I attempted, and failed Dwarf Fortress

So this forum spouts lakes and lakes of praise for dwarf fortress, and being the stubborn, I can do anything better than you, kinda guy that I am; attempted to play Dwarf Fortress.

Alas I download the Lazy Newb Pack, setup a graphic tile set, and started the game. I proceeded to create a world , then after spending 30 minutes attempting to decipher what the fuck was going on with picking an embarking location I then was presented with a "expedition supply simulator" with some complexity that I cried a actual tear of sorrow, at how stupid I must be to not get it.

Then I spawned into the world and proceeded to not have a hunter, nor any hunting tools and starve to death within a couple of hours of play time.

I shall be attempting again tonight, but seriously hard game is hard.

Early game food is really easy. Milk is very cheap at embark, so just choose something like alpaca milk from the extracts catagory. Once you're in, build a farm workshop real quick, turn on cheese making on someone, and turn your 100+ milk into enough cheese to feed your fortress for a year.

My favorite thing to do is embark at an 11+ high waterfall and use it as the entrance to my base. At the bottom of the falls I build a strainer basket so all the little gobos and elves that get swept off my entrance bridge go SPLAT and all their stuff collects gets washed off and moved to a safe collection point by the water flow.

Splattering enemies gives you their bones for use in crafts, and it looks cool too. Though 10x masterwork serrated steel discs in an artifact mechanism weapon trap makes awesome splatterings.

I prefer to have my primary intrance hall have grated ceiling and floors, and a small quantity of lava underneath it, connected to a pump system. in case of raids, the pumps get turned on, and the hall becomes a fatal tube of lava.

One must be careful about that though, because the whole fatality thing will not prevent dwarves from trying to run through it, and tantruming nobles have a tendency to flip levers at random.

Well are you new to it?? Because I am And with no prior knowledge of the game it is hell of a confusing.

I've been playing for two years, and still have "how the shit did THAT happen?" moments.

I've been playing for two years, and still have "how the shit did THAT happen?" moments.

Same. I don't think one can ever really master Dwarf Fortress. It pretty much just masters you.

Note to self: Deconstructing a Trade Depot when you've already got another? Guess what. The merchants won't just go to the other. Bye bye framerate.