Moon bases and Space stations are useless now because

Spoonman

There is no way to keep a stable oxygen supply because leaves just disappear and you have to replant and replant. You can setup a oxygen compressor up in your base and keep refilling your oxygen tank but who wants to be refilling every 15 minutes. I want to be working and not worrying about my oxygen tanks. BTW it's a stupid idea that we have to plant trees in space to create oxygen. May i suggest something:

1. if you want plants to be the main source of oxygen then allow us to setup small green houses in space, not trees they are too big and bulky. have you seen the movie mars?

2. Develop a machine that can create oxygen that runs on bio fuels or Lava.

3. Maybe allow us to transport oxygen from the over world to space.

I really hope they come out with updates soon. As it stands right now the new Tekkit got really boring with after i got to space. i cant build a nice moon base because of the oxygen thing. I really don't want to waste my time building stuff if they are not going to fix things.

Wow you mean you can't grow trees in the vacuum of space? How unrealistic.

Now with my tongue OUT of my cheek, the way to generate oxygen in space is through electrolytically separating water molecules. And storing the gases. Hydrogen to Hydrogen (for fuel), Oxygen to Oxygen (for air, but of course you actually need nitrogen too, in fact about 70% nitrogen 30% oxygen to survive, you'd need to boil barium and capture the free nitrogen gas from the boil and yeah we don't have any barium..just water.)

So we need an electrolyzer, and an aqueous accumulator..and a way to keep water from boiling off into a vacuum....and something to get Nitrogen from. Then a gas storage and compression system. Hrrm....

Wow you mean you can't grow trees in the vacuum of space? How unrealistic.

Now with my tongue OUT of my cheek, the way to generate oxygen in space is through electrolytically separating water molecules. And storing the gases. Hydrogen to Hydrogen (for fuel), Oxygen to Oxygen (for air, but of course you actually need nitrogen too, in fact about 70% nitrogen 30% oxygen to survive, you'd need to boil barium and capture the free nitrogen gas from the boil and yeah we don't have any barium..just water.)

So we need an electrolyzer, and an aqueous accumulator..and a way to keep water from boiling off into a vacuum....and something to get Nitrogen from. Then a gas storage and compression system. Hrrm....

We could also add the high damage of outer space radiation, the bone density loss due to the lack of gravity, the basics of using aluminum and plastic intead of the heavier invar/lead to a space mission. And of course, the use of the electrolyzer previously mentioned to fuel the rocket instead of using petrol ¬¬.

On the other hand, we could play KSP instead xd.

Most of the mods in the new tekkit require time and patience to be tunned up and polished. Space is meant to be challenging but as the current state of the mod is quite impractical (or you have to be an amazing fast builder to set up everything quickly and without resorting to dimensional doors or dozens of oxigen cannisters). Just be patient and let de modder do his work knowing your support :P.

Preferentially I'd like to see something out of Galacticraft that actually takes radiation exposure and reduction into account. I think its a great mod and its inclusion with a Tekkit modpack set really gives some more directions to go in in a modpacked Minecraft experience.

I'm not really bagging the developer as much as I'm saying that I'd love to see more of the technical challenges actually introduced other than just making airlocks and oxygen sealing actually work. Space should be a difficult endeavor, it should require inordinate amounts of resources to achieve and manage efficiently and it should require a lot of extraneous technical engineering to survive in.

I'm all for having to condense water, electrolyze it, combine the gases...I mean I'll take the full nine really. I hope that Micdoodle actually achieves it all eventually.

what we have to keep in mind with all the idea's about making the moon harder to live on witch i am all for is that he is working on the other planets witch will from what i have scene be a lot harder i think the moon is going to be a sort of test or base of operations for all the other planets.

Preferentially I'd like to see something out of Galacticraft that actually takes radiation exposure and reduction into account.

Atomic Science, which people have suggested should be added to Tekkit, handles nuclear reactor radiation and has HAZMAT gear. Could be interesting to see the mechanic transferred over.

At the same time you're going to want some sort of payoff for all that difficulty and resource expenditure. It'd be easy to have a single dangerous ore-rich planet but you'd need some sort of variety for the rest.

Well, it's quite clear that you have put no thought into this what-so-ever.

I have two words for you... MineFactory Reloaded!

Now use your brain and work it out.

I have tried harvesters they don't work, they shed the leaves even if you set it not to. Now can you use your brain and come up with good suggestions for the developers instead of just wasting space here?

I have tried harvesters they don't work, they shed the leaves even if you set it not to. Now can you use your brain and come up with good suggestions for the developers instead of just wasting space here?

Watson has a point. Harvesters and Planters, if used correctly can resolve this issue. You obviously don't want them running all the time, only when the trees leaves have been depleted. I don't know how long it takes the leaves to decay when the Oxygen Collector is running, but lets just say it takes 10 minutes. You need to program the Harvester to run every 10 minutes to clear the logs, so the Planter can plant new saplings, then the fertilizer can insta-grow them. It will take more than just MFR for the solution, as there isn't an interface on the Harvester directly to delay harvests every 10 minutes, but get creative I'm sure you'll figure something out.

Honestly, this is why I LIKE the new Tekkit. Instead of fire and forget systems, you have to use multiple mods to accomplish something. AE + TE owns me at the moment, but it sounds like ComputerCraft + MFR + Galacticraft will serve here.

BTW Spoonman, this isn't a place to make suggestions for the developers. Go to the source of the mod, not the team that packages all the mods together, with your criticism or suggestions.

actually if you set up a large enough tree farm, with a single harvester you will almost always have some trees up and it takes time to harvest them all, it's not without problems but it does work pretty well. I'm sure also someone could come up with a computer craft program that will just harvest all the trees after 10 minutes, but the bigger issue is you will need multiple harvesters with offset harvesting patterns to make sure you always have trees up producing oxygen, that could get real expensive real fast depending on the size of the base/station.

dont know if its much help but.

http://imgur.com/a/kHnZm#0

Is my base skip to the tree Farm photo's and the bio tanks. its grate way to make fuel and Oxygen as i have now put oxygen collectors all the way around the farm it gives you more then you could need during the day. but at night it tends to slow down a little but flood lights do stop this a little bit.

I am really just waiting now for the Sealer's and some sort of way of Pumping air into my base with out having the bubbles stick out the wall's,

if you would like i can show some up dated photo's with the under side of it all so you can see how it all works, as well the new oxygen system.

• 1 year later...

​I've been making a system the uses oxygen Decompressors, item pipes, redstone engines, etc.... so far, it has been working amazingly. Pipes connected to a chest containing full oxygen tanks extracts and keeps them moving in a circuit, and when needed, move into the decompressor, which is piped out to a oxygen storage module, then to a sealer. Another set of  item pipes are connected to the top of the decompressor that lead to another chest for pickup and refilling. you just have to remember to refill the tanks and place in the first chest and they'll be cycled back into the system.