Death By Grammar

jakj

In other news, public schools are phasing out classes in cursive handwriting, prompting some universities to consider creating elective courses for those who wish to be able to read "historic" documents.

My cursive is gorgeous. It makes me sad that my descendants might look at my letters and stories have no goddamn idea what they mean.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My handwriting when I was about 5 or 6 was incredible, and I was fast, too.

But then the millennium came, along with an education overhaul.

All my beautiful joined up handwriting was undone, and replaced with eerily print type, but very legible writing.

I'm so slow now, I've been prevented from studying humanities because I'm not able to write essays fast enough in exams.

By the way, does anyone remember Brain Gym?

I got a detention age 7 for saying it was 'a load of bollocks'.

My handwriting when I was about 5 or 6 was incredible, and I was fast, too.

But then the millennium came, along with an education overhaul.

All my beautiful joined up handwriting was undone, and replaced with eerily print type, but very legible writing.

I'm so slow now, I've been prevented from studying humanities because I'm not able to write essays fast enough in exams.

By the way, does anyone remember Brain Gym?

I got a detention age 7 for saying it was 'a load of bollocks'.

haha my parents got called in for a meeting with the principal once because I started signing my name in cursive when I was in second grade. apparently I'm not supposed to learn that until 4th grade or something, and it's terrible that I was doing it so early.

@Pulse Well aren't you a funny one.

Ah, no.

Kids TV in the UK has never been better to be honest.

Top flight writers, comedians and animators all working together, it's kinda awesome.

The writers from Dr. Who, Johnny Vegas, Stephen Fry, Marcus Brigstocke, Aardman Animations.

I'm quite happy watching that in the morning before I'm off out.

Even the "professionals" are screwing it up. Saint's Row 3 has numerous typos in subtitles, and I just saw a Blizzard rep say "item's" in an otherwise well-written posting.

I refuse to accept this as a natural progression of the language.

this is what I don't get: what good is having a heart attack over a misplaced punctuation mark going to do? are you going to mail bashiok or whoever a report card with a big red 'F' on it for using the possessive wrong once? send a letter to the guys who make saint's row to inform them of the atrocious alphabet soup they're attempting to pass off as english? what will it accomplish?

I really think this is a problem that easily solves itself. it's a really fast way to know if someone is stupid, or too lazy to even care about appearing like they have half a brain.

Think about it this way: Before the Internet, there were mistakes and typoes, but they didn't really bother as many people as they do now. I remember reading printed books where I'd discover a typo, but not until the fifth or sixth reading, because my brain just automatically corrected it. Sure, people messed up homophones, swapped letters, and yes, probably even added extraneous apostrophes (though I hadn't ever seen that before the current "texting" generation).

Probably the reason it bothers the fuck out of me so much, is it's "a sign of the times", of the shifting attitude of society, where written (and spoken) communication just isn't anymore something people put any energy into. As I saw a poster say, "1984 wasn't supposed to be an instruction manual." The mistakes with homophones and apostrophes in particular are a sign of people just not reading and writing actual books anymore, because doing so reinforces the language, leading to fewer mistakes. Some people are naturally better or worse at spelling and construction, but it is immediately (and painfully) obvious when someone just does not bother with anything more than rudimentary communcation.

This eats away at me because it is a symptom of the degredation of society, with attention spans getting shorter, patience getting shorter, interpersonal relation and interaction fading away. How far down the slippery slope of "what's the big deal, man" are we going to go before we finally start giving a fuck again, or will we actually reach bottom in my lifetime?

There was a recent poll that said U.S. Congress men and women speak at a 10th grade education level. It could be because of poor education or because they think the American people are dumb and talk in a way they think is simple for us to understand. It also is not just shown by their speech, but also their writing.

Hidden

Hehe, my first language was Turkish, then Dutch and now English, German, French (a little, French kinda sucks to me) and believe it or not, Greek and Latin (meaning that I learn on a grammar school ).

oh ok. dan snap jij wel waarom het moeilijk is om andere talen te leren.

aber dyslecten haben immer noch die meisten Probleme mit andere sprachen

at je deteste la language de français aussie.

but i do not speak any turkish. dont they just speak arabic over there?

in my language (dutch) you get a ' when when you have the subject multiple times

Noted, but the "not native to English" argument is worthless in this context, because we're talking about a very large portion of the US population that hasn't even left the country for more than a week at a time for five generations and couldn't write an essay if they were handed a dick and an inkwell.

oh ok. dan snap jij wel waarom het moeilijk is om andere talen te leren.

aber dyslecten haben immer noch die meisten Probleme mit andere sprachen

at je deteste la language de français aussie.

but i do not speak any turkish. dont they just speak arabic over there?

Nope, Turkish is a total different language than arabic and the Turkish language uses the normal letters and not the arabic ones.

Noted, but the "not native to English" argument is worthless in this context, because we're talking about a very large portion of the US population that hasn't even left the country for more than a week at a time for five generations and couldn't write an essay if they were handed a dick and an inkwell.

Am I missing a joke here, because last I checked it's pretty hard to write with your dick.

Did you find that out all by yourself?

I'm tempted to say "yes" just for the lols, but I will hold back the temptation.

Don't bring logic into this, but the point of the comment is that some people nowadays hold dicks more often than they do pens.

Well, that may be true. I guess it's the curse of the 2000-generation.