Neat bases.

Onikrex

Hey guys, I was hoping for a little help here.

I currently have a base set up, and it works, it's decent looking, but its not what I'm after.

When I look on Youtube for bases, it's either people showing off the normal 9x9 starter house, or people showing off HUGE houses that wouldn't be smart to make in survival.

What I'm asking, is for you guys to post some pictures of your bases, or bases you really like, that seem to have room for everything, but still look really nice and kept.

Anything using water is a plus c:

Great advice, napkin. Iron doors totally look like nice houses.

On a serious note, I'll post a picture of one of my bases when I come home. This PC doesn't have any screenshots on it. Generally, I prefer going for materials that provide a nice contrast (so that it's not all grey if you use the stone), but don't provide an eyesore (i.e. mostly neutral colors). Thus, the black and white combo is my favorite - it looks nice and it's really easy to accent details in your building using the opposite color. MFR provides black and white bricks, which are a pretty decent replacement for RP2 marble and basalt. If you play SSP, or on a server that has Immibis Microblocks, those colored bricks can be cut up to make for slabs, columns, stripes, corners, that sort of thing.

When it comes to architecture, it is ultimately up to you to decide how it will look like, but I generally go for medium-sized square rooms connected to each other by corridors, so that the end result looks sorta like a castle.

Great advice, napkin. Iron doors totally look like nice houses.

I guess I should have explained a bit more in my first post. I was replying mostly to this part of the OP:

What I'm asking' date=' is for you guys to post some pictures of your bases, or bases you really like, that seem to have room for everything, but still look really nice and kept.[/quote']

The nice thing about dimensional doors is that it allows you to arbitrarily expand your house, effectively separating prettiness from functionality. That way you can focus on building a nice-looking house with no machines and pop down a dimensional door somewhere, where you hide your machines and storage. Need automatic farms after that? Pop down a dimensional door. Need room for a mob farm? Pop a dimensional door. Need room for a crazy amount of energy storage? Pop a dimensional door.

Ah, right. Though, I personally dislike dimdoors because of how boring the inside of the dimensional pockets is. Now if someone invents something like the Star Trek holodecks, so that we can have nice panoramic sunny day windows inside our pockets (or underground), I'd be all over that thang.

I actually prefer the MFR textures. IMO adding things like specks/dots does NOT work in 16x, and the RP2 textures had loads. The marble texture was the most revolting thing....

Anyway, the bases I have built.... I recently built a huge factory in Tekkit classic like the Yogscast's which was a mistake because it took forever. Other than that i rarely spend enough time in a world to actually move out of my hidey hole.