Power n Tekkit

badkruka

Am I the only one who thinks its to easy to create power so the supply and demand of power are very unbalanced?

I dont know if it possible but if it is I think you should add the possibility to set the difficult setting between 1-5 where 1 are standard config and 2-5 increases the amount of power each machine needs.

As it is now quarry needs average 60MJ/tic to run att full speed. Laser drill needs 400 MJ/tic to run at full speed and each of the other machine doesnt require that much MJ.

With a quarry it doesnt take that many runns before you start to have alot of stored ore and with Laser drill at full speed you get one ore each 25 sec and that is way to op since you dont even ruin the world to get the ore and it can be on non stop creating ores out of nothing.

So with higher need of power to run quarry and Laserdrill at full speed will increasethe time to aquire ore and that will increase the time it takes to get to late game. As it is now it doesnt take many days since you can easy get a quarry run at full speed.

If the power need for atleast quarry and Laser but also for other machines increases with higher difficult setting it would put back some challange creating a balance between supply and demand for the machine park and the powerplant and at level 5 would be nice that the balance are so tight you must struggle with your machine park vs powerplant to get it to work. Yes I know you can build alot of powerplants to get around it but I think those ppl will stay on level 1 anyway.

If anything, as long as Atomic Science stays as it is in Tekkit without a steam generation nerf or a turbine output nerf, the issue will persist, because 1 well designed Fusion Reactor is simply able to generate a MASSIVE overhead. I have a single 7x7 flood type fusion reactor that gets fed 2 cells every 6 minutes and creates enough steam for 100 large turbines. I have reused most parts of it ever since my first 4 large turbines and only added cheap conduits, liquiducts, steam funnels and magnets.

The thing about atomic science, I'm not sure the mod was intended to be used in the fashion we've started using it. None of the documentation on just AS mentions piping steam with anything more than steam funnels that are just basically smoke stacks so the steam rises up. When you place a turbine over a steam source as the mod intended you get a LOT of steam loss. As in real life, not all produced heat energy is converted into electrical energy. But when we start using liquiducts that entropic effect disappears. IMHO the best solution would be to continue to allow piping the steam away (as this is more in line with how real power is generated) but add back in the steam loss aspect at lower percentages than the turbine over steam source layout.

The thing about atomic science, I'm not sure the mod was intended to be used in the fashion we've started using it.

I am not really sure about that. With the kind of power dumps we have in Tekkit, an AS vanilla config would probably let the mod fade into obscurity, because building multiple reactor moduls with turbines is too cost-prohibitive, at least with default copper generation, which doesn't seem to account for AS' vast hunger for it. Magmatic engines can be easily produced in higher numbers in early stages of your tech tier. At the end of the day, we are still only using a small portion of the mod.

At the end of the day, while the fusion reactors seem immensely powerful, most people have farmed 10-20k (more than 21k in my case, the most of it farmed from nether ores) copper to get to the point where they are. It's not really imbalanced, because it is a massive resource dump of a very valuable metal, it just needs a little tweaking on the steam-side. Aafter all, building a second reactor with funnels, magnets and liquiducts is not really difficult, but building several hundred turbines is.

Even if Atomic sience are rebalanced it still doesnt solve the problem that its to easy to get alot of power. Im using biofuel and have a powerplant producing 4464 MJ/tic and that is way more then I ever gonna need. I still think a better way to aproach the problem is just to increase the power needed for each machine. But for ppl who just started playint tekkit its enough hard as it is now to get a working power system but when you have played awhile it get realy unbalanced. Thats why I wanna se a difficult setting between 1-5 that increases the power consumption or something like that.

I am not really sure about that. With the kind of power dumps we have in Tekkit, an AS vanilla config would probably let the mod fade into obscurity, because building multiple reactor moduls with turbines is too cost-prohibitive, at least with default copper generation, which doesn't seem to account for AS' vast hunger for it. Magmatic engines can be easily produced in higher numbers in early stages of your tech tier. At the end of the day, we are still only using a small portion of the mod.

You're absolutely right. But there's a threshold there. It IS far easier to pile up magmatic engines than cross the threshold and devote all the resources to building a new power generator. A controlled steady arc of resources to additional power generation, or a large spending spree with the outcome of even more power generation than before. It's up to us to decide what's the better option for ourselves or our group. I saw it as a great achievable goal to work towards building an efficient fusion generator.

Even if Atomic sience are rebalanced it still doesnt solve the problem that its to easy to get alot of power. Im using biofuel and have a powerplant producing 4464 MJ/tic and that is way more then I ever gonna need. I still think a better way to aproach the problem is just to increase the power needed for each machine. But for ppl who just started playint tekkit its enough hard as it is now to get a working power system but when you have played awhile it get realy unbalanced. Thats why I wanna se a difficult setting between 1-5 that increases the power consumption or something like that.

Choices my friend. Building a successfully operating self maintaining BioFuel power generator is a challenge in and of itself. Those building it want to build it. It's a great notch on your belt.

I was pumping lava out of the nether for a line of about 8 magmatic engines.

As I got further in, with the ME system, rednet, and quarries, I had aproximately 18 magmatic engines each.

Created fission reactor... got tired of not paying attention and running out of tin for deuterium cells when almost all my tin was being used for a massive space construct project.

Created a lava ocean world using mystcraft and transferred my pumps from nether to there and added another row of magmatic engines.

Magmatic engines require the least maintenance as did Geothermal on IC2... regardless. The machines may have changed but energy production is and has always been quite easy.

The only thing I can see changing during this time is a persons own experience on generating energy and it becoming easier for you to figure it out.