Applied Energistics Auto Smelt

Jebussz

I remembered hearing that you could automate the crafting/smelting of electrum and invar ingots via the use of Applied Energistics. I cant figure out what you use in AE to connect to the induction smelter that causes it to automatically smelt the electrum on demand. Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

There are several ways to do this, depending on your level of familiarity with Applied Energistics and your preference.

(1) Set up ME Precision Export Buses on two (differently colored) inputs for an Induction Smelter; if you want to trigger them based on ME Level Emitters you can, otherwise they'll just automatically dump ingredients. Of course, this way doesn't distinguish between Invar and Electrum, so you'll likely want a different Induction Smelter for each, or

(2) Set up an ME Molecular Assembler Chamber and create a Pattern for both electrum and invar (you'll probably also need a pattern for Invar Blend); then set up an ME Interface adjacent to your Induction Smelter with the pattern for both items and it'll allow you to craft on demand (however, this is pretty complex for someone just getting familiar with AE); lastly,

(3) Create a subnetwork to handle the processing -- this seems to be the most complex route so I won't go into detail, but when you get more familiar with AE, check it out.

Well i have some experience with AE, i have the Melecular Assembler Chamber and I made the pattern for electrum, but where do I put the craft pattern for the electrum? Just to make sure I did the craft pattern correctly, I did place the silver and gold into the pattern maker( I forget what it is called ) and knowing that it doesnt craft anything I put an electrum ingot into the craft slot so that it basically says gold+silver=electrum. Is that correct?

if you have a pattern that uses both gold and silver, it will try to drop in both (if the input is set to both-blue); the only danger here is that if you try to craft more than 128 it will fill both slots with the same ingredient and disrupt production.

what I was talking about is if you use an ME Interface to drop resources into a single-color input (e.g., blue) then it can sometimes fill both sides with the same type of resource.

One option is to fill one side with silver and have the recipe read (Gold = Electrum); but this ties up a lot of silver. Other people have their own solutions to this -- how do you have your Electrum production set up, Dewfire?

I know I'm probably starting to sound like all I can think about are Subnetworks, but I really do like the way they solve this problem. Essentially, you have an separate AE network (different color) and export raw materials (e.g. gold/silver) only when you want to craft something. Then it drops them (via a Storage Bus) into the 'input' slots of an Induction Smelter (one for each colored input, so you don't fill both) and out pops Electrum. For a bit more discussion on it, check out this thread. I also found this YouTube tutorial to be very helpful.

so are you using an Induction Smelter with a full stack of sand and toss in the ingredients as needed? and do you keep a certain amount of electrum dust on hand, or do you pulverize gold/silver on demand?

Like I said, there's lots of ways of doing it.

Pulverize everything as soon as it hits my network. I keep stacks of Sand in all my Smelters, I migrated to smelters because they are faster. I made sure my Mystcraft Quarry age was flat desert so I had plenty of sand on hand. Invar and Electrum I craft as needed, and like I said, I have Smelters set up to smelt the Invar and Electrum Dust, so as fast as I can craft the dust, it's smelted into Ingots.

Lead and Copper I pulverize and smelt immediately. All others I have level emitters on to keep around 300 ingots on hand and the rest stay as dust so if I need for Invar or Electrum I have it.

Smelting as ores instead of dust would give you more yield overall via Rich Slag. Any particular reason you pulverize instead

except you can get other dust from pulverizing so it is largely a wash. I also would disagree with weir that tieing up a single stack of silver is a lot, if it is you probably aren't ready to be working with ME yet, and that is the simplest way to not have issues with crafting in induction smelters, every recipie has that rare ingredient and a common one just keep a stack of the common stocked a stack of silver or a stack of sand makes no real difference. My comment on dewfires method is only that it takes more storage space to hold onto the dust for that long, and while it is quick, you still have to wait.

except you can get other dust from pulverizing so it is largely a wash. I also would disagree with weir that tieing up a single stack of silver is a lot, if it is you probably aren't ready to be working with ME yet, and that is the simplest way to not have issues with crafting in induction smelters, every recipie has that rare ingredient and a common one just keep a stack of the common stocked a stack of silver or a stack of sand makes no real difference. My comment on dewfires method is only that it takes more storage space to hold onto the dust for that long, and while it is quick, you still have to wait.

Numbers-wise, yes it's pretty similar (I think RS has a slightly higher proc rate than extra dust but I could be mistaken), but Rich Slag can be used on *any* ore, so it's more versatile, and could always be used on whatever you're short on, or gold to Minium to Diamonds or whatever. It's just more useful overall than extra dust, and it takes less machinery too. =)

Diamonds are worthless to me, I have over 1k sitting in my network with nothing to use them for. And honestly, it's easier to just set up a couple extra quarries for any resources then managing Rich Slag etc. I have a full Server Drive array of 64k Drives, so Dust or Ingots, doesn't really matter to me, if I need more space I will just make more.

As for having to wait, I keep a stock of ingots at the ready, so unless I request a really large order, it still get's crafted instantly, and while I go off and use whatever it was I just made, my network is smelting more ingots for the next time.

grinding ferrus is the only way to get shiny ingots, not that they are totally like needed but it is a scarce resource that it does take quite some time to aquire in large amounts, the only ore that has no useful side products is gold really, I use my rich slag on gold, oh and nether ores because thats just op, but I send quite a few ore through both kinds of smelting anymore, really im waiting for mek to get added back so I can use their factories to smelt 7 at a time that, my friends will be a glorious day.