Nether Portals Don't Lead to the Nether? Turn off Mods?

LucidLethargy

So because the Technic team decided to name their latest modpack "Tekkit", the same name the original (now Tekkit "Classic") mod, I am unable to use google to find solutions to my questions... Simply put, my issue is that nether portals don't lead to the nether... instead they lead to exponentially further away areas of the map. After 3-4 portals you're out over a million blocks out from the spawn.

So how does one get to the Nether in Tekkit? Many recipes require Nether materials, so this is really screwing me up... I've had to cheat in blocks and keep track of them all so I can burn them later (I take survival seriously on my server.)

Also, as a secondary question: is it easy to turn mods off yet? Mods like EE3 I simply have no interest in... I'm not sure if much has changed here since EE2, but EE2 was the cheapest thing I've ever seen... less survival and more "build this stuff for a few hours, then you can make anything you want for free!" If I wanted unlimited free blocks, I'd play creative! Definitely ruins the game for me, anyway, so if there's a means to disable mods apart from banning key items, I'd love to hear it! I haven't dug too deeply into the configs yet, but perhaps there is a means in there that's a simple "yes" or "no" toggle?

EE3 has changed massively since EE2, is not nearly as cheap and seems much more balanced atm, It can get a bit OP buy by that time usually you can get anything it makes through normal means. Your nether issue I have never heard of happening like to anyone. I cannot think of any mods in tekkit that modify the nether much either, other than nether ores.

I am the admin of a public server, so I do want to disable certain mods simply to retain the survival feel for everyone.

And that's interesting, I wonder if I will agree once I learn more about it... I'll check it out. For now I'll disable it one way or another, though. This way I can enable it at my own pace, once I've investigated it further.

I find it quite strange nobody else has the nether issue I do... I'm running Tekkit 1.0.6 with bukkit via mcpc. Perhaps my mcpc version is causing it? No plugins I know of should be, but perhaps that's also a possibility... it's pretty weird either way - I've never seen over a million blocks on the coords before haha. I may need to delete the land I generated... may cause issues.

When it comes to EE3 and survival, don't bother disabling it. Imagine EE2 but without everything except for the philosopher's stone. That is basically what EE3 is at this point. There is no passive emc generation (emc isn't even implemented yet) and the mod consists of manual alchemy (via the minium stone) and partially implemented and at this point useless blocks and items. There are no creative in survival items or blocks.

I would not turn any mods off if I were you. Your nether problem is really weird. I never herd or scene it before. It could be a glitch from vanilla. Did you check your severs config files? It might have been disable by default(witch shouldn't be the case but you never know) Or you might have tried to disable something else and wrote is on the wrong line. If you can take a video and upload it to YouTube before you fix it, that would be awesome. I'd like to see it, and someone might be able to use that information too.

When it comes to EE3 and survival, don't bother disabling it. Imagine EE2 but without everything except for the philosopher's stone. That is basically what EE3 is at this point. There is no passive emc generation (emc isn't even implemented yet) and the mod consists of manual alchemy (via the minium stone) and partially implemented and at this point useless blocks and items. There are no creative in survival items or blocks.

I find being able to turn Clay into diamonds very not useless. It's expensive though which I really love! Since it's fair! Even with a sludge boiler spewing out the clay it still requires loads of Minum Stones to make a decent amount of diamonds. Especially if the Owner nerfs the amount of times it can be used!

As for the OP's Nether portal problems. What exactly is it doing? Does it just send you to another place in the Overworld or the the End?

I find being able to turn Clay into diamonds very not useless. It's expensive though which I really love! Since it's fair! Even with a sludge boiler spewing out the clay it still requires loads of Minum Stones to make a decent amount of diamonds. Especially if the Owner nerfs the amount of times it can be used!

Exactly- My point was that it is not passive (Collectors & Relays) or automatic. (Condensers) You can chuck a minium stone into an automatic crafting table but It'll run out after a while.

I meant the minium powder and aludel and glass bell and stuff are useless. Those are only partially implemented.

Maybe OP is talking about Dimensional Doors? Kind of roundabout, but traveling through them can take you to Limbo, then tens of thousands of blocks away.

Traveling to the Nether in Tekkit hasnt' changed. If Nether Portals really are teleporting you millions of blocks from global spawn, then I suspect something you've done to the Tekkit pack is the problem. Which mods have you added, removed, or disabled? You mention using MCPC+ and bukkit mods, so there's really no telling what you've done to your Tekkit install to make it behave this way.

Good luck figuring it out, I suggest first using Tekkit unaltered, as delivered from the Technic Team, before further modifying it.

I keep wanting to see if I could catch a butterfly and keep it under a bell jar for my amusement.

Doesn't the Glass Bell render whatever is inside it? Install forestry and put an butterfly item inside it!

• 1 month later...

I am the admin of a public server, so I do want to disable certain mods simply to retain the survival feel for everyone.

And that's interesting, I wonder if I will agree once I learn more about it... I'll check it out. For now I'll disable it one way or another, though. This way I can enable it at my own pace, once I've investigated it further.

I find it quite strange nobody else has the nether issue I do... I'm running Tekkit 1.0.6 with bukkit via mcpc. Perhaps my mcpc version is causing it? No plugins I know of should be, but perhaps that's also a possibility... it's pretty weird either way - I've never seen over a million blocks on the coords before haha. I may need to delete the land I generated... may cause issues.

I am now having this exact same issue on my server. Did you ever find out what was causing it?

1.0.6 is 1.5.1 right? make sure you are using the latest mcpc from jenkins that will work on that. otherwise, update to the tekket....i bet its has something to do with the world folder heirarchy changing from bukkit style to forge style around that period...thats all sorted out in the dev version of tekkit, and its very stable, i have about 20 added mods and my server runs great.

of course the server.properties has the nether allowed right? never know, gotta check.