Nettwork OP

Iths

Those are crazy numbers! That download speed is getting close to what I get inside my LAN.

My results aren't nearly as good :(

1874865059.png

Did you run this from work or something? I don't know of any consumer grade connections offered that are anywhere near this.

Did you run this from work or something? I don't know of any consumer grade connections offered that are anywhere near this.

Are you basing those numbers on American ISPs? Iths's ISP is from Norway. Other parts of the world actually get very good speed. A Friend of mine from Norway has a 50mb/s connection, I believe.

Way to rub your crazy-ass connection speed in our faces...

I feel like I'm living in the stone age now.

Nope, just not in Norway.

Are you basing those numbers on American ISPs? Iths's ISP is from Norway. Other parts of the world actually get very good speed. A Friend of mine from Norway has a 50mb/s connection, I believe.

North American ISPs are pretty much the worst in the developed world. Compare connections anywhere else in the world, and it's not unusual to see people with mid-tier connections in europe having two to three times the speed as someone with a high-tier connection in the United States.

North American ISPs are pretty much the worst in the developed world. Compare connections anywhere else in the world, and it's not unusual to see people with mid-tier connections in europe having two to three times the speed as someone with a high-tier connection in the United States.

Yeah. Their are a few high-speed ones in the States, but they are only in certain areas and require you pay out the wazoo for them or be a corporate entity. I remember thinking 25 mb/s was like the highest you could go since that was the "Super duper mega fast ultra fantastic premium service pack" for most ISPs here. Then I learn their or 100mb/s connections out there and that is not even the max or a "top secret corporate only" tier.

Yeah. Their are a few high-speed ones in the States, but they are only in certain areas and require you pay out the wazoo for them or be a corporate entity. I remember thinking 25 mb/s was like the highest you could go since that was the "Super duper mega fast ultra fantastic premium service pack" for most ISPs here. Then I learn their or 100mb/s connections out there and that is not even the max or a "top secret corporate only" tier.

Yeah, I'm going to be moving to FiOS pretty soon, spending almost a hundred a month on a 75Mb connection. I have a cousin in london who heard that and practically crapped himself.

I am located in the north-western United States. I've only seen speeds like Iths is getting on a business line.

Since my ISP (Comcast) has a monthly cap of 250 Gigs, faster isn't always better. I already had to shut our connection off a couple times since certain people in the house don't know how to moderate their usage despite repeated explanations of how to do it and why.

I am located in the north-western United States. I've only seen speeds like Iths is getting on a business line.

Since my ISP (Comcast) has a monthly cap of 250 Gigs,

Get out while you can. Comcast is lowering the bandwidth caps by ridiculous amounts, and not telling anyone. 4 months ago, the bandwidth cap was 500 gigs.

Don't worry too much about it though, i game on steam, and have multiple computers, as well as three users who stream netflix. We always clock in 600-800 gigs a month.

Get out while you can. Comcast is lowering the bandwidth caps by ridiculous amounts, and not telling anyone. 4 months ago, the bandwidth cap was 500 gigs.

Are you sure? Their website listed the cap as 250Gig since at least four or so years ago and has the few times I have checked since then. I first checked it about four years ago when I found out that there was a cap.

Also, there are only two ISPs that we can get at my house, Comcast or Centurylink.

Comcast costs more and has a cap but Centurylink kept charging us for stuff that wasn't ours and for the first two months our connection quality was terrible.

1876781687.png

I win.

And you know the really annoying thing? My mother refuses to switch to a different provider because she likes the ISP we have now. We can't switch to most other providers because the problem is with our house's cabling.

The one we can switch to has just upgraded the local switch box to give minimum of 15Mbps, with an upper limit of 40Mbps. The package I want to switch to is only £5/month more expensive, and is uncapped. They also claim that they will upgrade the cables to our house for free. In fact, it may even be cheaper because we'd be putting all of our communication stuff with one provider. And yes, while BT apparently doesn't have the best customer support, it's probably better than

"I don't know what the problem is, sir. Try talking to our sales team."

"I don't know what the problem is, sir. Try speaking to our tech support team."

"I don't know what the problem is, sir. Try talking to our sales team."

"I don't know what the problem is, sir. Try speaking to our tech support team."

We can't switch to most other providers because the problem is with our house's cabling.

They also claim that they will upgrade the cables to our house for free.

They say they will do this and your mother won't even consider it? See if you can get a cost estimate for paying someone to redo the cabling. If you can clearly show that it is better to switch maybe she will cave.

Maybe you should show her how to stream movies and tell her that for only another five pounds a month she could watch an UNLIMITED amount of movies.

Or you could tell her that the old wiring is in danger of shorting out and killing you both in a hellish firestorm. That might do it too.

EDIT: I just realized that you said TO the house not IN the house for the free wiring upgrade. The hellish firestorm thing could still work but now you can work lightning strikes into the story too or birdcrap, that stuff took out a gas station near my grandparents.

You could say the wires could fall down and a spark could ignite the natural gas lines to you house. She could be responsible for the entire neighborhood exploding!

Are you sure? Their website listed the cap as 250Gig since at least four or so years ago and has the few times I have checked since then. I first checked it about four years ago when I found out that there was a cap.

Also, there are only two ISPs that we can get at my house, Comcast or Centurylink.

Comcast costs more and has a cap but Centurylink kept charging us for stuff that wasn't ours and for the first two months our connection quality was terrible.

I'm positive.I've been with comcast for about a year and have kept track of my bandwidth in relation to the cap

I'm positive.I've been with comcast for about a year and have kept track of my bandwidth in relation to the cap

I'm on Comcast too (when i'm not on campus... i forget the campus provider). Went like 7gigs over the limit one month last year. It was because I was torrenting lots of Linux distros (and some grey area stuff I will not discuss here. Can't torrent on campus because of pirates arrrrrrrgh). Other then that managed to remain under that cap. But the cap is annoying. My phone is getting a 2.5gb cap this month which kind of ticks me off... I mean those are hard to break unless you use it a lot, but I'm still not a fan of data caps. I don't doubt Comcast might be lying about when the cap was instituted, I don't think the have the good of a rep for being completely honest.

I'm on Comcast too (when i'm not on campus... i forget the campus provider). Went like 7gigs over the limit one month last year. It was because I was torrenting lots of Linux distros (and some grey area stuff I will not discuss here. Can't torrent on campus because of pirates arrrrrrrgh). Other then that managed to remain under that cap. But the cap is annoying. My phone is getting a 2.5gb cap this month which kind of ticks me off... I mean those are hard to break unless you use it a lot, but I'm still not a fan of data caps. I don't doubt Comcast might be lying about when the cap was instituted, I don't think the have the good of a rep for being completely honest.

Well, I have multiple PCs, and i use steam, so i usually end up downloading a dozen games once a month or so, on top of the the whole household sharing a netflix account.

I would have to do one of these checks again when I get home.

Here's the connection I get at school:

1886219445.png

Anyway, I get DSL and it serves me pretty well. I need to check who our provider is, but it works fine. Unless if you want to download a game through Steam, in which case I have only around 400 kb/s on a good day.

Dayum, that's pretty fast. Too bad they put blockers on the good stuff.

And here's my home network's test:

1886867860.png

i got a pretty good down speed, and a cruddy up speed.

1894885957.png

my Ping in most games is terrible, and this speedtest is from a wi-fi connected computer.

EDIT: faster than 56% of the US, not bad. IDK why my ping was so good here, normally it is really bad.

Here is a result from pingtest.net:

60942657.png

my house is wired for fiber-optic cables. might be part of the reason.

10 GB games on steam take around 2 hours for me to download at 1/mbps with frequent jumps, and i torrent files at about 1/mbps, with occasional drops.

I am going to post the results from my school, probably will be terrible, pages take 5 seconds to load in chrome *barf*.