was looking for info on.

Threads along these lines might be mitigated by stickying a locked explanation thread or a combined ranting thread about mods people want back.

As for power generation, I've managed to set up some decent systems that are almost entirely untouched by me and can run indefinitely. The only reason they're not fully self sustaining is that I'm still pretty new to using modded minecraft in general. The simpler one would be to set up a jungle tree farm -> charcoal -> steam engine. A more complicated one would be a farm or two with a few crops -> biofuel reactor -> biofuel generator.

And a solution for the pipes requiring tons of diamonds: try using insertion pipes + deep storage units. You can have a row of them and use a single diamond pipe to sort the appropriate things into them, then use insertion pipes at each deep storage unit. If you're worried about overflow, direct it to a few chests just in case. This system can be done over and over again with a single diamond pipe per row, or you can simply have the pipes zig zag through and not use them at all. It's not perfect, but it works well enough for a quarry, where you know what items you're gonna be getting a lot of. The rest go to a chest, which you can sort through when you need materials. Alternately, you can have the ones that are good sort into a chest and the ones that need processing sort into pulverizers, furnaces, etc via insertion pipes, then output back to your chests.

Edit: whoops, sat around for like 30 mins doing other stuff before I realized I was typing an answer, so I didn't notice your post there XD

I doubt a FAQ is going to go up on the loss of IC2 and RP2 because the lack of FAQ makes it easy to spot people too lazy to spend ten seconds with google. You actually don't see a whole lot of FAQs in general around here.

Also, Vas, I suspect you got spoken to harshly not only because you failed to do any research or searching on any topic, but because one of the paragraphs you said in the OP is blatantly false and has been covered in great detail in multiple other threads on here.

You did no research at all, you read nothing, you didn't check for any information. Everyone around here who did spend at least ten seconds on google and already had the answers to your problems, they can't help but see your post as pure lazy.

Despite all that, if you really want a detailed response to the lack of effort that is your OP, I will be happy to oblige:

Redstone wires, along with all of RedPower2 are out of tekkit. The mod author updates very very very slowly and codes her mod in a such a way that it is unfriendly to other modders. However, nearly the full functionality of RP2 has been replaced by other mods currently in tekkit. See rednet for the redwire replacement. It also has a programmable rednet controller block that replaces all the timers and such. The only item not replaced are frames, which were one of the biggest coding offenders to other modders. There is a frame replacement being created elsewhere though.

EU power is all from IC2, which is out. Hasn't been updated in over 6 months. A few random modders have fixed it to work in 1.5+ but with the actual IC2 author missing, IC2 is dead and it won't be long before it completely falls apart. If it will have to be removed soon, then you want it out now. Tekkit is focused on long term server stability, and having to cut major mods is not conductive to long term stability. When you get a chance to cut a dying mod, you take it. Also, for infinite power generation, look into biofuel and farms. Actually, biofuel was possible in old tekkit IIRC, so I guess you didn't know the old pack very well either....

Tubes, I assume you mean RP2 tubes and not logisitic pipes, are part of RP2 and thus, gone. But, like I already said, all thing are replaced. Try the ME network from applied energetics. It is amazing. It completely blows away all other sorting and storage systems.

Forcefields are part of the Universal Electricity family, which is in the Voltz pack. Forcefields are not in tekkit for the same reason voltz is still separate completely. Voltz is being updated quickly and undergoes large changes frequently. This is bad for long term server stability. Seriously, forcefields seem to undergo a complete overhaul every month or so.

Duplicator....Try NEI?

Optifine is buggy as an ant farm so I hear. I like my games not crashed, although that is just a personal preference.

Energy Condensers are part of EE2 which is no longer being updated and is not compatible with 1.5+. Instead we get EE3 which will not include energy condensers.

Galaticraft is already aware of the sillyness that is oxygen, and is working on it, as they are still working on a lot of their mod. It is no where near complete.

So basically, three of the things you requested are actually impossible(redstone wire, tubes, energy condensers), two would be a horrible idea(IC2, optifine), one is just a bad idea(forcefields), and one is so obvious I would question the sanity of anyone who didn't notice the issue(galaticraft's oxygen).

Your post is well written, but other than that I can see no effort at all in it. You couldn't even be bothered to look up the names of the mods you were talking about, as you point out.

We understand that it wasn't meant in an ill manner, but if you can't even be bothered to figure out the name of the mod you are talking about, to even spend 10 seconds with google, to even look at the first page of threads(one of them is about the missing mods you are asking about) then you can expect people to scoff at you a bit. I don't intend to be mean with this, just get yourself informed.

-snip-

He's going to keep polluting any forum he can get with this drivel. I have in private NUMEROUSLY told him everything you have told him, but he ignores it and comes to here to spew his uninformed ideas. It really isnt worth it to explain this stuff to him. He refuses to learn what each mod does. He takes any form of criticism or being called out on something a personal attack. He is a AAA drama queen who needs to be paid no attention.

That's fine, some other lurker around here might read all of that and thus not need to post another silly thread about rp2/ic2/ee2. I don't mind explaining stuff just out to the general audience in case it helps someone.

Cerevox, you have probably been the most helpful in explaining things.

My mind works differently than most people, and I have trouble planning and finding things. Sometimes I just dunno what to do and others I don't know where to start. My searching skill aren't all that great, while the rest of you may know great ways to find your information, I seem to have crummy ways that often lead no where. I have blocked Drakal since all he cares about is trolling me now.

NEI is a way to spawn items yes. But it doesn't let me stick a block down that pumps new items into a pipe every time a redstone signal is applied. Making an infinite item producer.

Forcefields? Yea. I noticed their last major overhall, it made me sad. I liked the nice basic forcefield from Tekkit Classic then I tried a different version of the forcefield and it was insanely complex and no longer infinite fueled (solar panel + MFSU). If they are just going to change it dramatically every few months, then it is a bad idea. It wasn't really all that important to me anyway. I just thought it was a great way to make bridges with the click of a button and put up defensive walls to keep greifers out of your place.

I liked Optifine only for the ability to clear water and delete bedrock fog. Is there another mod coming out that can do this? Mostly I just want bedrock fog gone, it's way way to thick when you get down to the lowest levels of the planet. So thick, you can't even tell if you have a light on the wall 3 feet away.

Tubes? Yea, I'll look into the ME network, I just hate having to learn new systems, as it takes a lot to learn any new systems and is a bit frustrating. I found liquiducts and some redstone conduit and they are rather nice.

I never used bio farms in the old tekkit because I had solar panels which were easy infinite energy production and I could even turn it into infinite MJ production with the simple attachment of an energy link. A great way to make compact energy systems when I didn't want to build a massive underground area to produce large amounts of power.

Redstone wires; I didn't know frames were part of the same mod. huh. Well I'll look into rednet as soon as I am able. Hopefully it won't be to complex.

I noticed the oxygen system I wanted is actually in Galacticraft, though it doesn't work. The room will say sealed but it won't be breathe-able.

Ah well, I suppose it'll be fixed soon hopefully. I'll keep integrating sealers into my moon base and swap it all over to the sealers once they are fixed. Would be nice if there was a sealed conduit I could put in the wall to forward power around with. Does any type of battery exist in the tekkit mod? I haven't seen any. There are a lot of references to batteries in the wiki related to galacticraft and there are no batteries. I'm guessing that's also a part of UE and not in there.

As far as searching, you just go to google and type in some names or descriptions or related anything. Google is pretty good at figuring out what you meant.

I think infinite spawner blocks like that are mostly gone because vanilla has command blocks that can replace them.

Optifine is actively being cleaned up, it just hasn't reached a level of stability where you want it in your game quite yet.

Rednet cable is just as simple as redstone alloy wire. It functions nearly identically to it if all you use is regular stuff like buttons and levers and such. It can be much much much more complex if you dig into it, but it doesn't have to be. Rednet cable is like redstone alloy wire and bundled cables all in one.

One of the things people are trying to get away from is the infinite easy power generation of solar panels. Most of the currently active mods avoid those sorts of things. Solar panels will eventually be in, but they will not be the IC2 kind that provided infinite power. This is the same reason energy condensers and solar collectors are out of EE3, because many people thought they were just too powerful and the mod authors agreed and pulled them. There are plenty of ways to generate power in an infinite loop, they just require a few more steps.

Batteries is the one big area where we are suffering right now. There are redstone energy storage cubes which are great, but no real other way to store power.

Why is solar energy infinite power so bad? Sure. 512EU/t panels were a bit powerful. Maybe even MV solar panels since you can't actually get a solar panel in the real world that powerful (yet). But if you built a whole farm of solar panels on a space as vast as the moon, you could produce a heck of a lot of energy to store in batteries and use when there is no sunlight.

An idea related to this I just had while typing, is storage degeneration. Batteries die over time. So if I had solar panels linked to an MFSU, after so much juice was drained and added, it would decay and stop working and you'd need to replace it. To be quite technical, solar panels will only work for the next billion or so years, so it's not infinite, it's just infinite enough for us. :P If Nasa were to build a space station or a moon base, you can bet they'd likely be using solar panels for a while as power production and have a large load of backup batteries in case some die. I think even the moon rover was solar powered. People underestimate the power of a solar panel in space because they forget it takes less power to move most things built for space.

Solar panels were removed for a variety of reasons. The biggest one is that the mod itself is dead. No other mods picked them up because they became the goal of the game. With HV solars in the game, the end-game for all players to make an HV solar factory. There are numerous threads going into great detail in this forum on why that is bad. I don't think it needs repeating once more.

The main reason was that IC2 is lagging in development, slowing releases of Tekkit. The secondary reason is that some people were bored with the tech tree and wanted a different one. Prettymuch all of the 'balance' or 'everyone did it X way' or 'too much energy' complaints are just rationalizations. Nothing wrong with wanting to change it up, but let's call it what it is - there's nothing actually wrong with the way it was, a lot of people were just tired of it.

Solar panels were removed for a variety of reasons. The biggest one is that the mod itself is dead. No other mods picked them up because they became the goal of the game. With HV solars in the game, the end-game for all players to make an HV solar factory. There are numerous threads going into great detail in this forum on why that is bad. I don't think it needs repeating once more.

That's why I mentioned battery decay, or even solar panel decay. But then it'd defeat the purpose of a self sufficient moon base I suppose. Anyhow. I think we can let this topic go down. I may start another one at some point as there's some things I found in tekkit that don't seem to have any purpose or I can't figure out what they really do.

The main reason was that IC2 is lagging in development, slowing releases of Tekkit. The secondary reason is that some people were bored with the tech tree and wanted a different one. Prettymuch all of the 'balance' or 'everyone did it X way' or 'too much energy' complaints are just rationalizations. Nothing wrong with wanting to change it up, but let's call it what it is - there's nothing actually wrong with the way it was, a lot of people were just tired of it.

Yea, I don't see anything wrong with a solar panel farm being infinite source of energy. I mean it still requires batteries and all. And MV/HV solar arrays were rather powerful so maybe disable both of those and people might look into nuclear power instead.

Hah, adding antimater generators to the game. That'd be awesome. Of course 10 times more devastating than a power plant max explosion.

I am kinda sad I didn't get a chance to muck with nuclear power before switching to tekkit main and I'd love to see an option along those lines in the pack in the future. Interesting and somewhat complicated stuff to tweak and get just right is what I love about Tekkit.

Anyhow. I think we can let this topic go down. I may start another one at some point as there's some things I found in tekkit that don't seem to have any purpose or I can't figure out what they really do.

Please do! There are so many things in here that I'm very sure I haven't seen a bunch of them. Your questions might be able to show me a solution to a problem I didn't know I had ^_^

I am kinda sad I didn't get a chance to muck with nuclear power before switching to tekkit main and I'd love to see an option along those lines in the pack in the future. Interesting and somewhat complicated stuff to tweak and get just right is what I love about Tekkit.

Please do! There are so many things in here that I'm very sure I haven't seen a bunch of them. Your questions might be able to show me a solution to a problem I didn't know I had ^_^

There is a mod currently being developed, called Big Reactors, that has some pretty awesome multiblock reactors (you can make them variable size and they even show things like visible control rods, this is opposed to IC2's rectors just being a GUI full of items). From what the author of the mod has been talking about, it will blow IC2 reactors out of the water. To quote him, some of things you can look forward to will be:

"More fuel = more produced radiation, because you have more fissile material.

More absorbed radiation = yet more produced radiation, because incident radiation makes more fission happen.

More produced radiation = more heat & power generated, because e=mc2.

More heat = more energetic radiation, because that's what heat really means.

More energetic radiation = less absorbed radiation, because faster/hotter radiation tends to propagate without hitting other atoms.

Coolants produce energy more efficiently than radiation, and also moderate energetic radiation so it can be absorbed again, so figuring out what arrangement of coolant and fuel rods to use is the big design question.

This gives you a couple different factors to play with when optimizing your designs, while also allowing people who want to make simple designs to have fun without going all nerdsperg on my math. If you just make a bunch of fuel rods and toss in fuel, you'll get a decent power return for a decently long period of time. If you sperg out building a certain design and use the control rods to keep temperatures in check, you'll get a lot more efficiency and possibly higher power generation."

Though the mod has temp developer art, what he's posted of so far looks pretty kick ass as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets picked up by Tekkit when it is released.