Modpack isn't working can someone help?

XtremeOwnage16

I am trying to make a modpack based around Tekkit with a few other mods (well I did have them in there until I had my error) and yeah.

The link to my pack is here: 
http://www.technicpa...modcraft.278615 (More work will be put into it once it starts working) and I cannot find my error report or else I'd post it here too. Can someone download it and tell me what's wrong and preferably how to fix this? Also if this is the wrong section I am sorry I just had no idea where to put this,

• Discord Moderator

The pack successfully starts for me, however, you have some problems.

1. You are using some VERY old versions of mods for 1.6.4. You should be getting your mods from the author's own distribution channels, NOT from random sites around the internet. 1.6.4 has been around for a while so there are many releases for many mods. Going right to the source is always best.
  2. You are using the modloader version of TreeCapitator instead of the Forge version. You need to be using the correct version of the mod. Had you been on the author's forum post where releases are provided you would have seen explicit instructions.
  3. Some of your mod files do not have version numbers in the name (bspkrscore for example). If you renamed them yourself don't do that. The version numbers help you easily know what version of the mod you have. In this instance you have v3.04 of bspkrscore and te latest version for 1.6.4 is v5.3.
  4. Your BuildCraft Additional Pipes mod is for Forge/MC version 1.2.5. You are a couple years out of date on this one. See #1.
  5. You have included IndustrialCraft in your pack. However, you have the .118 branch which isn't really being updated anymore. You probably want to be using the experimental branch since it is current and quite stable (and compatible with other mods).
  6. Last but not least, you REALLY need to include config files in your pack. I didn't get into ID conflict checking but as you add more mods you will almost surely have to deal with that. Without including config files you'll never be able to assure that there won't be ID conflicts for people trying to use the pack.

1. You are using some VERY old versions of mods for 1.6.4. You should be getting your mods from the author's own distribution channels, NOT from random sites around the internet. 1.6.4 has been around for a while so there are many releases for many mods. Going right to the source is always best.
  2. You are using the modloader version of TreeCapitator instead of the Forge version. You need to be using the correct version of the mod. Had you been on the author's forum post where releases are provided you would have seen explicit instructions.
  3. Some of your mod files do not have version numbers in the name (bspkrscore for example). If you renamed them yourself don't do that. The version numbers help you easily know what version of the mod you have. In this instance you have v3.04 of bspkrscore and te latest version for 1.6.4 is v5.3.
  4. Your BuildCraft Additional Pipes mod is for Forge/MC version 1.2.5. You are a couple years out of date on this one. See #1.
  5. You have included IndustrialCraft in your pack. However, you have the .118 branch which isn't really being updated anymore. You probably want to be using the experimental branch since it is current and quite stable (and compatible with other mods).
  6. Last but not least, you REALLY need to include config files in your pack. I didn't get into ID conflict checking but as you add more mods you will almost surely have to deal with that. Without including config files you'll never be able to assure that there won't be ID conflicts for people trying to use the pack.

Thanks and The Pipes were 1.2.5? Oh weird. And I got most of the mods from the authors forum or site. Like IC2 and Buildcraft. I couldn't find a link (I might've missed it) for the experimental IC2 and Treecapitator is MC and not Forge? But the site said forge....Wow..well thanks...if I have any more questions I'll be sure to respond here . Oh and I never renamed anything.

Edited by XtremeOwnage16

Ok so I updated my modpack and will not work again. Is it just a config file error (Cause I did add in a few more mods) oh and should I add in the NEI addons? Anyways can you tell me if it's just an error I can fix through config files (And where to find how to do that) and if it's not that mind telling me where I effed up again?

• Discord Moderator

Ok so I updated my modpack and will not work again. Is it just a config file error (Cause I did add in a few more mods) oh and should I add in the NEI addons? Anyways can you tell me if it's just an error I can fix through config files (And where to find how to do that) and if it's not that mind telling me where I effed up again?

• You include NEI and EnderStorage but do not have the CodeChickenCore parent library which they require.
  • You have Buildcraft 4.2.2 but include Additional Buildcraft Objects for version 4.1.2. Get the correct version (right from the author's posts/links, imagine that)
  • You don't include any config files with the pack. Why does no one do this? It is VERY likely that you will have a block/item/entity/biome conflict between mods if you don't get the configs right and distribute them with your pack.

Speaking very loosely, these are the steps you want to take when making a pack:

1. Get your pack working locally first. My "BareBonesPack" custom modpack can really help you here since it allows you to select which version of Forge/MC you want to use but has no other mods included.
  2. Add in mods a few at a time so you can get your config files tweaked properly. Make sure you have no conflicts. Even if MC starts you may still have a conflict. Open your most recent Forge client log and search for "CONFLICT". However, conflicts are only part of the challenge. You may need to tweak things like microblock configs or TreeCapitator to include tools and trees from other mods it may not include by default.
  3. Make a new folder somewhere with a "bin", "config" and "mods" folder. Copy the configs and mods from your test install over to the new structure. Then copy out ONLY the modpack.jar from your test environment to the new structure. Zip this up by going into the new folder, selecting all three folders (bin, config, mods) and (usually) right-clicking then select create new zip file using 7zip, WinZip or whatever you use. DO NOT make a RAR archive. It must be in ZIP format.

• You include NEI and EnderStorage but do not have the CodeChickenCore parent library which they require.
  • You have Buildcraft 4.2.2 but include Additional Buildcraft Objects for version 4.1.2. Get the correct version (right from the author's posts/links, imagine that)
  • You don't include any config files with the pack. Why does no one do this? It is VERY likely that you will have a block/item/entity/biome conflict between mods if you don't get the configs right and distribute them with your pack.
Speaking very loosely, these are the steps you want to take when making a pack:

• Get your pack working locally first. My "BareBonesPack" custom modpack can really help you here since it allows you to select which version of Forge/MC you want to use but has no other mods included.
  • Add in mods a few at a time so you can get your config files tweaked properly. Make sure you have no conflicts. Even if MC starts you may still have a conflict. Open your most recent Forge client log and search for "CONFLICT". However, conflicts are only part of the challenge. You may need to tweak things like microblock configs or TreeCapitator to include tools and trees from other mods it may not include by default.
  • Make a new folder somewhere with a "bin", "config" and "mods" folder. Copy the configs and mods from your test install over to the new structure. Then copy out ONLY the modpack.jar from your test environment to the new structure. Zip this up by going into the new folder, selecting all three folders (bin, config, mods) and (usually) right-clicking then select create new zip file using 7zip, WinZip or whatever you use. DO NOT make a RAR archive. It must be in ZIP format.
It amazes me how many people don't test their packs on the minecraft launcher locally before releasing it, as you're literally releasing an untested modpack.

Usually I test it here and make it hidden. Since I've been having problems however I made it public to get my questions answered

Why go through the hassle of having to upload a zip that may or may not work as a modpack and then add it to the platform and download it? Instead, just edit an existing modpack you have on the Technic Launcher, then you can quickly upload a working version.

Why go through the hassle of having to upload a zip that may or may not work as a modpack and then add it to the platform and download it? Instead, just edit an existing modpack you have on the Technic Launcher, then you can quickly upload a working version.

See I have a working zip on my dropbox and I've tested it both on the launcher and here. However I added in a few (like 3-5) more mods and then it stopped working. Sure it could be the wrong versions...but couldn't it also be config? Besides I am not good at changing config files so,