World converter to new tekkit

yes i realize the next Tekkit update in no where close to ready. I'm starting a new server with friends on the current tekkit version.

I'm going to remove forestry before starting it, but my concern is will the world still be corrupted when we update to the 1.2.5 version of tekkit eventually?

I would hate for all of us to put in so much work on a survival server to then have to start over.

thoughts or ideas?

yes i realize the next Tekkit update in no where close to ready. I'm starting a new server with friends on the current tekkit version.

I'm going to remove forestry before starting it, but my concern is will the world still be corrupted when we update to the 1.2.5 version of tekkit eventually?

I would hate for all of us to put in so much work on a survival server to then have to start over.

thoughts or ideas?

I did the same thing, started a new non-forestry world.

I will save the map and make sure it's backed up multiple times and then I will try any world conversions possible if it doesn't play well.

I hope everything works out. We recently reset the world, so another reset would annoy a few people.

thoughts or ideas?

In my opinion, worlds made on heavily modded versions of minecraft should be seen as a sort of standalone version. So much can change between releases that it is almost unrealistic to expect your world to be compatible between versions.

Take the upgrade of thaumcraft for example, or the removal of forestry. How do you transition that? I believe that if you expect to keep your world going indefinitely, you either need to stay on vanilla, or stay on a specific version of a mod pack that you are happy with. If you really want to upgrade your server but you really like your world... Well, all good things must come to an end.

This is just my opinion of course, if the world works fine or someone makes a converter, great. I will be starting a new world either way. For me half the fun is getting settled in the world and building up my house and machinery. I don't tend to stick around and build tons of useless buildings and incredibly elaborate setups that I will never actually use. I know some people enjoy that, to each their own. :)

So I deleted Forestry before starting a new world so the Forestry ore wouldn't load on world creation.

So far so good after 24 hours

The only thing we have noticed is the bronze ingots can only be made by putting the dust together and then through a furnace. If you try doing 3 copper ingots and 1 tin the game crashes.

I also backed this world up and loaded it onto the dev build of technic where everything also ran very well and all the major mods loaded correctly. Also noticed it converted part of the biomes to Jungle correctly.

This gives me hope when 3.0 comes out we wont need a world converter.

jakj pointed out in a different thread that even if Forestry blocks and items silently disappear after the mod is removed, that only counts for chunks, players, and chests that get visited or used. If some future version then reuses those IDs for something else, and you stumble into a chunk that nobody's visited in ages, *boom*. At best, now all those apatite ore blocks suddenly become some other harmless block, at worst it could be some block that you don't want scattered all over the place, or cause crashes as the new block type is no longer properly set up with other info it needs, like tile entity data.

Nobody's stepped forward to do a world converter yet, but it's still early. If nobody does, I'll probably just tweak havokx42's previous converter for my own server, at least.