Damnit Bethesda!%#$#@$

jakj

Any game where you run around a small map shooting bots/people (Alien arena, Sauerbraten/Cube 2 (despite the building aspect), Assault Cube, Cube, Nexiuz (and the furry voraphile derivative Vore Tournament), World Of Padman, warsow... you get the point). Tremulous is kind of a different beast. It is an arena shooter but it also has a nifty bit of RTS in it as well, I would still count it as such.

Interestingly I have played the entire list and Tremulous. Plus several (arena shooter and none) variants of sauerbraten like PremiumArts Sandbox, Eisenstern, and Red Eclipse. Thank heavens for package managers and software repositories.

I notice of how you were dissing most of the arena shooters, but then you referred to tremulous as a "Beast". Tremulous is a win, it's obscure nature also typically keeps really young idiots away. kill most people on that game, and instead of raging, they will congratulate you for a nice kill, go into spectate mode to see how you did it, or see if they can counter-kill you. It is so much better than the hate-spewing 5-year olds of CoD

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could have gone my whole life not knowing that existed. Why would you take away my blissful ignorance? Why?

What did I ever do to you?

I was just trying to show just how many arena shooters I knew of for Linux.

Actually played it and almost beat "storyline" (It is a fetish game, the story line is just something along the line of "You get a power and must use that power to stop an evil that plans to use said power for evil.") mode. Darn second to last chapter bots cheat though. They can damage you faster then you can break free and they can break free faster then you can damage, not going into detail on how exactly that works though. Also found the Dev Room in the bonus map, Which is in a church with a few pictures, a bunch of scripted entities, and some hidden buttons, one of the enties in the dev room promote the use of open source.

...Don't judge me, it was a free game and a friend pointed it out to me. Their were also a few maps for Nexiuz with the same theme floating around a while back.

After some time in that weird part of the internet none of this will even phase you anymore. Even that one game with <Redacted for sanity's sake> where you get <Redacted again for sanity's sake> and you lose by <Redact the 3rd>. (You are welcome. XP)

I am now officially the forum Weirdo aren't I?

I notice of how you were dissing most of the arena shooters, but then you referred to tremulous as a "Beast". Tremulous is a win, it's obscure nature also typically keeps really young idiots away. kill most people on that game, and instead of raging, they will congratulate you for a nice kill, go into spectate mode to see how you did it, or see if they can counter-kill you. It is so much better than the hate-spewing 5-year olds of CoD

I wasn't dissing them. There are just OH SO MANY of them for Linux (and basically everything else). I enjoy them quiet a bit but be nice to see a few more genres.

I mean read the above... There are so many that even a furry vore variant on the genre exist. Which brings up a point... asides from the zap and grapple gun, how do you classify that game? Arena nommer?

Does anyone else think that Skyrim's main story line was way to short ? I completed it in about 6 hours or so and since then really haven't played it very much.

I love the graphics and most of the mechanics but the quests seem lacking to me compared to the TES games.

the thing about PC games though is that you get so many high-caliber programmers playing them, you occasionally get people with the ability to extract the game engine from the game itself, and then make a new game off of that(sarcasm). So who says PC gamers aren't going to get that content?

Anybody who actually finishes the main story line first in an Elder Scrolls game is doing it wrong.

According to steam, I played ESV for about 225 hours before I finished the main quest. Funny thing is, I never completed the main quest in ESIII.

But yeah, most of the good EV5 story lines are side quests. Thieves guild, Assassins guild (best quest line in an elder scrolls game to date, in my opinion) and certain daedric quests.

Then again, yes that xbox crap annoys me. I pre-ordered Skyrim at full price, now wheres my satisfaction Bethesda?

If it were paid DLC that everyone could get, I would be fine with it. The problem is it being free DLC that I won't get. You know why that pisses me off? Because it's free (meaning I don't give any additional money for it), part of the $60 I already paid went into developing something that I won't have access to legally. That is what pisses me off.

it doesnt matter anyway any dlc that doesnt change game mechanics and just adds new areas will become a mod anyway so there is not much point in them selling these types of dlc on computer

It's ridiculously easy to pirate the expansions for things like Morrowind and Fallout: New Vegas, and plenty of people (including me) still buy them, because 1) they're easier to get that way than pirate copies, 2) they're easy to install and manage than pirate copies, 3) they're less likely to be on some virus-ridden website than pirate copies (d'yarr, scurvy, eat yer oranges kiddos), and 4) good content deserves compensation. Oh yeah, and 5) not everyone even knows how to pirate content.

So, yeah, there's plenty of reason to release paid DLC.

What i am saying is that any dlc that comes out for pc and only contains new dungeons and citys will most likely be easily replicated as a mod so there isnt much point in them releasing it as paid dlc, whereas any DLC that has new game mechanics will be much more difficult to make into a mod. I am not saying that people should pirate DLC but that bethesda can only bring out paid dlc for PC if it contains more than new locations and dungeons.

All publishers are getting screwed over by microsoft, because microsoft gets a cut of console profits in the form of licensing fees.

Oddly enough, pc games do not give microsoft any monies whatsoever.

So of course microsoft will do anything to get the console version sold more.

And bethesda, aside from making awesome games, has the unfortunate downside of being a publisher too, susceptible to being dicked over.

All publishers are getting screwed over by microsoft, because microsoft gets a cut of console profits in the form of licensing fees.

Oddly enough, pc games do not give microsoft any monies whatsoever.

So of course microsoft will do anything to get the console version sold more.

And bethesda, aside from making awesome games, has the unfortunate downside of being a publisher too, susceptible to being dicked over.

PC doesn't require an encrypted loader module to actually start a program, so microsoft have no control whatsoever over what can run. Hard to extract license fees when you can't stop someone's code from running.

Though they're looking to correct that with windows 8 and its built in app store.

Plus there is an extra incentive to sell games, the console itself is sold at a loss. If I remember right they have to sell an average of 3.5 games per console to make up the difference between sell price and hardware cost (though this was at launch, no clue what economics of scale has done with that since).

Pulling dick moves like this helps keep the console price down.

PC doesn't require an encrypted loader module to actually start a program, so microsoft have no control whatsoever over what can run. Hard to extract license fees when you can't stop someone's code from running.

Though they're looking to correct that with windows 8 and its built in app store.

that will completely destroy windows gaming. imagine if every single indie game had to get authorized by microsoft, and then a fraction of their profits had to go to microsoft. That will certainly bring torch-wielding maniacs to their door. I am sure that if they prevent all code from running without the specail authorization code that they have to provide, most indie game devs will switch to linux.

Even if that were still to happen, I would never be using windows 8 for as long as I can.

Part of Microsoft's success has been due to their consistency in their operating system design. If they remove the "start" button which has been around since 1995 and force their non-power users onto a new interface, they will cause loads of frustration and lose sales. It'll be like when everyone clung to XP when Vista was launched because of its app incompatibility and excessive security etc.

At the very least microsoft should allow people to go back to a fully classic interface that includes the start button.

Also, if Microsoft no longer allows just any app to be run and forces people to be tied to their stupid-ass "app store" crap, I'm switching to linux. (and staying!)

Maybe I'll just buy a playstation for my video games or something.

Or just use windows 7 forever, even after microsoft stops releasing directx patches and the operating system stops being a viable platform for PC games.

Who knows...

Even if that were still to happen, I would never be using windows 8 for as long as I can.

Part of Microsoft's success has been due to their consistency in their operating system design. If they remove the "start" button which has been around since 1995 and force their non-power users onto a new interface, they will cause loads of frustration and lose sales. It'll be like when everyone clung to XP when Vista was launched because of its app incompatibility and excessive security etc.

At the very least microsoft should allow people to go back to a fully classic interface that includes the start button.

Also, if Microsoft no longer allows just any app to be run and forces people to be tied to their stupid-ass "app store" crap, I'm switching to linux. (and staying!)

Or just use windows 7 forever, even after microsoft stops releasing directx patches and the operating system stops being a viable platform for PC games.

Who knows...

linux is actually surprisingly good, the reason why it gets so many people saying it sucks is because (this is a direct quote I read before.): "Linux is shitty cuz it has no games and no programs work on it and it is buggy and retarded, and is only for gay nerds, LOL!!!!". most of these people are terribly uninformed, linux has a FREE equivalent to nearly every commercial program on the market now, and you just have to look around for games. if you are a beginning linux user, i would HIGHLY recommend Tremulous, it is an awesome hybrid of FPS and RTS. Plus, the community is great, the few younger players are generally more subdued than the dirty-mouthed CoD 5-year olds. On most servers, after around a day of playing on it, you pretty much know everyone on the server, so you get a closer community, and servers aren't massively different and divided, if you play on one server, you can play on any server and fit right in. I neat thing i recently noticed that I just noticed is that after every match, nearly every player spams the chat with gg, unlike CoD, where if your team wins a match, all you get is, "OMG, YOU SPAWN KILLED, H4XED, AND ALL SUCKED, FUCK YOU ALL!"

and if windows does go along with the whole "app store" thing, i must find someone to release a text modification that changes the name of the app store to the crap store.

Yes, it is indeed quite good. I've been dual booting it for a few years now and the only reason I ever use windows is for native application compatibility and gaming. If need be I'd just use Wine. What sucks is that all the big game developers/publishers like Bethesda, DICE, EA, Activision etc. don't want to release their games for the linux platform.

If linux had as many users as, say, macs at the very least, it would be an outright amazing operating system.

The only reason I have to run Windows is for DirectX support. Microsoft's PR convinces everyone GL is inadequate and we can't get games to work under GNU. The entire Windows OS otherwise is completely ported to Wine without a problem.

But fuck Ubuntu. Used to love them until this Unity bullshit when they decided they know better than me how I need to use my computer. So disappointed.

New quests and locations exclusive to xbox360? For this I paid $60 fucking dollars for your game a week before it went on sale for $40? Can no game company anywhere be trusted to any degree at all anymore? Oh my god. "The piracy! Pc gamers are pirates!" Yes because you fuck us over with things like this!

I dislike that it seems to be implied that only PC gamers are Pirates, I can mod a 360, a PS3, or a Wii, and be able to play games I've downloaded just fine. So why aren't you fucking over console gamers? I feel like they need to be more universal with their "X are Pirates" (They being the mainstream media) and instead say "Pirates are Pirates" or "Gamers are Pirates"

(Not that you said this, but just something that irks me about mainstream media in general)

Who knows...

I happened to finally switch to Windows 7 on my Main PC Friday, (Not for any reason other then I had a CD key for it, and I finally decided to use more then 4 gigs of Ram) I still like the XP format, but I like 8 gigs of ram more.

I've heard the same Doomsaying when Windows Vista, and Windows 7 both reared their respective ugly heads, I doubt Microsoft would shoot the only reason people use it, (Games and independent programs) I mean, that just seems silly from a purely business view.

The only reason I have to run Windows is for DirectX support. Microsoft's PR convinces everyone GL is inadequate and we can't get games to work under GNU. The entire Windows OS otherwise is completely ported to Wine without a problem.

But fuck Ubuntu. Used to love them until this Unity bullshit when they decided they know better than me how I need to use my computer. So disappointed.

?

if you hate unity, you can just install GNOME again, then uninstall unity, and with a few commands, yo uget the old GNOME interface back. I personally prefer unity

?

if you hate unity, you can just install GNOME again, then uninstall unity, and with a few commands, yo uget the old GNOME interface back. I personally prefer unity

That's legacy support they've stated will go away in a future version. I prefer Ubuntu's faster release cycle but I may go back to Debian because of Unity.

That's legacy support they've stated will go away in a future version. I prefer Ubuntu's faster release cycle but I may go back to Debian because of Unity.

here is the thing I am wondering:

Why does everybody hate unity? I find it works just fine save for a few bugs, but the only thing is it can be really unstable when using compiz. is it because just everybody got used to the GNOME interface, and was like, "Changing window managers? Fuck it, i am using a different distro," or is it just coded terribly and has some major bugs I am missing?