Challange: 9x9 or 11x11 plunge bore.

jakalth

Define plunge bore:  A mining machine designed to dig or "plunge" strait down into the ground.

This is a challenge just for fun, for those playing around with the newest version of tekkit.  The points don't really matter so feel free to give yourself a bonus of X points just for trying. ;)

Requirements:

1:The machine should be able to mine up a roughly 9x9 too 11x11 hole all the way down too bedrock.  If the hole is not square, that is just fine as well.

2: It needs to be unaffected by both lava and water.

3: It needs to be able to move it's self around as a single construct, as in being able to move too a completely new work site under it's own power.   Everything needed to operate it needs to be contained inside the machine with one exception.  Power can be produced remotely to save space and cost.

4: bonus points for making the machine using only vanilla, Redstone in motion, and Applied energistics.  Thermal Expansion can be used for power generation/transmission if required.

5: SUPER bonus points if you can make it mine down to bedrock automatically.

6: These kittens over here will be saved if the machine can return too the surface on its own after hitting bedrock.

Have fun with this challenge and remember, no picture = it did not happen. ;)

It might take some time, thanks to treacherous fuse

And i hadn't chance to try it thanks to same fuse.

But I can describe: It is made of purple frames

On the front, there is an 5*5 array of TE terrain smashers connected via itemducts with enderchest (other is connected to ME network)

Engine is controlled by timer which is cotrolled by BC gate on structure pipe (empty inventory -> redstone signal) placed next to another ender chest (second is on igneous extruder producing smooth stone) which is connected via itemducts to 5-line of TE Autonomous activators located 1 block above level where I want to build bridge. AAs on edges are set to aim level (It will place stone on and below level) and rest on aim low. and of course spotloader

O_o and all I've made so far is a vertical bore that brings the storage and ore processing with it.  Quite a simplistic build really.

The cutter head: Here

A side view of the plunge bore: Here

A look inside at the ore processing center and ME storage: Here

A look at the hole it dug: Here

Of the chalanges...

1: Check

2: Has issues with water and lava combining near it, it gets partly stuck and has to back out a bit before it can keep going.  So... half...

3: Storage, processing, and the machine it's self move as a single unit.  It can move in any direction.  so check.

4: Uses ME for storage and for the cutter head(transition plains), but TE is used internally for processing and power.  So...  half again.

5: Manually operated...  FAIL

6: Once again, manually operated from inside...  FAIL... poor kittens...

total points: Tee shirt save.

can't have all plains under it.  if I do that I have no way too hook the plains too the rest of the me network.  I'de have to remove one of the carriage frames to place the me cable.  and at that point, the transition plain under the me cable will not move with the rest of the bore.

and if I use the vertical support frames, the machine freaks out when it gets partly covered in water.

Edited by jakalth

I'm still learning how the different frames work, and how too apply them.  The orange frames make the most sense too me at the moment, cause they are the closest to how the old redpower frames worked.  And this design is based on an old redpower plunge bore design I had.

you might have too many blocks connected together.  otherwise, there might be an issue somewhere where the frames are connecting to the surrounding material.  are all the outside faces of the frames set to not connect(right click with rim screwdriver)?

try digging around the bore so that no solid block is in contact with any part of it, other then what is supposed to be touching it of course.it still does not move then, then there is either too many blocks or some of the blocks inside it are not being supported by the frame.

Ok, wow...  I feel dumb now...  made an exact copy of my plunge bore using template carriages.  Clicked to lock the pattern to a single carriage block. then filled in the design.  Works better then I could of hoped.  Now I can add in "water injection" too nullify lava and make the tunnel bore impervious to pretty much any terrain type.  I'll upload pics of the new design when I have it finalized.

One question for opinion sake(and cause I haven't figured it out yet).  What would be a workable way to remotely control the mining bore?  Tried using wireless redstone and project red wires, but the wireing kept getting signal lock causing the carriage motor to repeatedly cycle when I only wanted one cycle.

Have you tryed rednet cable as a signal carrier if it is the wire that is messing it up?

Otherwise you should be able to use a vanlilla redstone comparator as a switch since it will close if a stronger rednet signal enters from the side of it then what is comming in from the back. Put a delay on the repeater so a signal first go throu and then be cut of by the repeaters signal.

This should probably be able to be done with rednet + programmable rednet controller aswell but not sure since I never have dug into that one. I use computer + rednet cable instead.

BJG9hqh.png

Edited by badkruka

O_o and all I've made so far is a vertical bore that brings the storage and ore processing with it.  Quite a simplistic build really.

The cutter head: Here

A side view of the plunge bore: Here

A look inside at the ore processing center and ME storage: Here

A look at the hole it dug: Here

Of the chalanges...

1: Check

2: Has issues with water and lava combining near it, it gets partly stuck and has to back out a bit before it can keep going.  So... half...

3: Storage, processing, and the machine it's self move as a single unit.  It can move in any direction.  so check.

4: Uses ME for storage and for the cutter head(transition plains), but TE is used internally for processing and power.  So...  half again.

5: Manually operated...  FAIL

6: Once again, manually operated from inside...  FAIL... poor kittens...

total points: Tee shirt save.

This may be a total idiot question, but what are you using to the actual block breaking on your rig?

The cutter head is applied energistics transition plains.  The directly transfer blocks that touch their black side into your me network.  But in doing so, they also act like a pickaxe.  so blocks like redstone ore become redstone dust in your me network.

Rebuilt design.  this time using template carriage blocks.  I'm not completely sold on this design though, it has limited the machine to only being able too move in 2 axis.  Compaired too the 3 axis free movement of my previous design.

View of the cutter head: This time it is a solid 11x11 square of transition plains.

View of the side of the machine:  It only looks different around the cutter head, where I now have a channel for water too flow through so lava can't solidify on top of the machine.  The water can be turned on or off from inside using a switch.

View of the side of the machine with water turned on:  When the plunge bore is in the ground, the water flows completely around the channel in the cutter head, unlike in this picture.  It works quite well in operation completely preventing the machine from getting stuck in lava.  And as a bonus, it converts some of the lava under it into obsidian so I can still collect some of the good stuff.

View of the inside of the machine:  The switch in the center controls the water in the cutter head.  The me system auto processes the ores as they come in and stored them nicely for use later.  The carriage engine is auto cycled when descending into the ground by the timer and switch controls above it.  The button on each side of the engine moves the whole machine left or right.  There is a second timer-switch setup under the engine so the ascent back out of the ground is auto cycled as well.

I can still use a translocator too move the whole plunge bore too a new location if I want too.  the block it needs too be attached too is on the outside of the machine though.  It requires a piller up too 11 blocks high being built to allow the machine to translocate without being buried in the ground.  This does mostly make up for the fact that the plunge bore can only move up/down, or left/right.  But it's not really the same... :

Does the computercraft controled carriage allow 3 axis movement?  If so, I will eventually need to learn how to learn how to use that and figure out how to actually program the computer.  Programing is not something I am all that good it....

terrain smashers use no energy to operate...  where is the fun in that? ;)  Besides, they both seem to operate at the same speed, so it's just a matter of preference when it cmes down too it.  and cost.  probably cost as well.

Also, you can not point terrain smashers down.  they can only point forwards.

On a side note: I did find out what was really the problem with remote controlling it.  Wireless redstone locks up when moved by the carriages and looses it's link with the set channel(resets back to channel 0 even though it still says it's on the channel set).  So, it was not the wiring after all.

Edited by jakalth

but that's not part of the challenge :P

Yeah, I guess.  But

Also, you can not point terrain smashers down.  they can only point forwards.

changes everything! D:  All my plans come to nothing!  AE it is, I guess.

I'm never going to be able to afford those though, at least not for a while.  I suppose I could just use tunnel bores and quarries until then.

Edited by dwwojcik