Finite Liquids Mod Support For 7.0.1 SSP Dev Build

jakj

Now available: Patch for Technic dev build to make the Finite Liquids mod work.

Technic SSP 7.0.1

Finite Liquids 5.6

Installation: After installing Finite Liquids into modpack.jar, copy agh.class, ame.class, bb.class, pb.class, and vd.class into modpack.jar. Copy TilePump.class into the Buildcraft factory zip, and Utils.class into the Buildcraft core zip.

(Added mini-mod to add recipes to make water and lava cells using FL buckets.

Known issues:

Occasional crash saying cannot cast ame to sn. Cause unknown; sporadic.

Underground lava pools use "ocean" blocks instead of normal Finite blocks, so they simply disappear instead of flowing.

When a flowing pool is near-empty, some small remnants may be left behind when the ground is dry directly under the pump. Use a bucket to collect those bits and place them under the pump's spigot to get it to suck them up.

Pumping flowing pools is slower than in vanilla because it does bits at a time instead of always one full block.

(Buildcraft is open-source, so nobody start bitching about including the source files. No source provided for the Finite Liquids fix because I didn't change any code.)

A little interesting info about Finite Liquids

First, there are two types of blocks: normal, and "ocean". The normal ones dynamically flow, acting exactly like real water (except with no momentum, so no waves). The "ocean" blocks replicate themselves while still connected to the ocean, but if any ocean is cut off from the source (it tracks the shoreline), all of the ocean blocks are turned into normal flowing blocks. (This ocean business is necessary because your computer would melt if you took a bucket of water out of the ocean and it then had to recalculate the flow of the entire ocean.)

When you use a bucket on the ocean, it fills the bucket but leaves the water there. When you break a block on the shoreline (thereby receeding the shore), it advances the waterline to fit the shore.

May 13 Edit:

Patch now updated to fix a slight bug in the mod I discovered, and also to include support for the 4096 blockfix patch. Everything in the FiniteLiquid5.6TechnicPatchMay13.zip still goes in modpack.jar, after the 4096 fix is installed. (The patch should in theory work even without that fix installed, but I haven't tested it.)

IMPORTANT - The 4096 patch is still not 100% perfect, nor is Finite Liquid, and I have discovered an incompatibility: If you use block IDs above 255 for Finite Liquid blocks (in this specific crash, the oceanic lava block), Minecraft will crash during dungeon generation when getting the materials for nearby blocks. (I tried to track the issue down, but I had no success, because I started getting deep enough into Minecraft internals that I got overwhelmed and pulled back out. But basically, for some strange reason, the ID is getting its bits chopped off above the last eight. I think it has something to do with how Minecraft stores block IDs in chunks separated by the last 8 bits and the first 4 bits. I just don't know.)

For now, you must allocate Finite Liquid block IDs below 256. All other mods seem to work fine with the 4096 fix, though, so you can just move some out of the way to make it work.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Finite Water Discussion

I've never used it myself, makes my toaster die painfully whilst generating water.

I'll give it a shot; My toaster has a few more cylinders. ;-) But the question of modifying Buildcraft to make it pump that water may be moot if it screws up Redpower and Better Dungeons landmarks. :-( Oh well.

As far as I know, the game still contains the default water and lava source blocks, it just replaces the regularly spawning water and lava with its finite version, so I'd imagine RP and BD stuff would be fine.

Oh! Now, that inspires me with hope.

You may grovel if you wish, I shall look favourably on you in the future.

I'm Greek: We don't grovel. We treat our gods with wary respect and plenty of sacrifices to keep them from bothering us. ;-)

It depends on just how much you want your pumps to destroy the ocean.

If it were a rec build, I probably would do it for me, but there's no point right now. Was just wondering if anyone else cared enough. *shrug* In the mean time I'll just stick with my own tweak to make water finite.

I think I figured out a way to make those little lava bits not linger when they're pumped out, too, but I have to test it still.

I'd love having "true"* infinite liquids! Though I'd expect them to work with all the pumps in the game as well (redpower, IC2, BC, something else?).

*) Aesthetic stuff would probably be hard to preserve as it's not trivial to figure out what actually is aesthetic and what isn't. RP2 volcanoes should be relatively easy, natural mountain rivers (do these even exist?) probably not so much. Then again it would be rather awesome if those RP2 volcanoes would actually actively (slowly) produce new lava to flow down the mountain sides. Obviously there would have to be some limit so that it wouldn't eventually overflow the entire world.

Yeah, most of that would be major new coding inside mods. Not gonna happen unless you can convince Eloraam or Joslin of it. I think the Explosives+ mod can create an erupting volcano, though; I seem to recall a Yog video about it.

You actually can create fountains, it just involves more work. You'd need to use Djoslins pipe/grate system, and it would have to work more like a real fountain.

You actually can create fountains, it just involves more work. You'd need to use Djoslins pipe/grate system, and it would have to work more like a real fountain.

Oh, that's...kind of neat, actually. Worth a look. I will aboslutely do a class-merge when the rec build comes out to try that.

Re: Finite Water Discussion + Fix For 7.0.1 SSP Dev Build

?_? In one hour i will be home, and booting up my machine to play this, instability be damned.

For the record, what I did was merge any class that was already included in modpack.jar, and anything that was not in modpack.jar I left alone. So, I can personally guarantee (because I looked at the code) that the five classes I merged are compatible, but subtle errors may have been introduced by the rest. Let me know if you find any.

Re: Finite Water Discussion + Fix For 7.0.1 SSP Dev Build

Yeah, this is pretty difficult. At this point, I'm going to just try and let things percolate in everyone's minds and see if anything pops out.

The biggest issue is actually the point of the mod: Everything is in fractions of a block of water; Even the FL pump works that way.

From looking at the code, the easiest starting place would be to extend and override the FL pump, simply inserting a different check at the time it attempts to output, which is just to search for an adjacent BC tank block and put water in it if found. (Or it could put source blocks into an adjacent chest if found.)

A better solution would be to search for an adjacent BC pipe to put something into (like Forestry harvesters do), or else to implement a sided inventory interface and let a powered wooden pipe pull source blocks or buckets from it as if it were a chest.

Anyway, it's a bit of work, which means it's time for me to eat a square of cheesecake.

I would recommend just making FL pipes BC tank compatible, and then making BC pipes FL pump compatible. probably would be an easier solution, depends on how difficult the coding is. If not, you could have an overide to where tanks automatically store water in them that comes near them, not sure if that is possible.

It works! Pumping lava and water pools and lakes now 100% supported and balanced. Still that weird crash, but it's sporadic, so hopefully is just a transient issue.

Post here with issues.