Rule about use of abandoned mods in a pack?

The_Fireplace

Technic doesn't enforce any rules on Modpack licensing nor do they accept responsibility. If a modder decides to sue you, then that's your problem. If a mod author abandoned the mod, I would still provide a link to the original page, but you can do what you like.

Under no mod license is a modder allowed to sue you. Copyright Infringement is a civil crime, therefore to have a case they need to prove civil (monetary) damages. Also remember it is illegal to force users to pay for use of a mod based on a copyrighted video game. Thus, no modder charges for their mod, therefore there are no monetary damages to prove, ergo they have no case.

I'm no expert, I just like proving to the crew at Feed The Fanboys that their whole approach is misguided. I agree that its nice to have them; if you have respect for the mod author(s) then you should get them to show that respect. However, IMHO, the mod authors who refuse to grant permissions aren't worthy of anything but pity, therefore my pack has permissions for mods when I can get them, and no permissions when I can't.

• Moderators

Under no mod license is a modder allowed to sue you.

A little birdie told me that CovertJaguar actually sued AMCO and Something Awful's Plus++ pack for adding his mod without permission.

There's no such thing as "not allowed to sue". People will sue for the most ridiculous things ever.

The REAL question is: Can they win the case?

No, they can't

But they can definitly sue anyone to their hearts desire.

For their sake, they better not get judge Judy on their case...

A little birdie told me that CovertJaguar actually sued AMCO and Something Awful's Plus++ pack for adding his mod without permission.

I heard that too. CovertJaguar was thrown out of court and warned if he tried to sue someone for a nonexistent copyright again then he would find himself charged with wasting the court's time and copyright fraud. It's not illegal to use such mods without 'permission', it is illegal for someone to try to falsely claim copyright on something they do not have rights over. If you look at it, FTB is closer to breaking the law then Technic is..... In my country all copyrights have to be registered; copyright is never 'implied', and thus no matter how many tantrums CJ might throw, I can use as much of his shit as I want and there is not a fanny he can do about it.

Picking mods for my pack now. A couple have outrageous requirements for getting permissions. If it involves anything past an email asking for permissions I am not wasting my time. Some people just have something shoved so far up their rear it isn't funny. Must be swimming in some serious cash to sue all the people that don't bother reading a BS license that won't stand in court.

Distribution of software under a copyright without permission is illegal. In countries where berne convention standards are in effect copyright is recognized without any formal registration. The copyright holder has the right to grant or deny permission to redistribute work.

Got to love international policy's on the internet eh?

In some country's there would be a case for a mod being redistributed. In most however you would just be laughed out of a court house like Scarecrow said with CW.

The problem international is that it may be illegal in one country (Where the modder lives we'll say) and in the user's country it is not. The modder cannot sue. Even if it was also illegal in both country's, laws and boarders do not go hand in hand.

You cannot sue internationally without some big government influence on both ends and I doubt any government would bother with something so small as this.

In any case, this is the internet. We are anonymous. Good luck finding us.

Distribution of software under a copyright without permission is illegal.

I agree, where a copyright exists. A mod cannot be copyrighted in the first place because it is derived from another piece of copyrighted material: Minecraft

CW

Who's CW? CovertWhiner? Sounds about right....

Yes but what this all comes down to is not a legal matter, but a personal one. If one wishes to stay in good terms with modders then follow their rules. If not, then do what you want. No modded is going to come knocking on your door with a shotgun if you don't get permission for redistributing their mod, so do what you please.

Distribution of software under a copyright without permission is illegal. In countries where berne convention standards are in effect copyright is recognized without any formal registration. The copyright holder has the right to grant or deny permission to redistribute work.

Only problem is it is next to impossible to claim copyright on a mod for a game.

What I find funny is most of the mods I have so far in my mod pack the authors have no problem with you distrubuting their mods in a pack. With the exception of two of them. Thermal Expassion's license made me chuckle a bit because the author realized how absurd it is to be restrictive because it would only prevent people playing their mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Except mods don't use any of the minecraft source.

No they don't, but the whole of Minecraft is copyrighted. You can't take it and market it as something else, nor can you redistribute it without permission. If you took away Minecraft, the mods wouldn't work, thus they cannot be copyrighted because they are derived from something someone else has copyrighted.