Death By Grammar

jakj

• Moderators

I do hope you realize i was joking. any game made anywhere in the world, except any korean ones, are in english. Universal language and all...

I do prefer this in english then swedish, swedes are just so... well to keep my rascist thoughts to myself, they are childish for short.

as for the shortening of words like imho, wtf, brb, afk. These are words you use when in hurry, as you are teaming with people in mmo's.

Not in a forum when you got all the time in the world to make a post that is readable.

youre not standing on a railway track, seconds from getting hit by a train to only post this:

Lulz kaker is kewl, brb tho

Seriously?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

keep my rascist thoughts to myself

Good idea. Anyways, I'm kind of happy there are people out there with such awful grammar. Grammar, like many things, can tell you a lot about a person. If they have awful grammar such as

Lulz kaker is kewl, brb tho

then I know I'll probably not get along with them, and they are most likely age 12 or under. It's not universally correct, and I still give that person a chance, but it's a warning sign.

It's not wrong to listen to these signs. Some people call it 'judging someone' and would say it is wrong, but it's just your subconcious naturally warning you, 'Hey this person is a dickbag, you won't get along with him or her,' so when that person acts like a dickbag to you, you don't flip out and lose your shit on them back.

It's the same thing as if a stranger seems creepy you're probably going to be more cautious around that person, so when they try to stab you, you don't let yourself be stabbed.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the major thing that bothers me is not the mistakes themselves, I myself have fallen victim to the odd poorly typed post or sentence, but the overall lack of respect for both the language and the person that you are tying to communicate with. To me when someone uses a large amount of abbreviations or simply neglects to use spell check, I feel it is disrespectful. It is like that person is saying to you "You are not worth the time it would take me to write out words or actually form a coherent thought". I could understand the odd use of brb, gtg and the like but only in certain cases.

I do hope you realize i was joking. any game made anywhere in the world, except any korean ones, are in english. Universal language and all...

Holy good goddamn that statement just shattered my idiot filter into thousands of fucking pieces. Thanks a lot, jerk, now I have to go fix it.

But more on topic other than pointing out derp, I think I've found the cause. Well, the whole 'lol u tk hm 2 da bar' speak is not a disease, per se, but in fact a symptom of a larger disease. Intelligence has become a social and political disadvantage, higher learning institutes called 'indoctrination machines'...well, there's a series of articles that say it much better than I could. Have a look if it isn't 'tl;dr'.

ALSO:

There has been an unfortunate uptick in academic book bannings and firings, made worse by a nationwide disparagement of teachers, teachers' unions and scholarship itself. Brooke Harris, a teacher at Michigan's Pontiac Academy for Excellence, was summarily fired after asking permission to let her students conduct a fundraiser for Trayvon Martin's family. Working at a charter school, Harris was an at-will employee, and so the superintendent needed little justification for sacking her. According to Harris, "I was told… that I'm being paid to teach, not to be an activist." (It is perhaps not accidental that Harris worked in the schools of Pontiac, a city in which nearly every public institution has been taken over by cost-cutting executives working under "emergency manager" contracts. There the value of education is measured in purely econometric terms, reduced to a "product," calculated in "opportunity costs.")

This coming from my fucking home state it pissed me off something fierce.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/18/anti-intellectualism-us-book-banning

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/15/AR2008021502901.html

http://www.alternet.org/story/95109/

I hope you liked the idea of Idiocracy. Because we're going to be living it, if we aren't already.

I admit I have trouble with capitalizing "I" in the sentence at times, I also have trouble with where, were, etc. Same with there and those kind of things. Stuff that sounds the same with a different meaning and spelling.

I also dont mind people saying "LOL" out loud, its like a sarcastic laugh. Things that DO bother me is crap like "I have 2 go get something" Are you really saving time by holding shift and pressing 2? Isnt it easier to right to?

I say IMO (In my opinion), BRB, lol, lmao, etc. Not stupid crap like "LUL DO U WNT 2 COME DWN 2 TOWN 2DAY?"

Wtf is another one, it just seems far more cleaner and better then saying what the fuck.

Oh my god, "PLZ/ples" is one I CAN NOT FUCKIN STAND. Same with thx. If you dont take the effort to ask like a proper human being by saying "please" then you dont deserve it, if you say "thx" then your CLEARLY not appreciative -_-

Its weird that, ones that save 1 or 2, maybe 3 letters I can not stand. If its in a very busy situation like PVP in MC, then sure use u or ur. But not normally.. Love of god -_-

Weird isn't it? I also don't get pissy over ' in things like dont.

I have no issues with abbreviations, but only in certain situations. What really pushes my buttons is when people say LOL, BRB in conversation. It serves no purpose and doesn't even save time/letters.

On a side note, who decided that light should be spelt Lite? I can just immagine a commercial for that spelling change...

Introducing LITE the new way to spell Light, now with 20% fewer letters!!!!!

Not sure if staying on topic or legit mistakes there. Either way, well done :)

Also, why would you press shift + 2 to write 2?

I wanted to say that earlier, but I simply could not find the words. I'd assume he has a different keyboard than we do, if he has to hold shift. Or it was a simple mistake in his thought process; doesn't matter though. 2 vs. two, not much of a timesaver if people would actually take the time to learn to keyboard.

Excuse me (READ: Oops!). I meant to write 'type,' but I was thinking of the keyboarding class (That was its name) in High School, so it was a legitimate mistake as opposed to a failure in grammar. That is a good example of grammar failures though, so I'll leave it be.

the term "keyboarding" is more of an anachronism than anything else. it was used back when typewriters were being replaced by PCs. of course you can't type without a typewriter, so what do you do with a PC? you keyboard, clearly. it's not like they're anything more than glorified typewriters anyway, am I right?

Another thing that I can't stand (and this not directed at anyone in particular, DarkScorpion just made me think of this) is when people use "not being from here" as an excuse. In some cases it is understandable but don't use it as a "get out of grammar free" card.

Simple solution: If you're not confident with your ability to use a language, type it (Correctly!) into Google Translate in your native language, then copy/paste the result in their language(s).

Uhhhh...this is advice only for the situation where you know maybe six words of English. In such a case, you should write it in your native language, and then use Google Translate pasted below it. If you have any grasp of English whatsoever, just stick to it.