Diamonds?

Nymru

Hey folks,

In previous versions of tekkit, it was possible to locate diamonds using the divining rod or through making industrial diamonds.

In this version, these options are gone. What has come to replace them? :)

Thanks!

~Nymru

Edited by Nymru

Oh.. I've been mining below y=15 for like hours now and only found 3... so unlucky.

Also how do you wire energy now? I don't see any wires in the wiki. If I want to combine the outputs of several redstone engines for example?

Redstone engines are history.

Buildcraft engines and machines are still present in Tekkit. Redstone engines are still useful for some applications like powering pumps or BC pipes if you prefer those over TE's ducts.

Even without mystcraft I never had a problem getting enough diamonds with just quarries. With mystcraft it's just child's play lol. EE3 lets you make them still using a minium stone and 4 gold ingots so there's an alternative for you as well I guess.

As for wiring energy, you can still use BC pipes to wire energy (for some stuff anyway) but the more efficient method by far are conduits from TE3. They have minimal loss and don't explode when overloaded :P You can also do wireless energy transfer using tesseracts, which also let you send items and liquids.

Redstone engines can not output power to wires/batteries, only to the machine next to them. For example, I could hook up 4 redstone engines to a pump to extract water/lava/oil or use them with a wooden pipe to pull items out of an inventory block like a chest. The only BC engines that can output power are the sterling and combustion models.

Edited by Digdug83

Mine the hard way for exactly 11 diamonds (14 if you want an early diamond pickaxe, too), then build a quarry and let that one get the rest. You could also use Equivalent Exchange, starting with village-bought Emeralds, to get into transmuting early.

Yeah I have the quarry now, but for powering it...

I am new to TE, so I am quite unsure about many things.

1 main thing though. Is the power or energy that you get from certain generators used by all machines in all mods from tekkit? So for example: Can a steam dynamo from thermal expansion power the quarry through a conduit?

Thanks for all the help guys, you are building another Tekkit-er (?) :) !

Yes, you must use a conduit here, it's converting RF to MJ for the quarry to work.

Edit: If you use Thermal Expansion with MJ based mods (like Buildcraft) you need a conduit but if you are using it with mods that 'understand' RF you can put it block to block without a conduit like an ender-thermic pump with an energy cell.

As for powering the quarry:

1. Find oil. Go with buckets or a pump and store it in some Thermal Expansion tanks (they are portable - use crescent hammer).

2. Craft a refinery and some fluiducts to convert oil to fuel.

3. Build some compression dynamos and feed them with fuel and water.

4. Result - long term early game power source. Store it in energy cells.

You can build this setup on the quarry. It's not the best but is great at the early game level (keep in mind chunk loading).

As for the super huge amounts of cobblestone, dirt and gravel try Deep Storage Units.

Edited by bochen415

Thanks for the response. One question though, how do you feed the oil/water to the refinery?

1.Put refinery on floor.

2. Connect oil with fluiduct to the back (the wider side).

3. Connect the fuel output fluiduct to the narrower side. Insert servo to the fluiduct connection. Set it with crescent hammer to the red glowing arrow (to pump out the fuel).

4. Connect power input to the side or the top.

I'll upload some photo in a few minutes.

Edit: refinery needs oil input, fuel output an power provided. Not water.

You will need water in the compression dynamos later with the fuel.

Oil goes to the left. Fuel comes out the right.

Edit 2: The photo:

5VoTbLo.png

Behind the refinery is a full hardened energy cell set to output to top and connected to the refinery.

You will burn some energy while refining but you will get many more energy with the resulting fuel.

Edited by bochen415

the side doesn't matter btw.

not sure about the bottom, but you can generally use any side to supply oil and power and pump the refined fuel out at any side...

If you don't want to use a servo, you can also just supply the fluiduct with a redstone signal (you still have to switch it to extraction mode using the crescent hammer)

in later game, once you have tesseracts, you can put the tesseract directly on top of your quarry and connect it using 2 conduits (at least hardened ones)

the tesseract is counting as a valid inventory (as long as it has a receiving end) <-- this should be the easiest and fastest quarry setup :)

Edited by HeatHunter

the side doesn't matter btw.

not sure about the bottom, but you can generally use any side to supply oil and power and pump the refined fuel out at any side...

I lived in a lie for so long..

Update! This is what I got so far :) (see image below)

It works really well, the fuel lasts for ages. I already got a filler to put a single layer of dirt over the nasty hole it's made. I will probably just keep making quarries like this (maybe a bit further away) to try get lots of ferrous/diamond.

What do you guys suggest is next? :)

vMwIF1S.jpg

Start getting yourself ready to make a pair of tesseracts(or ender chests if your playing single player and don't want to deal with tesseracts yet).  to do this, you'll want to hope for at least 2 shiny metal, which you get(with a small chance) from running ferrous ore through a pulverizer, or by a series of steps involving redstone ore blocks(gotten with a silk touch pickaxe) in the pulverizer to get cinnabar, and running cinnabar and ferrous ore together in an induction smelter(100% chance of shiny using this tedious method).

You'll also want to start hunting down endermen, cause you'll need 16 ender pearls(eventually smelted in a magma crucible) to make the two tesseracts.  You might get lucky and find ender lily seeds in a dungeon chest.  These can grow ender pearls, but at a very slow rate.  Growing them on dirt is slow, end stone grows them faster, but ender core blocks grow them the fastest(as fast as wheat), and cost a rediculous amount to make...

Using tesseracts, you'll be able to keep your power system at your base, and still be able to move your quarry to a distant location to mine up ores.  This way the area around your base can stay nice.  also makes running power through a spread out base easier and lets you power remote outposts from a single centralized power supply.

A small Yellorium reactor and a Minefactory Reloaded farming chain should be up next. Don't let people bug you into getting Enderium so early. It is expensive and takes many steps to make.

You might want to look >here for more inspiration.

Update! This is what I got so far :) (see image below)

It works really well, the fuel lasts for ages. I already got a filler to put a single layer of dirt over the nasty hole it's made. I will probably just keep making quarries like this (maybe a bit further away) to try get lots of ferrous/diamond.

What do you guys suggest is next?

It's nice. I like it very much.

Craft some copper/iron/silver/gold chests for the quarry (in the place of the double chest) and for the base maybe. NEI is your guide.

Your armor is weak... Craft some invar armor for this time.

Craft some backpacks with leather for enlarging your inventory.

Wait... Are you taking the fuel by hand from the refinery... Bring one more fluiduct and connect the fuel to the top of the dynamos... focus, it's tricky when you put fluiducts close to one another.. Modify the fuel tank to fill (from refinery) from above and connect dynamos from below.

And the most important part: don't listen to me.. Do it as you want it. With your ideas.

PS. Oh you found oil in the quarry pit... Don't look down. Don't stand on the orange frame because the shift button will not stop you from falling. It's a long way down.

Edit: Oh.. you've got rubber trees to the right. Nice start to Minefactory Reloded.

Edit 2: If you find some ruby / peridot / sapphire you can make really cheap tools.. Your shovel is about to break. ;)

Edit 3: Give yourself a shot... with xp extractor of course and have an empty bucket when doing this. You don't want to run in your world with this much xp. Put it in a tank and hide in the base.

If you'll need it you can drink it (with a straw).

Edited by bochen415

It's nice. I like it very much.

Craft some copper/iron/silver/gold chests for the quarry (in the place of the double chest) and for the base maybe. NEI is your guide.

Your armor is weak... Craft some invar armor for this time.

Craft some backpacks with leather for enlarging your inventory.

Wait... Are you taking the fuel by hand from the refinery... Bring one more fluiduct and connect the fuel to the top of the dynamos... focus, it's tricky when you put fluiducts close to one another.. Modify the fuel tank to fill (from refinery) from above and connect dynamos from below.

And the most important part: don't listen to me.. Do it as you want it. With your ideas.

PS. Oh you found oil in the quarry pit... Don't look down. Don't stand on the orange frame because the shift button will not stop you from falling. It's a long way down.

Edit: Oh.. you've got rubber trees to the right. Nice start to Minefactory Reloded.

Edit 2: If you find some ruby / peridot / sapphire you can make really cheap tools.. Your shovel is about to break. ;)

Edit 3: Give yourself a shot... with xp extractor of course and have an empty bucket when doing this. You don't want to run in your world with this much xp. Put it in a tank and hide in the base.

If you'll need it you can drink it (with a straw).

Haha yeah some things have changed.

I will look into those chests and my armor, nice tip.

I already have the big backpack and indeed hooked up the fuel directly to the dynamos. 

However, as you said, I did find oil. And I've been putting a pump above the quarry to extract it everytime. It takes ages for it to get down to the oil's level though... is there a faster way to do this? Similarly, if there's water flowing in from the sides (or sewage/etc), how can you get rid of it without having to go all the way down? Lava is easy as you throw water over it, but the rest?

And yeah, I've been planting the rubber trees as I found a few :)

Thanks so far!

Edit:

A small Yellorium reactor and a Minefactory Reloaded farming chain should be up next. Don't let people bug you into getting Enderium so early. It is expensive and takes many steps to make.

You might want to look >here for more inspiration.

Thanks, I will read in the wiki about it too :)

Edit: Also, I'm not sure, but my yellorite smelts into uranium?? I have almost 2 stacks of it now.. I reinstalled tekkit the first time as I wasn't sure, but now I kept it as it is...?
Edited by Nymru

Correct. Uranium (that's the same as yellorium ingots in the ore dictionary). Look out for radiation. Don't poison yourself.... Like I did.

Later you can use a unifier from MFR to convert your ingots/items to another if you want only yellorite in your chests (or only uranium).

Note: pulverize ores first (uranium gives yellowcake - poisonous if in your inventory!). Then smelt, you'll have a ton of uranium/yellorium. Again - don't poison yourself. Automate it with itemducts with servos not to touch yellowcake.

For the fluids in the quarry pit there are 2 ways as members play tekkit:

1. Leave it out. The quarry will dig through them except oil but that's good.

2. Keep the quarry clean. Get a jetpack (maybe simply jetpacks mod), maybe some enchanted boots for the falling and go there and pump it out (pump, ender-thermic pump, tanks, drums, ender tanks, etc.)

Personally I'm on 2. I go for some ladders and mine a hole in the quarry side, go down when see oil and pump it. In my advanced (mid - late game level) world I just jetpack there and also pump everything out. The main thing is I also use BC pumps. You can also do a 1 level filler with gravel to bury the fluids. Your choice. Just don't swim in sludge or sewage. That's bad for your skin.. ;)

Gonna go now. Have a skeleton visitors... :)

Edit: Actually there's another way with quarry pit fluids but I'm a noob at Modular Force Field System so I'm not obligated to explain it.

Edited by bochen415

There is a meter for the power fist that can find ores. I am not quite sure what the numbers mean, but when the numbers were high I did find diamonds. You need an emerald for the tinker table, but I have found villagers that will trade wool or wheat for an emerald, so in a few MC days I had enough emeralds for the tinker table and minium stone.

Note that besides diamonds, emeralds can be cooked in the Calcifier to make minium dust to make a minium stone. Once you have a minium stone, an Igneous Extruder and one or more Aqueous Accumulators can turn lava and water into obsidian, obsidian into iron, iron blocks into gold blocks, and gold blocks into diamond blocks (or gold ingots into diamonds if you do not have a pumped lava source and cyclic assemblers set up yet).

However, as you said, I did find oil. And I've been putting a pump above the quarry to extract it everytime. It takes ages for it to get down to the oil's level though... is there a faster way to do this? Similarly, if there's water flowing in from the sides (or sewage/etc), how can you get rid of it without having to go all the way down? Lava is easy as you throw water over it, but the rest?

You can put a pump on top of the quarry (as you did) connect some power and tanks with fluiducts and... leave the perimeter.

The whole quarry site is force loaded so anything above the quarry runs all the time you play (press F9 couple times and look at the sky) even if you're not there. You can leave it and go do something else. Don't just stand there and watch the pump nozzle come down. There's plenty other stuff to do.

Do some parallel processing :)