A few problems with the platform

FatsackTony

Hi,

This thread is here to list a few problems, incoveniences and or bugs I've noticed with the platform, and I will update the OP with any other problems you guys have as well.

1. The spot on the website "edit modpack" page where you post the download link does not accept urls from certain hosting sites, limiting the number of reliable ways of modpack authors to share their modpack. (sites such as ge.tt, google drive, etc.)

2. The platform forcing an update of the modpack whenever the link location changes, forcing our players to update, and if they choose not to update, it loads VANILLA not the previous un-updated version of the pack. This limits mod authors to a certain sized pool of patrons no matter how many times we re-host the SAME modpack anywhere, disrupts players saved games and worlds, and can generally just be done away with. The band-aid solution to this has been hosting links to manual installation files, which negates the whole purpose of the platform, and detracts from it's popularity.

3. Difference in framerate and lag between mojang launcher and technic platform using identical modpacks. The technic launcher lags the game more with the latest update of the launcher

• Moderators

3. Difference in framerate and lag between mojang launcher and technic platform using identical modpacks. The technic launcher lags the game more with the latest update of the launcher

Any reliable research/ asking other players before jumping to such conclusions?

I did have lag when I tested the latest Tekkit modpack, but I blame my poor underpowered laptop for that.

2. The platform forcing an update of the modpack whenever the link location changes, forcing our players to update, and if they choose not to update, it loads VANILLA not the previous un-updated version of the pack. This limits mod authors to a certain sized pool of patrons no matter how many times we re-host the SAME modpack anywhere, disrupts players saved games and worlds, and can generally just be done away with. The band-aid solution to this has been hosting links to manual installation files, which negates the whole purpose of the platform, and detracts from it's popularity.

...what.

Why would an exact same version of the pack break worlds? That has nothing to do with platform.

2:

i have the exact same problem , i launch the (custom) modpack that i have and it asks to update even if there IS NO UPDATE !! (i know cause some of the modpacks are my own) so accepting the update resets the whole modpack , and not accepting it , launchs vanilla minecraft ( since you didn't accept, the files from your last stuff is still present in ".technic" , but it doesn't even read them )

@Xicor jup i've got the exact same problem, i made a modpack for fun so i could play it with friends. pretty annoying i can't annymore after all the work. it's a bit strange that my friends still can play my mod-pack. pls solve this

@Munaus

Yes, I did do research, in fact my own experiment. Every variable was controlled except for the launcher I played it through, my computer, my modpack (exact copy of all files), same graphical and ram settings, and the lag was extremely present and noticeable through the technic launcher, and non-existant through the normal mojang minecraft launcher.

You guys do realize what the Platform is right? It's just a modpack index with some tools to make things easier. It doesn't take modpacks and run them through some kind of magic Platform filter that makes them run worse for some reason. It is just a way to make downloading and running the packs easier. You having problems with a modpack isn't you having a problem with the Platform. It is you having a problem with a modpack. Stop blaming every issue you encounter on something completely unrelated without actually understanding or looking into anything.

Modpack no werk, THANKS OBAMA!!!!

@Munaus

Yes, I did do research, in fact my own experiment. Every variable was controlled except for the launcher I played it through, my computer, my modpack (exact copy of all files), same graphical and ram settings, and the lag was extremely present and noticeable through the technic launcher, and non-existant through the normal mojang minecraft launcher.

You know both of those things just launch minecraft right? They aren't chugging in the background lifting weights. Once the game starts, the launchers close. The only difference is your settings. Perhaps you're just running the Technic launcher without picking your preferred amount of RAM? 2 GB is the standard amount. Also hitting "increase permgen size" should help. The technic launcher is, overall, way better when you dig around in the code.

The RAM used in both cases was the same, 2 GB. As I said, I controlled for all possible variables I know of, besides what launcher launched them. And the other problems I posted are launcher/platform problems.

I am unaware of what this increase permgen size is. What does it actually do?

And this OP was meant as feedback for the Platform crew who I am sure appreciate being made aware of ways they can increase the convienence and utility of their product.

1. That would be because google direct file links look like this

https://doc-0k-38-docsviewer.googleusercontent.com/viewer/securedownload/tcusmdph8ulvbkhonns1ug5ge8fd2t0f/gr1d8ruajo4lcos94ik5i9j4gljrgv83/1369697400000/ZXhwbG9yZXI=/AGZ5hq9w9xX47-Lyd-jWjkhYHuSH/MEI5X3E3ejNlUVd0WVIwUllSelpTYVhaaWEwMA==?sec=AHSqidYcFGJIoeVmaZj3kmTaYi-Sh4X289wS3e-Y6A8ZhQqyKN2SBWDSlzneFs6yRFVES0GN1dES&a=dl&filename=assemblyline-0.3.5.116.zip&rel=zip;z2;AssemblyLine_v0.3.5.116.jar&nonce=gfiuhncdvohno&user=AGZ5hq9w9xX47-Lyd-jWjkhYHuSH&hash=9m9poeelm7vhi7sjpefa84bobnp85snq

Therefore is not recognised as a direct file link such as this

http://files.mysite.com/modpack.zip

Can't say for ge.tt as I'm not about to register to find out but I'd guess same issue

And seriously, they have a javascript counter for files hosted, easy to spot, really sad

2. Well then, might I recommend Solder, the only way for the Platform to recognise multiple versions? Or perhaps, get your users to update when you update your pack? Or even don't give them updates so their worlds and saves don't break?

If you change the pack then the client will see that and act accordingly by preparing the client to update, none of it's existing files can be validated by md5 because it runs that off of the zip the platform provides for non-solder packs (Solder provides the md5 for solder packs) and if you refuse the update the result is it runs off of the files it has, namely the minecraft.jar

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would assume that the launcher adds the modpack.jar to the minecraft.jar then runs the minecraft.jar, so this is more the problem of the pack author than any fault of the team

I run a private pack via solder, this allows me to have multiple versions as in my first update I had to remove half a dozen mods that were causing a major performance hit in SMP

Everyone stayed on 1.0.0 until I had 1.0.1 ready as I left 1.0.0 as recommended while I ran on latest

3. Red = Admin = The people that work the pack and platform

And as Cheap has said (and I have tested this myself)

The launcher closes, it ceases to run, it does not compute any longer

Therefore at that point I am running Minecraft

Of course if you want to tell me that my sandboxer, firewall, task manager and every overlay and wrapper that I have is wrong because there is a performance hit on one machine then I shall bow to your superior evidence

P.S I ran this on 12 machines, 11 of which are volunteers from my community with varying specs

Any reliable research/ asking other players before jumping to such conclusions?

I did have lag when I tested the latest Tekkit modpack, but I blame my poor underpowered laptop for that.

I found that on my mac, the normal launcher runs 80-100 fps and then only goes 17-50 fps. When my computer drops to 17 fps I get a jello feeling with my mouse when I try to move. This can be remedied by going full screen and the fps drops go away. The game was not playable when I only had 1gb of ram allocated but fullscreen still worked for some reason. I also had my mac's intel graphics card on and switched to my 500mb one and did not notice fullscreen fps change much.