[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

Is there any frame engines that work the way the RedPower ones did.

As in, the engine pushed the frames without actually moving it self.

From what I have seem. The engine stays on the frames and moves with it.

To replicate Redpower behaviour, combine Carriage Motor with Frame Carriage. Closing the sides of the carriage with the screwdriver or omniwrench is equivalent to placing covers.

I just browsed the (sadly, tiny) RIM thread on MCF, and found this:

When I place wireless transmitters or receivers from wireless redstone CBE or multi blocks from forge multiparts on frames and move them they just disappear without dropping items, I am guessing it is a problem with CB's mods but I am not sure

Whaddya think?

I just browsed the (sadly, tiny) RIM thread on MCF, and found this:

Whaddya think?

That's been reported here, too. Everything using the multiblock system is going to break, because my code completely bypasses all Minecraft functions and does everything itself, and my code was written before the multiblock system existed.

I'll have to add explicit support for multiblocks in the future, and in the mean time, all multiblocks should simply disappear when moved.

That's been reported here, too. Everything using the multiblock system is going to break, because my code completely bypasses all Minecraft functions and does everything itself, and my code was written before the multiblock system existed.

I'll have to add explicit support for multiblocks in the future, and in the mean time, all multiblocks should simply disappear when moved.

Doesn't bother me, I can't even get the bloody things to work.

Doesn't bother me, I can't even get the bloody things to work.

I'll be honest: I'm not looking forward to it, because it means I'll have to learn Scala and get its tools added to MCP. All credit to MachineMuse, I tried to be enthusiastic about it, but after a little time spent messing about, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not man enough to handle Scala.

Oh well.

For now, it's best to just add a warning not to use Multiblock structures with carriage until further notice. By the way, how well does it work with Immibis Microblocks? Do those behave properly on carriages, especially if there's more than one of them per block space?

For now, it's best to just add a warning not to use Multiblock structures with carriage until further notice. By the way, how well does it work with Immibis Microblocks? Do those behave properly on carriages, especially if there's more than one of them per block space?

I haven't tried it, but I have to assume they would either disappear, or just be left behind. They're not stored as part of the block's information.

I figured out how to attach a controller on the structure carriage but the computer used to activate it always turns off once it moves. Halp.

Well, if you had actually bothered to read the first post, like you should have done instead of asking for, "halp", without trying to find out for yourself what exactly is going on, you would have discovered this paragraph.

"If you have ComputerCraft computers or turtles on a carriage, after movement, they will reboot (which means they will run the "startup" program again). This is the way dan200 has designed them: They do the same thing when the world loads, and when a chunk is unloaded and reloaded. It is also a good idea to add a short sleep command to the start of the program to let everything settle a bit prior to continued motion: Try "os.sleep(0.1)" and go up from there if that doesn't work."

Well, if you had actually bothered to read the first post, like you should have done instead of asking for, "halp", without trying to find out for yourself what exactly is going on, you would have discovered this paragraph.

Ah. Sorry. I didn't really understand the nature of that paragraph.

EDIT: Hey it works! but on an unrelated note I can't actually stop it from moving midflight 'till it hits something. That's bad. Also I keep falling through my structure. :I

Ah. Sorry. I didn't really understand the nature of that paragraph.

Oh. Sorry, I apologize for the harshness then.

EDIT: Hey it works! but on an unrelated note I can't actually stop it from moving midflight 'till it hits something. That's bad.

Yes it is bad. Is the engine in continuous mode?

Also I keep falling through my structure. :I

Can you tell us exactly what you are doing to cause that? Pictures may be helpful.

Yes it is bad.

Basically it doesn't give me enough time to stop the elevator when it moves next. I'm not sure whether to give it more delay, because it'd take longer to reach, I probably should.

Can you tell us exactly what you are doing to cause that?

When I try walking/jumping around in between flights I tend to glitch and fall through the elevator. It's just pretty irritating when there's no way to remotely call the elevator. And taking fall damage when I hit the ground. I'm thinking REther turtles.

Basically it doesn't give me enough time to stop the elevator when it moves next. I'm not sure whether to give it more delay, because it'd take longer to reach, I probably should.

When I try walking/jumping around in between flights I tend to glitch and fall through the elevator. It's just pretty irritating when there's no way to remotely call the elevator. And taking fall damage when I hit the ground. I'm thinking REther turtles.

There's no way to interact with a moving carriage and there never will be. If you absolutely need to stop one mid-transit, you'll have to give it a delay. To make an elevator with no delay and multiple floors, you need to create a system (probably using pistons as stops) to cause it to wait on each floor for you to say "go up again".

If you are jumping, you may be jumping above the "area of influence" (think of it kind of like magnetism) of the carriage, which means your position is no longer locked to it when it moves. At which point, you suddenly discover that the carriage does not actually exist while it is in transit, and though it does place down some invisible placeholder blocks, it doesn't place them *everywhere*: Only where necessary.

Improved motion while on a moving carriage is on my "to do" list, but it's very tricky and I'm not 100% focused on it, because quite honestly, the carriage system (and the original frame system, for that matter) is just not designed to make airships. (That's what Ugocraft is for.) I'm glad that you *can* make airships with it, but them not behaving completely airshiip-like really is just a limitation, not a flaw.

Carriages are best used in situations where only one space is moved at a time (meaning it's only one second, which is a super-short time), or where there is no need to move or interact during motion (such as in a closed elevator). You are never going to be able to make some sort of carriage airplane unless you use a delay and let it be super-jerky.