Poppet shelves killing server

WauloK

Hi.

We're running the latest available Attack server.

We just decided to test a Poppet Shelf to see if it'd be good for keeping chunks loaded.

The server has been stable for a week (which is how long it's existed) but now with a Poppet Shelf it is suddenly running out of RAM.

The server detects an Out of Memory problem and kills JAVA on the server.

Out of memory: Kill process 24649 (java) score 214 or sacrifice child
Killed process 24649, UID 502, (java) total-vm:6312012kB, anon-rss:552788kB, file-rss:200kB

Does this happen to anyone else?

We have 4Gb running on a CentOS VPS.

Cheers.

i agreed with Kalbintion, the poppet shelf it self wont cause to much harm, its if there are spawners filling the dimention or other mods that are being loaded by the poppet shelf that are more likely to cause the issue, id say if you can grab a log it may help, go read Bug Tracker guidelines and Rules and Post in the Bug Tracker with a log for your best help

We have three poppet shelves keeping three adjacent chunks loaded that contain an inventory system, a set of pulverisors/furnaces and six spawners (2 each zombie, skeleton, witch) running into two auto spawners that spawn various mobs all the time into grinders. No problems there. The server is an MC Pro Hosting Iron plan server, so it only has 1600MB RAM. A 4GB server should have no problem with one shelf unless there's a billion entities getting spawned in that chunk as well. Our system all has grinders or other means that kill the mobs, so nothing lives for more than a few seconds. But the inventory system runs constantly keeping a few players topped off in torches and food while they are off doing things. That system also automatically extracts ores from their inventory and shunts them through the pulverisors/furnaces for automatic smelting and back into the inventory system for storage.

I can have a look underground, but we used F9 to display the chunk and the only thing we put on the surface near it were saplings to see if they'd grow while we are offline to test the chunk loading abilities of the shelf.

The server was running without crashing for a week before we tested installing a shelf.

Edited by WauloK

1600mb of ram for a AOTBT server is a lil light..say like 4 player max slots.

when you think of how the launcher need 3gb just to run the game.

(If you can edit the launch bat you may be able to add a gcflag)

So yes I'd agree try not to use chunk loaders on your server as this mod pack is a bit ram heavy

I can have a look underground, but we used F9 to display the chunk and the only thing we put on the surface near it were saplings to see if they'd grow while we are offline to test the chunk loading abilities of the shelf.

The server was running without crashing for a week before we tested installing a shelf.

There's something else wrong then, but take out the poppet shelf for a while, see what happens, Like I said, we have three running a bunch of stuff active in those chunks on much less memory with no issues.

Try the poppet shelf in a different chunk maybe?

So yes I'd agree try not to use chunk loaders on your server as this mod pack is a bit ram heavy

That's what MC Pro recommends for a FTB server, so we figured it would be good enough for AOTBT, with 33 players slots, and it's run nicely so far. A server doesn't need as much RAM as the client does, I guess.

The game runs fine on most peoples machines from 1.5GB to 3GB. So saying 3GB is absolutely necessary for single player isn't entirely true.

Yup. Removed the puppet shelf and it has remained stable the last 24 hours.

If you want, replace the shelf and post a proper issue on the tracker (link available in signature below, along with tracker guidelines) so I can take a better look at it along with the log files to perhaps see what the issue is. If you know the chunk coordinates or the location (X/Y/Z) you can use a tool developed by dinnerbone to get the region file name and upload it as well so I can take a closer look at the region file itself and the nearby chunks and come up with ideas of what the lag would have been caused by. If you need help getting to the region file or getting logs let me know before you post a tracker report about this.

Edited by Kalbintion

I'll see if I can get that tomorrow night. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the issue with the server outright killing all Java processes, Minecraft does not have the chance to write a log file. Once it's out of memory it's killed.

One of our admins has placed a bunch of poppet shelves and it seems to be working now. Not sure what went on as there's no logs but thanks for all the help.

Thanks for the update, it's good to know the outcome. :)

If you do find out what caused it (possibly something in or near that chunk?) please post back here so other people can potentially avoid it on their own servers.