Uh....Hi?

Apprentice of War

Hello, my minecraft username is KratosX0, I am....well I'll just say it right out: I'm new to the tekkit side of minecraft, and I hope to become experienced at it

Benn playing minecraft for a good while now, and frankly, I haven't used any mods as widespread as what tekkit provides; I decided to try my hand here after the server I played on had to temporarily shutdown because the owner is moving (house and server wise); other than that, I hope to....well, just kick general posteriors at minecraft once more

Other than that, if I so have a question about the tekkit/technic, do I ask it here?

Hey dude, welcome to the world of mods. First off, you seem to be under the misconception that tekkit provides these mods. That's not the case. The Technic pack team uses their free time to gather the mods available out there from the mod makers and put them into a launcher. This makes it easy for the less computer literate to download and play all these awesome mods. The rest of the time the team tries to get the mods to play nice with each other (no easy task).

I'm clarifying all this because you will need to start differentiating between the mods if your going to figure out how to use them all. No use looking on the RedPower wiki when you are trying to figure out how Switch Motors work (RailCraft). A quick Google search can save you literally minutes of time.

Other than googling the wikis for Equivalent Exchange, BuildCraft, RedPower, RailCraft, and Computer Craft, I'd suggest you check out a few youtubers who do mod tutorials/playthroughs.

Direwolf20 Plays with all the mods included in the tekkit/technic pack and then some (Yay Portal Gun!)

Yogscast These guys are fun to watch too, but if you're looking for a detailed walk through of every mod, look somewhere else.

You should really start small, and focus on each mod a little as you go. You'll slowly start to get familiar with aspects of all the mods.

One last thing the Technic Pack is singleplayer and thus contains some single player only mods like ThaumCraft. The Tekkit Pack is multiplayer and all servers will be using the current recommended build.

I wouldn't recommend watching Yogscast if you're looking for useful information about the mods, they're mostly ignorant of the mods and how they work, possibly intentionally for comedic value; they're entertaining, but you're not going to learn much. Direwolf20 is definitely a good place to go if you want information, he goes very in-depth with his explanations of the mods he uses.

I wouldn't recommend watching Yogscast if you're looking for useful information about the mods, they're mostly ignorant of the mods and how they work, possibly intentionally for comedic value; they're entertaining, but you're not going to learn much. Direwolf20 is definitely a good place to go if you want information, he goes very in-depth with his explanations of the mods he uses.

If you're talking about Lewis and Simon, you're totally right :D They absolutely have no idea as to what they're doing. However, Duncan (The guy who knows what he's doing) has his own series, and it's very informative. I myself used it to get started, and it was very helpful. He covers pretty much all IC, most of EE,and little bits of RP and BC.

well, since I haven't played this part of minecraft at all, I figure I can do some single player; only thing is, I want to turn off the mo' creatures mod in technic, but when I go click the mod select button when technic is selected, it doesn't bring up anything that lets me disable the mo-creatures mod

ugh, dont get me started on lewis and simon. They make my head hurt. I laughed at one tutorial today by some other pair of kids and the one's mom walked in his room during the record and ragged his ass about chores and homework :)

And by all means ask away. I'm 40 now and frankly been on the internet/bbs's since 300baud and lately i've gotten a little tired of the knee-jerk "use the search moron" response people throw out instantly on poor simple questions. If people weren't allowed to make new question posts after it was asked once already all forums on the net would be dead frankly.

well, since I haven't played this part of minecraft at all, I figure I can do some single player; only thing is, I want to turn off the mo' creatures mod in technic, but when I go click the mod select button when technic is selected, it doesn't bring up anything that lets me disable the mo-creatures mod

Meaning that you're using the dev build. I would tell you to play with the recommended build, as it won't be horribly buggy, have texture problems and it will be generally more stable. Plus, it does not have Mo's creature.

Welcome! When I started playing the main thing I focussed on was EE (Equivalent Exchange). However this was mainly because I like to be creative on survival and make cool efficient machines. EE is great because you can generate energy that you can use to make (pretty much) all the items in minecraft. If you like testing and being creative EE is probably the best mod to get you started.

I personally found it easier to focus on one mod at a time and go to red power of EMC generation.

However if you want to keep away from magic and want to stick with mechanical then I'd go with either Buildcraft and Industrial craft or Red Power first. RedPower is a mod where you can be creative and make lots of cool mechanisms whereas BC&IC are more about collecting resources.

Hope this helps you out =)

I'm 40 now and frankly been on the internet/bbs's since 300baud

You're one old tree, Mr. Ent. Since you're such a wise old professional internet person and it's surely inconceivable that you're lying just to bolster your argument, (sarcasm) tell us some of the Lost Secrets of the Internet that you've kept from the olden days? Pretty please, sir?

Right, so that should keep him busy tripping over himself if he's lying, which he likely is. Hi, welcome, new guy. I'm the "disappear and come back over and over again" guy, and I may be able to answer questions about Thaumcraft 2 if you have any to ask. I've been Thaumcraft crazy as of late.

Thaumcraft 2 is rather new, and the mod designer abhors the entire idea of giving any useful hints about how to do anything with his mod, ("It would spoil the secret! Nooo!" Nevermind that people might not want to play the guessing game with your mod for hours on end just to figure out how to take their first steps.) so that sort of information can be hard to come by. But it's a good mod, bless the lunatic who made it.

I'm lying? Why is it people assume nobody on the internet is like older than they are? Yes, i'm 40. Yes my first modem was 9600 baud ( I keep the 300 my dad used at his desk at work ) and I paid $200 for my first 4meg ram upgrade on my 486 home built pc. I also paid $250 for my first 2x scsi cd burner. I first started programming games in Basic on an atari 7400 that stored data on cassettes. I played rpg's that used dual 5 1/4 floppy drives because they were so huge. Hell, my avatar drawing is about 20 years old now.

If you're talking about Lewis and Simon, you're totally right :D They absolutely have no idea as to what they're doing. However, Duncan (The guy who knows what he's doing) has his own series, and it's very informative. I myself used it to get started, and it was very helpful. He covers pretty much all IC, most of EE,and little bits of RP and BC.

Duncan appears to really know his stuff with buildcraft and IC2, but his knowledge with EE is still has some room to grow. Don't really know on the Redpower2 stuff, as he has really just started that stuff.

Duncan makes 'those little mistakes' that annoy the living hell out of me though sometimes. You can see where he does cuts and fixes things, which I don't mind (I actually prefer it, it shows a degree of professionalism), so why can't he make cuts and fix his mistakes and misconceptions and explain where he was wrong?

Direwolf's okay, and good to learn bits and pieces, but his playlists can be so incomprehensible or outdated that I could figure those things out myself more accurately myself in less time.

Duncan makes 'those little mistakes' that annoy the living hell out of me though sometimes. You can see where he does cuts and fixes things, which I don't mind (I actually prefer it, it shows a degree of professionalism), so why can't he make cuts and fix his mistakes and misconceptions and explain where he was wrong?

Direwolf's okay, and good to learn bits and pieces, but his playlists can be so incomprehensible or outdated that I could figure those things out myself more accurately myself in less time.

Indeed. Last time I watched one of duncan's tutorials it just looked like he didn't know what he was doing. xD

The one thing that annoys me about direwolf is that he doesn't know anything about vanilla redstone =P. So when he has something which could take very little resources with regular redstone, he uses red alloy wire instead and it just makes me cringe... But that's what comes from being a vanilla redstoner for a year or so I suppose

Indeed. Last time I watched one of duncan's tutorials it just looked like he didn't know what he was doing. xD

The one thing that annoys me about direwolf is that he doesn't know anything about vanilla redstone =P. So when he has something which could take very little resources with regular redstone, he uses red alloy wire instead and it just makes me cringe... But that's what comes from being a vanilla redstoner for a year or so I suppose

I've never particularly enjoyed redstone or its applications. I prefer simplicity in that aspect. If I can just use a torch, button, pressure plate, or lever as opposed to anything else, that item will be my first choice. From then on it's simplicity first, always. Just my personal preference, though.

I've never particularly enjoyed redstone or its applications. I prefer simplicity in that aspect. If I can just use a torch, button, pressure plate, or lever as opposed to anything else, that item will be my first choice. From then on it's simplicity first, always. Just my personal preference, though.

Yep I agree with you there. The simplest way of doing something is normally always the best way. The thing about redstone is coming up with that simple idea. Recently instead of redstone I've been using computercraft computer blocks just because they can do exactly what you want to do in a single block.

Yep I agree with you there. The simplest way of doing something is normally always the best way. The thing about redstone is coming up with that simple idea. Recently instead of redstone I've been using computercraft computer blocks just because they can do exactly what you want to do in a single block.

Looks like I'll be learning to program soon! I hate mucking about with redstone and I avoid it as much as possible. Which is odd, because I'm absolutely in love with EU Cables and Buildcraft Pipes.

Looks like I'll be learning to program soon! I hate mucking about with redstone and I avoid it as much as possible. Which is odd, because I'm absolutely in love with EU Cables and Buildcraft Pipes.

Hehe yeah indeed. it's probably better to learn how to program, especially seen as computers are really really cheap to make. Much cheaper than any redpower 2 component. It's a shame that the redpower2 computers are so expensive =P.

I don't get on very well with BC pipes or EU =P I just about get by but its RP pipes for me =D

• 2 weeks later...

well, say I wanted to ask a question about a particular type of tekkit server im trying to look for, could I ask it here

mainly asking because i'd like the help to find the right server for me in the mess of servers that are either "open then whitelisted", whitelisted, or something else

im just planning this in-case the server im usually on gets blammo'd somehow