I need a power source for a moon base.

Aksava

I was thinking of biofuel , but would a bio fuel farm be useable on the moon? if i use oxygen bubble makers to give air around the tree area? or would they still fail?

im seeking a renewable power source i can use to power my machines on the moon.

As stated, an energy tesseract is what you need. The default energy cost to use is quite high (25%) - though I consider it fair - but can be changed in one of the cofh config files if you so feel inclined. Also, phased conductive pipes will transfer power, but those are currently not working.

The line to change in the \config\cofh\ThermalExpansion.cfg file:

I:EnergyFramework.Tesseract.Loss=25

i play on a server with a friend who myself and him made a faction. we are seeking a means to sustain ourselves on the moon to have a renewable power source without the hassle of having to manage it. so we can work on other techs.

Well, you basically have two options: biofuel or lava.

Biofuel is completely renewable, and while I've never set up a generator before, automating a few MineFactory Reloaded machines is basically all you need to do. The cost of time to implement is relatively high what with all the stations that need to be set up, but it's fairly cheap resource wise and a biofuel generator produces about 4x the energy a magmatic engine does per tick, but less overall (pretty sure that's how it works); the major downside is, of course, the lack of oxygen and the need to build facilities accordingly.

Thermal energy is for all purposes here, an infinite source. Essentially all you need is a pump, an ender tank or a liquid tesseract to move the lava from the Nether to the moon, and a chunk loader to keep everything working. Once the lava arrives at the moon it can be fed into a series of magmatic engines, each engine can be fed into conduits, and those finally lead to energy cells for storage. Magmatic engines will stop working if they don't have anything to output power to, but if they are attached to energy conduits then they shouldn't ever break. The major drawback is the fact that another dimension is required, along with constantly loaded chunks. Also invar ain't cheap.

• Discord Moderator

Yes, the default Tesseract energy loss is a brutally punishing 25%. Phased pipes lose 5% (when they work) and suck in an extreme way compared to Tesseracts. Changing Tesseract loss down to at most 10%, and preferrably 5% to match phased pipes to discourage their use, is prudent.

biofuel reactors and generators arent working.. on the moon.

This might well be intentional. I guess your options are now either magmatic engines or pumping power in from the overworld.

I should mention that there's nothing stopping you from using combustion or steam engines, but babysitting most likely will be required with those.

As is says lol.

I know its on a space station, but still, the mechanics are the same as on the moon. Its in this episode,

Just skip through it and you will get the idea.

I watch your series, Its awesome! thanks to you and your Bio fuel Factory I've been able to expand very quickly and have a lot of substantial power to run many machines with :D

Or you could, you know, engineer your tree farm with water sources included so it will continue to function even after your exploit gets fixed.

Very true, but its not a difficult task to add in a few source blocks. And Im pretty sure the saplings collected would still be plain vanilla saplings anyway. Its a lot to expect the maker of mfr to code the machines to behave differently between dimensions/planets etc, so adding water source blocks just so you could plant the first lot of saplings seems somewhat pointless?

Very true, but its not a difficult task to add in a few source blocks. And Im pretty sure the saplings collected would still be plain vanilla saplings anyway. Its a lot to expect the maker of mfr to code the machines to behave differently between dimensions/planets etc, so adding water source blocks just so you could plant the first lot of saplings seems somewhat pointless?

There are a lot of ways the GC creator could fix the exploit without touching MFR. Make it so all trees/leaves drop space saplings instead of regular saplings if they're in an uninhabitable dimension, or maybe just somehow change sapling growth rules directly based on the dimension. I dunno, all I'm saying is it could predictably behave differently in the future so don't get attached to your old tricks.