Cannot get Tekkit 1.1.8 Quarry to work

AZ1JoeT

I believe I have it set up correctly. I have entered /op [buildCraft] into chat and it replied "opped [buildCraft]. I am using the latest version of Tekkit, and I have added no additional mods. I started a new world in creative mode. I am not playing on a server.

I connect the quarry to two steam engines. I put coal in both engines. I have tried using redstone and a switch, only a switch (right next to quarry), and redstone torches. Nothing works. I used redstone because I could not find the "red insulated wire" in the creative menu. The "red pipe wire" I could find would not place on the ground.

Here is the picture -- https://plus.google.com/u/2/photos?pid=5924843986140794194&oid=117321099476948316628

Any advice?

Yeah quarries can be a little tricky. Even though places will tell you that Buildcraft needs to be opped first the Tekkit v1.1.8 pack has it done by default (at least as far as I'm aware as I didn't need to do anything). I'll just run through the whole process to see if you see anything you might have missed so bear with me lol.

Before you place a quarry you need to specify the area you want to mine with landmarks, with redstone signal to power them (usually torches but whatever floats your boat). You need at least 3 landmarks, although you can use 4 if you prefer. Once you have your landmarks down in the pattern you want right click one, then another, then the first one again. At this point you should see a completely red line around your mining area. After that's done it's time to slap down a quarry next to one of your landmarks (it needs to be adjacent to it and on the same elevation). The landmarks will be uprooted and a black and yellow grid should show up in place of that red line you saw earlier. Then you need to give it power, any engine stronger than redstone will do it. Quarries can consume variable amounts of power, which is nice as you don't need a huge power plant to run one early on. The steam engines you mentioned work just fine, if a bit slow for my taste heh. I haven't tried affixing engines directly to a quarry before (I use tesseracts) so you may need to attach wooden conductive pipe to each engine that then connects to the quarry for them to properly transmit power. Once it has power it will begin to clear the area for its orange grid work thing and then once the floating probe is done with that the drill appears and stuff starts spewing out of the quarry, unless you set up some means to send it somewhere and/or store it.

I hope this helps.

sorry, couldn't see the pictures, so I'm guessing at what's going on:

(1) you didn't mention providing water to your steam engines -- if you're not doing that they won't function

Once you have your landmarks down in the pattern you want right click one, then another, then the first one again. At this point you should see a completely red line around your mining area.

(2) Not sure about this; I just right-click the 'central' landmark (of the 3 I place) where I want to place my quarry and everything lights up red... but even if you don't use landmarks a quarry should still start up with a default size (can't remember if it's 8x8 or what).

(3) I have 10 Magmatic Engines powering my Quarry and it's still not fast enough for my taste, just fyi.

sorry, couldn't see the pictures, so I'm guessing at what's going on:

(1) you didn't mention providing water to your steam engines -- if you're not doing that they won't function

(2) Not sure about this; I just right-click the 'central' landmark (of the 3 I place) where I want to place my quarry and everything lights up red... but even if you don't use landmarks a quarry should still start up with a default size (can't remember if it's 8x8 or what).

(3) I have 10 Magmatic Engines powering my Quarry and it's still not fast enough for my taste, just fyi.

@OP i bet you thought these steam engines were the one from before.... names changed. Steam engines became Stirling, and the new steam engine requires water xD

@weir

1. if you click on your quarry with the multimeter itll say that its requesting 500 energy.... 500 of what unit i dunno, but i believe somewhere between 100 and 50 Mj/t are required. a TON more magmatic engines XD

2. default size is 9*9 inside and 11*11 outside. (Hole is 9*9 and the frame is 11*11*5 i believe.

3. best and fastest way to place a Quarry is 3 landmarks and one torch

place the first landmark, and drop the torch beside it.... fly to both ends of the blue line and drop the two torches... fly back and click on the middle one....Done XD quarry placed in 10 seconds.

just an FYI, you don't need ANY torches for the landmarks. just right click one, and it will make a square (or cube) if there are connecting landmarks. Redstone powering the landmarks is an unrelated operation that creates a blue laser in 5 directions for 64 blocks.

just an FYI, you don't need ANY torches for the landmarks. just right click one, and it will make a square (or cube) if there are connecting landmarks. Redstone powering the landmarks is an unrelated operation that creates a blue laser in 5 directions for 64 blocks.

No. If you right click the corner of a square or cube made with landmarks, and they all connect, you'll get red lasers connecting them all.

EDIT: Buildcraft wiki explains the difference, and has some pictures of what I mean.

actually you do have a way of knowing its called math.

THEMOREYOUKNOW.

The whole point of using the landmarks is so I don't HAVE to do math. If I wanted to count coordinates I wouldn't bother with them in the first place.

I will certainly concede that they aren't strictly necessary for defining an area. However I still maintain that you need at least one (thanks for that tip Charlie, never occurred to me).

Thank you all for responding.

No, I have not been using water. I tried to add water using a bucket just now, and I cannot seem to figure out how to do it.

Here is a better look at the set up.

8gst.th.png

And here is what I see when I click on one of the steam engines.

x1ff.th.png

By default, applying redstone to steam engines turns them off. Try turning off the redstone and see if that fixes the problem.

If they continue not to function after not being powered, they may have overheated as a result of running without water - try right clicking them with a wrench (and making sure they have water) to get them working again.

I will try it. They have never been on, though. Not even for a second.

Also, how do I add water?

you can add water by piping it in (I recommend liquiducts supplied by a pump -- power the pump with a redstone engine), but when you're just getting started you can also add water by right-clicking the engine with a full water bucket.

The blue/green/yellow/orange/red thing is for standard Buildcraft engines. These steam engines are from Thermal Expansion. The red is just a visual effect that means it's on, if they overheat they'll just lock up until you right-click on them with a wrench.