Biofuel Struggle

Prototype958

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i finally got ready to to fight the wither..... after all those mobs and finally getting a safari net with a wither skeleton on it i got 3 skulls.

ive heard the damned thing was kinda nasty so i got everything i needed. i wanted to fight the wither with "normal" weapons, hence no rail gun. in these pics you can see i was getting even a canon....

end result?

FAILURE. the wither jumped me and i couldn't even fire a shot before he annihilated my cannon, so i resorted to other weapons....

in the end i had to run around because the wither effect was really nasty, couple mins later i pulled the railgun on his ass and nailed him XD

how on earth are those monsters supposed to be killed without stuff like MPS and cannons?

If you're looking for a quick, simple solution, here's my "Wither Spawn Room"

http://imgur.com/Y2UNW0K

It's not as satisfying as fighing him on your own, but it gets the job done and you get your Star at the end. =P

I started with just a basic room, don't make it more then 3 high, you don't want him flying around too mcuh. I wanted to do the whole room out of Obsidian but I was being lazy so now after each spawn I just fill in what ever was broken. You'll probably lose a golem or two, but they really tear the Wither apart.

If you're looking for a quick, simple solution, here's my "Wither Spawn Room"

http://imgur.com/Y2UNW0K

It's not as satisfying as fighing him on your own, but it gets the job done and you get your Star at the end. =P

I started with just a basic room, don't make it more then 3 high, you don't want him flying around too mcuh. I wanted to do the whole room out of Obsidian but I was being lazy so now after each spawn I just fill in what ever was broken. You'll probably lose a golem or two, but they really tear the Wither apart.

That is GENIUS. I didn't even think to use Iron Golems to tear the Wither a new one. I guess it comes down to limiting his movement, then killing him however you can. Don't spawn him out in the open, he will fuck you up.

I've heard of other build where you tunnel up to bedrock in the Nether, then spawn him so he suffocates.

Yea, I saw a lot of different methods, some with tunnels, some with caves, even a really complex one that involved TNT, pressure plates, delayed repeaters and a long hallway, but this was by far the simplist. He still busts through a fair amount of Obsidian and I usually have to replace a few Iron Golems after, but they still make quick work of him.

I'm down about 16 layers and about 50 blocks away from anything I'd be pissed about losing, btw so there's no chance of him breaking out of the room, then I just replace what ever blocks he busted, spawn some new golems and leave the room ready for the next time I need it.

you guys should look into MFFS. its a little expensive to start one but if you compare it to the tedious work of replacing blocks, getting new golems etc..... its a lot better. look for direwolf20's Wither arena. dont forget your controller to get out btw. you dont wanna be stuck inside a Force field with a pissed off wither on your ass.

also, the MFFS do get destroyed by the wither, but the MFFS replaces those blocks instantly.

edit: dont forget the part where you want a controlled environment to get the nether star safely afterwards, and also the fact that you know that the wither will never get out is awesome.

I literally just upgraded to 1.1.5 this morning(maybe last night it's all blending together lately...) and haven't had a chance to play around with the Focre Fields. I definitely will soon though.

oh, sorry. i had no idea you did not have MFFS. youre in for a treat.... atomic science specially.

The other day I made the statement on this thread that I thought that a Bio Reactor transfers biofuel out faster if you use two Liquid Tesseracts. I set up a timed test and found this to be false. Liquid Tesseracts have no speed limits and no quantity limits, and a single one will draw the liquid out as fast as it can be produced. This actually had been bugging me, as my previous and incorrect conclusion was contradictory to the Wiki. I won't bother posting the test unless someone wants to see it.

Anyway, I wanted to come up with a compact way to store all the biofuel, as my current way uses lots of tesseracts and uses Buildcraft pipes (fail), and only stores like 16 tanks. The Liquid Manager from Steve's Carts seems to be a good way to store items compactly, as it will store the equivalent of eight tanks in one block. To this end, I came up with this, which I share in the event someone else finds it useful or has any suggestions for improving it:

http://imgur.com/qwfclvl

Each set (two pictured) stores the equivalent of 48 tanks of biofuel in a very small and attractive space. It has an input tesseract (front) that places biofuel into storage down the right side. It is then drawn out to the output tesseract in the back. I have it tiled (there will be four total) because I have four separate power "cores" and don't want Biofuel shortages on one core to affect the others, even though my 192 Biofuel Generators will be backed up by 20 Bio Reactors and should thus not run out via the 10:1 ratio. But systems that can just have a shared biofuel pool could just have one, and it could obviously be stacked higher or the tesseracts moved to the bottom.

While this really is nothing epic and ground-breaking, I think it should would well for storing biofuel without having to have room for lots of tanks. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Because it wasn't originally seen as a "viable" form of liquid storage. That being said, 128 buckets in one block is ridiculous. Better check that future versions of Steve's doesn't modify the internal storage.

wait..... you mean 8 vanilla tanks per manager?????

It has four internal tanks, each of which holds the equivalent of two normal glass tanks. The UI on the block allows you to combine these four tanks into one tank.

Because it wasn't originally seen as a "viable" form of liquid storage. That being said, 128 buckets in one block is ridiculous. Better check that future versions of Steve's doesn't modify the internal storage.

I'll enjoy it in the meantime, though.... I'm sure the intention is to have a way to handle inputs from carts carrying multiple types of liquid to eventually transfer to other storage.

i dont know if this will happen or not, but i can say that i believe it would be dumb to remove the only 'decent' liquid storage available in this entire mod pack (if there is any other please let me know). what tekkit is missing is liquid storage.

I only have 24 now myself and I was able to run my "moderate" sized ME network, 4 Preloaded Mining Laser and a max sized Quarry this morning. with no noticible dip into my reserves. We'll see what it's at when I get home tonight, I turned the Laser down to 2 preloaders(I haven't hooked it into the network yet so I was afraid of chest overflow) and left my quarry running. Hopefully the server still exists when I get out. >_<

192 Generators? Overkill? I'm running my entire base off 26 Generators and I'm running a Mining Laser Drill!

A little, yeah... but keep in mind that I'm losing a fourth of them due to the 25% loss on tesseracts. My previous tests show that the mining laser needs 400MJ/t to run at full speed, which would be 27 biofuel generators (so you're really really close to maximum usage, unless my tests are wrong--they're a couple pages back). One of my cores should be able to run the mining laser and a few quarries ( Core 4), and I figured I'd need some power for force-fields when I upgrade (Core 3), and then my friend has some stuff running on Core 2. Yeah, it's a bit much, but I figure once all four are going, I should be good to go on power forever and can focus on other things.... I dunno.

Shit, I'd build a factory of those cores just because they look bad ass screw the overkill, we can always find more ways to spend power. =P

there is no such thing as overkill in minecraft, specially if you take into account how retarded energy requirements grow as you start adding new stuff and expanding the AE networks.