Finite Liquids Mod Support For 7.0.1 SSP Dev Build

jakj

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*cough* :P

Yeah, Jay seemed to be significantly interested in having this mod working, so I went ahead and did that this morning. Of course it would be valuable if others test it too.

This requires new chunks to be generated with proper blocks, right? If so then too bad, I'm almost finished with my 50x50x70 quarry hole in the ground where I intended to test how well I can drain the oceans with RP2 pumps and finite liquid would probably have been awesome there :D

Also, does this work with just BC or with IC and RP pumps as well?

I'll probably still make a test world to see how it works.

This requires new chunks to be generated with proper blocks, right?

For naturally-occurring water and lava, yes. It can also be spawned in via NEI in bucket form.

does this work with just BC or with IC and RP pumps as well?

Only BC pumps. RP pumps are unnecessary with this water because FL comes with a pump that works pretty much the same way the RP pump does (including a water-sensor block). It won't work at all with IC pumps, and honestly, I feel that the miner/pump part of IC is its weakest and least interesting element, so it'd take a lot of convincing to make me bother. :P

Only BC pumps. RP pumps are unnecessary with this water because FL comes with a pump that works pretty much the same way the RP pump does (including a water-sensor block).
Main reason I love RP pumps so much is that they have insane range. I guess with finite liquids the range is as big as the pumped liquid pool is?

It won't work at all with IC pumps' date=' and honestly, I feel that the miner/pump part of IC is its weakest and least interesting element, so it'd take a lot of convincing to make me bother. :P[/quote']Assuming that it's possible to create water cells (coolant cells for nuclear plants) with the empty cell + water bucket recipe it won't be a showstopper. If not then it is kind of bad.

Main reason I love RP pumps so much is that they have insane range. I guess with finite liquids the range is as big as the pumped liquid pool is?

If you're dealing with a finite pool (not connected to the ocean), it will suck the entire pool dry (assuming the pump is placed so the spigot can reach the lowest level of the pool), though you may need a bucket to move the last little driblets under the spigot.

If you're dealing with something connected to the ocean (like lava in the nether, a long winding river that connects to the ocean in the distance), it's pretty much still an infinite water source (as it should be, really, considering it would be affected by the evaporation/preciptation cycle).

Assuming that it's possible to create water cells (coolant cells for nuclear plants) with the empty cell + water bucket recipe it won't be a showstopper. If not then it is kind of bad.

It wouldn't be difficult to add a recipe that simply converts back and forth between vanilla and FL buckets, and you could use auto-crafting tables or project tables to do the interchange.

I'm pretty sure you can use a RP deployer on a BC tank to fill buckets, and you can also dig a hole to the bottom of a pool and use a deployer with buckets to fill them from a pool.

(So basically, you can do it just like you do now, either by using buckets on water or by pumping. I can write a quickie mod to add bucket<->bucket recipes later if you really need, but it would probably be a lot easier to just get your buckets from a filled BC tank.

Couldn't you just add a FL Bucket -> RP/BC Cell recipe instead? Makes more sense than a bucket to bucket one IMO.

I could, but people might complain about inequal resource utilization of 3 iron v. 0.25 tin.

What about FL bucket + empty cell -> BC water cell + empty bucket?

Yeah, that would be a good idea. This should take only a couple minutes, so I'll try throwing it together now before work.

Herp-a-derp, direct bucket trading doesn't work because it dupes buckets. Durr. And for some reason, it's not letting me access the Ic2 items even though they're clearly right there. Damnit, Java, I've done this before; Let me in!

I'll mess with it after work.

This was what I was suggesting :P

I'm a bit dim.

Really? I didn't think there were more than a few people who wanted it. Doing a merge like this isn't difficult, just fiddly and complicated.

Are there any other wanted-for-a-long-time ones out there? Little blocks I know of, but that would be too major an effort for one person, because for every mod block you have to create a custom renderer as well as simulate user interaction, tile entities, and tick updates.

I'll take a look later. Is it mostly the need for class merging that holds these back?

I have no clue. I have a passing interest in Advanced Power Systems, and an even lesser interest in planes, and absolutely zero interest in rocket science. These are just the things people keep whining about in the suggestion board.

• Forum Administrators

Ones that come to mind are Rocket science addon for IC2, Advanced Power Systems for Buildcraft, and flans plane mod.

Advanced Power Systems for buildcraft is pretty neat, although I don't know what needs to be 'fixed' besides the mod itself to stop being so unstable. Flans Plane Mod is so gross from the outside I'd ever expect someone to actually go in there and try to fix anything. I have always wanted Flan's vehicles to run off of Buildcraft/IC2 fuel though. The gas cans from IC2 especially, its like made for it!

The best suggestions to make are mods that have compatibility issues, like ones that conflict with Forge or other Technic mods, because those are the easiest to get working.

Actually going into the code to change behavior is more problematic, but some things are feasible, like if something takes fuel as items in a slot, or needs to account for additional weapons. (Basically, when the change is something like editing an array, list, map, switch statement, chained conditional, or loop, or maybe simple constants.

Of course, if the mod is open source, the difficulties drop away and anything is possible. The issue with decpmpiling mods is most are written so poorly (like forestry...sweet jesus that mod) that they don't recompile cleanly, forcing a lot of recompile/decompile/diff cycles and a lot of finagling with fake dependency glue.

I looked at the three suggested above.

1) Flan's Mod: Neither it nor its model-maker thingydoodle even modify any base classes, so there shouldn't be any conflicts at all. If someone is getting a specific error message or knows of something it doesn't play nice with, let me know, and I can take a specific look.

2) Advanced Power Systems: Looks like this hasn't been updated since 1.1? Since it's a closed-source mod, that basically means it won't be, because decompiling it + fixing decompilation errors + porting to new version + testing new version may as well just -> rewrite mod from scratch.

3) Ic2 rocket science: I can't even find a link for this. Google just gives me a bunch of people requesting it (including a search hit for the Technic 6.0 suggestion thread o_O). If you can give me a link to it, I can check it out.